LanzaroteIsland.com The more complete leisure and tourism guide about lanzarote
Twitter Facebook YouTube rss feed

Home > Forum about Lanzarote

Forum about Lanzarote

Forums: Lanzarote | Miscellanea | Work | old forum

Register

Lanzarote Forum

Opinions, questions and advice about accommodation, tourism, leisure and anything you may need in Lanzarote. 
Pages: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: rip-off lanzarote
Posted by: Richard ()
Date: February 23, 2004 12:17AM

Hi Ezzer,
I love Lanzarote. I've been 4 times now, with and without children and I'll be returning in July.
My advice to anyone visiting is to hire a car at least for a couple of days see the other resorts and tour the island.
Playa Blanca is lovely and a good choice of restaurants, most of them with views over the ocean but no real 18 - 30 style nightlife just a couple of friendly bars.
If you do manage to leave PDC Puerto Calero is worth a visit. Its a small but very pretty marina and the harbour is lined with quality restaurants. The restaurants are pricier than PDC but cheaper than the UK. The Chinese restaurant was excellent.
I can't help you with nightlife at PDC cos Ive never stayed there just visited for the day and as you probably gathered by now my favourite pastime is eating.
I'd recommend the Catamaran trip from Puerto Calera. Its a good day out and takes you to Papagayo beaches, the best on the island.
I could go on for hours about Lanzarote,I've visited most places but I don't want to bore you. If theres anything specific you want to know just ask and I'll do my best.
Have a good holiday.
Richard.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Ann Leneghan ()
Date: February 23, 2004 08:48PM

A general answer to all the messages, good and bad, re Lanzarote.
I don't condone bad service or manners. Parents are responsible for the behaviour of their offspring and I have experienced first hand the complete lack of parental control on holiday. Are children allowed to behave like this in their own homes I wonder or is it just a holiday thing?
I have been in business in Lanzarote for the past 8 years ( I own a Restaurant and Bar) in Los Pocillos in PDC. Contrary to what some people think we don't serve spam. In fact a 10oz filet steak with all the trimmings will set you back only Euro12.50 - considering Lanzarote does not produce Vegetables, Meat, Chickens etc. etc all of which has to be imported at cost, this is very good value. Car hire can be had for Euro120 per week ( I've just returned from reland where it cost me Euro400 for a weeks car hire). Min Euro21.50 for a steak which did not include all the trimmings. ( Now that's expensive)
Lanzarote is a very small Island and as such does not have the infrastructure of a huge public transport system - Buses run from Costa Teguise-Puerto del Carmen-Playa Blanca. They are on time and cheap. Car hire is a must if you want to see the Island and not just to pool or beach at your resort. Taxis are also very cheap.
The island and it's people are very welcoming and friendly. The only thing they do not appreciate is scantily clad tourists (scimpy bikinis and swimming trunks) in supermarkets etc. After all we don't do that when the sun comes out in Ireland or England - or do we? Maybe I've been living in beautiful Lanzarote too long.
There are many wonderful sights to see, some excellent restaurants and bars (a lot of typical English and Irish bars) who are catering for the diverse and different kind of tourist to Lanzarote.
The visitor musk seek out the less obvious.
So to all new visitors and return of old friends, don't be put off coming to see our Island.

Posted by: AD ()
Date: February 23, 2004 10:17PM

Dearest Spam witch - I am flattered that you considered asking me to marry you, but what was it I said to make you change your mind???

I was only messing around when I referred to Captain Birds Eye ready meals - everyone knows that Pot Noodles are much healthier. Maybe we can settle our differences one evening watching a romantic movie like Porky's, whilst slurping the chicken and mushroom flavour snacks (obviously garnished with the excellent soya sauce)? Maybe we could even push the boat out and indulge in a spot of jam roly poly for desert? You see, I know how to treat a girl......

Ok, I'm off to the corner shop to buy some crisps and a yorkie, take care....AD xxx

Posted by: Kazzzy ()
Date: February 24, 2004 11:28AM

Simon - we are going to Lanzarote in June and we were thinking of taking the ferry over to Fuerteventura for a the day for a look - judging by your e-mail it doesn't sound like it was worth it. Can you tell me why you didn't enjoy Fuerteventura and if you would recommend the trip or not as I don't want to waste my money.

Thanks.

Date: February 24, 2004 09:57PM

Hi Simon

We're situated in Shopping Centre Los Pocillos near the Jameos Playa Hotel. Small centre at the roundabout, 2 levels - we're on level 1, above the Boathouse (used to be a Sports Bar). We have a fab terrace overlooking the sea and its very relaxing. And yes we have Dorada on Draught an din bottles along with lots more.
Call us on + 34 928 513701 to let us know so we can reserve a table for you.

Date: February 25, 2004 04:32PM

Simon H

Looking forward to seeing you in June
No doubt be chatting on the Forum before then

Posted by: lee ()
Date: February 26, 2004 11:46PM

lanzarote will be great i sure...positive waves ...3 couples from plymouth on our annual trip to the canaries ( no kids) will hire car, play golf,wind surf, hit night life big time..good bars we we find...done all the other islands , lanzarote wiill be brill ...please recommend any cool bars in Los Polillos and ann leneghan what is the name of your place ill visit in march
LOL oldies on tour

Posted by: nancy ()
Date: February 27, 2004 01:57AM

hi there,

don't worry about your holiday. one bad experience doesn't make up for the four fantastic ones we have had. sure there is burger bars and chips,but there is a wealth of brill eating places in pdc. nobody has mentioned the daytime with the fantastic weather, the great beaches, the brill boat trips etc. chill out you will love it. this is our wedding anniversary anf seven of us are going to a villa for a brill time, but as far as apartments go, you can't beat the atalaya on pedro barba.

enjoy

ps try mama miama italian , just before lanis grill

Posted by: Kazzzy ()
Date: February 27, 2004 10:48AM

I have read with interest all the views on this subject as I am going to Playa Blanca in June and would make the following comments.

Whilst I have never been to Lanzarote before, as with all holidays it pays to do your research before you go - you are logging on to forums now to complain about your holiday so you could have quite easily checked out the apartments and the area on-line before hand - could you not?

I can't say I would relish staying at a resort/complex full of loud, noisy people but the world is made up of all sorts and you have to accept that not everyone wants the same as you - if you want solitude then pitch a tent in the middle of the sahara.

My experience with accommodation is you get what you pay for, generally speaking. If you want 5 star luxury then expect to pay 5 star prices its as simple as that.

As regards prices in general I think things are dearer in Spain since the Euro its a fact..... If you want Sainsburys prices then stay at home go to Devon and shop in Sainsburys although I would add that your not shopping at the cheapest place at home....(research shows Asda is).

In closing none of us can guarantee anything when we go on holiday we can only hope that it satisfies our requirements and we have made the right choices... I spent 2 weeks in Menorca 2 years ago and for 10 days it rained not what I had hoped for but what can you do, you have to make the best of a bad thing I know its hard at the time and obviously there are things that we could and should not tolerate but whether there is such a thing as the Perfect Holiday is debateable.

To all those going to Lanzarote - Have a Fantastic Holiday as I intend to.

I rest my case.

Date: March 02, 2004 09:01PM

Hi Lee

My place is called "Leneghans Restaurant & Poitin Stil" - Looking forward to seeing you all in March - have a great flight and we'll make sure you have a great time when you get here.

Posted by: lynne ()
Date: March 04, 2004 01:14PM

good for you Deb. we have been visting Lanzarote for over 15 years , firstly as young partying couple(!) and now with young family. It's a fantastic island with lots to see and do and many good restaurants etc - it is like anywhere you visit in the world - it is what you make it and we aways enjoy our breaks there whether it be 2* or 5*. Normally visit Playa Blanca but are coming over on 1st April for 2 weeks to Sands Beach villas in Costs Teguise. Where is your bar as we may have to visit for some culture?!

Date: March 05, 2004 05:12PM

Hi Lynne

Hope you have agreat time in Costa Teg. My bar is called "The Snug" and i'ts in the middle of Pueblo Marinero (where the Friday evening market is held). Ask for my sister Tina - tell her told you to visit and tell her I promised you a free drink. Maybe I'll also see you there.
Ann

Posted by: Paul ()
Date: March 06, 2004 10:25AM

Seems to me that the topic is no longer the subject, so to avoid scrolling down through what will be sixty messages can't we consider this one dead and anyone else start a new thread -----please!!!!!

Posted by: FrankLB ()
Date: March 07, 2004 03:18PM

been going to Playa Blanca 10yrs +, tried Costa Teguise for a few yrs too but gave up on tour companies as they were crap!!
Now book direct with one owner & have no probs. Try "Private Villas Magazine". Going back again in September with my disabled wife.

Posted by: Rich ()
Date: March 11, 2004 02:44PM

Hi Deb
Loved your account of Lanzarote. A friend and i are packing up and driving over from Leicester! I am a restaurant manager ( or was ) My mate owns a bar here in Leicester. We're gonna need a place to live, we will have a car so transport will not be a problem, any ideas ?
Thanks Rich

Posted by: Kay ()
Date: March 14, 2004 10:44PM

Hi Jen

We are going to the same hotel on the 28th March, please can you tell me if it's alright?

Many thanks

Kay

Re: christmas in costa teguise
Posted by: Carol ()
Date: March 15, 2004 09:48PM

Hi
we have also booked for xmas 2004 Costa
teq - El Trebol Half board but have been reading some reviews on Holidays uncovered and it hasn't got good reviews on food, thinking of changing the hotel for one in Playa Blanca

Carol

Posted by: Moira ()
Date: March 20, 2004 03:27PM

Hi
We are going to Lanzorote in May and you are scaring the kids here. They are wondering what the hell they'll eat, or if theyre mother will come back a stone lighter. They want to ask 'is there a good take away in pdc'.

Posted by: Jacqueline ()
Date: March 22, 2004 02:14PM

Hi There!

I am going to Lanzarote on the 29th March for a week with my brother we are staying in the Aquarius Apartments just wondering if anyone lnows them or has stayed in them before? H avent been abroad for a long time so im really loking forwarsd to going as ive been at uni for the past few years and couldnt afford to go abroad! Is the weather good at the moment? I mean is it tanning weather? cheers!!

Posted by: kat ()
Date: March 23, 2004 09:22PM

Thank you so much Derek, you have just made me laugh out loud - a welcome break after reading the preceeding entries on this page. Booked my holiday as a last min deal two days ago, and was just about to start crying when I saw your message! I am sure it can't be that bad... can it?!?!?

Pages: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

LanzaroteIsland.com is not responsible for the content of the messages on this forum. Comments posted are owned by the person that posts them and we do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message. The messages express the views of the author of the message, not the views of LanzaroteIsland.com.

Lanzarote forum by Phorum