Home > Forum about Lanzarote

Forum about Lanzarote

Forums: Lanzarote | Miscellanea | Work | old forum

Register

Lanzarote Forum

Car hire
Posted by: jonpum3 ()
Date: April 14, 2008 05:21PM

Thanks to everyone for answering my query on airport transfers.

I'll be staying in Playa Blanca. Can anyone recommend a good car hire place?

I'm stopping for 10nights. I need to assess whether it would be cheaper to hire a car for the full holiday from the airport (therefore saving on taxi fares).

There's four of us travelling.

However, I'm not planning to drive every day. I'll want to spend time sunbathing and staying at my resort destination. It would seem a waste to have a car sitting there doing nothing most days. I'd imagine 2-3 days would be more than enough to hire a car.

Re: Car hire
Posted by: PB Matt ()
Date: April 14, 2008 08:44PM

Hi Jon,
When we fly out to Lanzarote we always hire a car as it is the easiest and reliable option. The taxi queues seem to go on forever and it is always a mad rush to jump in the few available taxis. For the past few visits we have used Auto Reissen a German company. It was quick and simple for us as we have inherited a routine; when you get off the plane send a few of your family members or whoever is flying with you to the carrasel to get your bags and the others to go to queue up to get your hired car. By the time the bags have been found we have been able to set off straight away to the car park to collect our car. We too stay in PB and it is always a stress relieving drive there after a long day traveling. Auto Reissen have been fairly cheep as we always hire 7 seaters because a few of us fly out and the car comes in handy for day trips around Lanzarote because it seems to be a wasted trip if you don't get out and see what the Island have to offer.
Hope my advice is helpful Jon.
Matt.

Date: April 14, 2008 08:45PM

Hi Jon,
When we fly out to Lanzarote we always hire a car as it is the easiest and reliable option. The taxi queues seem to go on forever and it is always a mad rush to jump in the few available taxis. For the past few visits we have used Auto Reissen a German company. It was quick and simple for us as we have inherited a routine; when you get off the plane send a few of your family members or whoever is flying with you to the carrasel to get your bags and the others to go to queue up to get your hired car. By the time the bags have been found we have been able to set off straight away to the car park to collect our car. We too stay in PB and it is always a stress relieving drive there after a long day traveling. Auto Reissen have been fairly cheep as we always hire 7 seaters because a few of us fly out and the car comes in handy for day trips around Lanzarote because it seems to be a wasted trip if you don't get out and see what the Island have to offer.
Matt.

Date: April 14, 2008 08:45PM

Hi Jon,
Matt.

Posted by: jonpum3 ()
Date: April 15, 2008 10:08AM

Thanks Matt and Flash. That's really helpful advice. I'll check out the two car hire places. Do you pre-book, or just turn up and book it at the airport?
Do they need the paper bit of my driving licence as well? Are there any hidden charges and excesses etc? ie. limited mileage etc.
Thanks
Jon

Posted by: Will2 ()
Date: April 15, 2008 10:35AM

Hi Jon - you can pick one up at the airport but likely to pay more.

Jon you say about not driving much and feel that you'd be wasting money - but - car hire is way way cheaper in Lanza than in UK.

Yes its a bit of a luxury but knowing you can just jump in the car to whizz to the papagayo at 3pm in the afernoon rather than being stuck with the tourists - or for two of you to whizz up to Femes for a pre dinner beer when the sun goes down whilst the others crank up the barbie you just cannot do without a car.

Plus you will be able to do a big shop - and seem to remember beer and wine for 4 boys weighs rather a lot - without your arms dropping off.

Auto reisen and holiday autos in my experience usually the cheapest - but check them all out! Normally you just reserve online then pay when you get there.

You should need paper bit but I've never been asked for it.

No add ons as far as I have seen - but unless you plan a few trips to Orzola and back mileage is never an issue.

Posted by: Will2 ()
Date: April 15, 2008 12:02PM

They will be the only traffic lights you see on your entire holiday - just make sure your roundabout etiquette is up to scratch......... think theres a thread on this site to help you that probably needs airing again....!!! Flash?!

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

LanzaroteIsland.com is not responsible for the content of the messages on this forum. Comments posted are owned by the person that posts them and we do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message. The messages express the views of the author of the message, not the views of LanzaroteIsland.com.

Lanzarote forum by Phorum