El Castillo de San Jose was raised due to the need to defend the island from pirate attacks. Today it holds the International Museum of Contemporary Art, created in 1975 by Cesar Manrique, with the purpose of bringing to the island the most characteristic works of modern art.
The castle is a fortress that was built in the C18 by order of Carlos III. The work took place between 1774 and 1779 and involved a high number of islanders.
Cesar Manrique was in charge of the renovations, which respected the internal structure of the building, adding only the café-restaurant to the original structure.
On 8th December 1976, the castle opened as the International Museum of Contemporary Art, attracting a great deal of attention as the most ambitious art exhibition in Spain as 180 internationally recognised artists attended the event.