LanzaroteIsland.com The more complete leisure and tourism guide about lanzarote
Twitter Facebook YouTube rss feed

Home > Forum about Lanzarote

Forum about Lanzarote

Forums: Lanzarote | Miscellanea | Work | old forum

Register

Lanzarote Forum

Opinions, questions and advice about accommodation, tourism, leisure and anything you may need in Lanzarote. 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
bbq's
Posted by: sexybum272 ()
Date: April 15, 2008 03:52PM

Hi my husband and i are to visit puerto del carmen for our first wedding anniversary for the 1st time ever in june for 2 weeks and we have hired a private villa. I was just thinking that seeing as though we have included at the villa a bbq area by the pool....then maybe we could take advantage of that! But where would i get the chalk from. Maybe a silly question to some people but is this widely available from the supermarkets over there. Like i said this will be our 1st visit so im just not sure??

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: bbq's
Posted by: Elle1971 ()
Date: April 15, 2008 04:02PM

You'll have no problems picking up charcoal - it's very widely available.

Happy BBQing!

Elle xx

Date: April 15, 2008 04:07PM

thanks elle cant wait xxx

Posted by: Will2 ()
Date: April 16, 2008 10:37AM

Chalk?!

Just following on from simons post..........

Make your own burgers - easy to do and to be fair the local ones are pretty rubbish. Sausages - again pretty rubbish - unless you can find proper raw chorizo which is one of the most gorgeous things to cook on barbie ever.

Fresh sardines are great with a bit of salt if you can find them. The pork is excellent - have done my own spare ribs which have been great.

If anyone is looking for a barbecue book - look up "Barbecue - where theres smoke theres flavour" by a bloke called Eric Treuille - something like that! it is brilliant.

Charcoal - we always get 3 or 4 bags of different brands - i wouldn't recommend the stuff which is impregnated with lighter fuel as burns to quickly and find the briquets are crap too.

Date: April 16, 2008 03:56PM

Get to Ropers next time you're over Will - we get frozen sardine fillets from there (they have whole sardines too). I know they're not fresh - but they're damn fine. A bit of melted butter and cracked black pepper - just lovely! I grill ours, but there's no reason why they couldn't be thrown onto the BBQ instead.

Do you not like those short fat sausages to the right of the meat counter in Hiperdino? They do them in Ropers too. In fact the Ropers ones come with a chorizo looking (and tasting) one, a black pudding, a white pudding, and something else - all in the same pack. First had them a pal's BBQ - and they were really succulent (Alan ate my black pudding, I really don't like it).

Haven't found sausage meat here yet (but only just started looking). If anyone's spotted it, do let me know.

Homemade burgers are the best! Especially with garlic and chilli in them.

Where do you get your spare ribs from Will?

Elle xx

PS: Am fancying a BBQ now. Once this wind dies down a bit we might just have one. Yum!

Date: April 16, 2008 04:08PM

im so excited now just 10 weeks to go and il be throwing some of those homemade burgers and sardine fillets on the bbq!!!

Just one more question if ayone can help we are near the los poscillos beach ..... calle noruega are we near all the bars and restaurants there??
i know they say that av las playas is full of them but are we in the middle ... at the end ... if anyone knows this area that would be fantastic!!!!

Date: April 16, 2008 04:22PM

Los Pocillos beach has the main avenida strip nightlife about a 15/20 minute walk to the right as you face the beach. That's where it starts.... and carries on for another 45 minute stroll all the way along - and then you hit the old town. That's where most of the bars and restaurants are. Centro Atlantico (the busiest bit, that wakes up around 10pm) is probably about 40 minutes walk from your place.

On the way there is also another commercial centre with Mucky Duck II and a few other little places in it. That's about 10 minutes for you.

If you turned left at the beach instead, you get to Matagorda. It's a really nice promenade walk along there - I do it regularly. There's a few bars and restaurants along the fron (2 mins from the beach they start). Then about 15 minutes along you get to Matagorda centre which we really like. Had a nice drink in The Auld Triangle last night, then headed into Chev's Bar across the way.

But there is also a Commercial Centre right across the road from Los Pocillos beach. The Offshore Cafe and Grill (Michelle & Tony - €1.50 a large beer), Fiddlers Green (Good cheap pub grub & live entertainment - Miguel), G & Ts Cafe Bar (George & Trish hence the name), Leneghans (which I believe predominantly does wedding receptions now - but someone can feel free to correct me) and a couple of other bars and restaurants.

if you don't fancy the walk - then a taxi isn't that expensive anyway, and they're fairly plentiful. There's roadworks from Los Pocillos up to the start of the strip at the moment... but you can still walk it anyway. A Taxi from yours would probably cost €4 tops to Centro Atlantico.

A Google search will bring most of those bars up for you. I can't post our own website address, as it's deemed as advertising. But as I say, Google should throw up some more info for you anyway.

Hope that's helped!

Elle xx

Date: April 16, 2008 04:25PM

wow elle you really now this area!!!! thats fantastic thankyou

Date: April 16, 2008 04:26PM

I know Playa Blanca better (that's where we live) - but because of work we spend a lot of time in the other main resorts too.

Elle xx

Date: April 16, 2008 04:27PM

Normally get most of my meat from Vivos/hiperdino have a great range but bit of a long way to go. They have excellent fresh fish counter - but as can never identify what the fish are have only cooked a few with varied results!

I suppose becuase not there for any huge length of time just pick up the sardines fresh then cook for lunch straight away! I do get the frozen king prawns - stick on skewers and marinate in sweet chilli sauce!

Got the ribs there as well - boil for ten mins to render fat off and then homemade BBQ sauces and then 5 mins on the barbie.

Did get funny looks when asked the butcher if he would mince his finest fillet steak for my burgers!
Bit of salt, bit of pepper, maybe some cumin, green chilli for some kick perhaps?

Date: April 16, 2008 04:29PM

thanks celtygirl il be sure to have a look at that this afternoon. but i sure do like this website as everyone is so helpful and friendly!!

Date: April 16, 2008 04:33PM

Thanks for that Will. By the way - the old butchers from Vivos have now opened up their own shop. It's in San Bartolome I think. If you want the address let me know and I'll dig out the advert from the Gazette. We've not been up there yet, so can't compare the quality or prices.

Also... if you're doing your Vivos/HD run... and heading to Ropers too... then go one street back behind Ropers and head up the to the mini roundabout that would take you to Strawberry Fields. On that roundabout is a newish place that might be worth a visit. haven't been - so can't say if it's any good. looks the part though.

We did give the new fish place at Playa Blanca harbour a try (cheers for the tip Flash). The fish looked amazing - but we were horrified by the prices. We're loving "gallo" right now - it's a real meaty fish, and we prefer it to merluza - but it was 4 times more expensive than the frozen stuff in Spar. I'm all for quality - but we felt that was too much. It was around €16 a kilo. Nice, but not THAT nice!

Elle xx

PS: Cheers CG. winking smiley

Date: April 16, 2008 04:37PM

i think i will get a pleasant surprise im already planning what we are eating for dinner on the 1st day we get there lol. you have all been so helpful.

Si i take it there is plenty of nightclubs here also.

Date: April 16, 2008 04:39PM

You'll find the nightclubs are mainly in the Centro Atlantico area. But don't ask your taxi driver to take you to a nighclub hon - it means brothel here. Ask for either Centro Atlantico, or discotheque instead winking smiley

Elle xx

Date: April 16, 2008 04:42PM

Well im really glad you told me that hahaha i dont want to end up there. When we went to paphos ... cyprus last year my husband and my dad disappeared for hours we eventually found them in a bar with topless dancers lol

Date: April 16, 2008 05:27PM

San Bartolome is a bit of a stretch for a butchers run! Must be something half decent in the south....

So hang on when hiperdino took over the suppliers set up there own place?! Am confused?!

What/where is the fish place in PB harbour? Are we talking El galleon or the place in the big warehouse looking building? Or somewhere else totally?

Am afraid centro atlantico is more like the strip in San Antonio, Ibiza - wouldn't really call them night clubs - rather bars with a dj and dance floor that you can just walk in and out of.

Date: April 16, 2008 05:30PM

thats ok i was in san antonio ibiza year before last, had a great time!!!! just could have done with a fortnight to recover when i got home lol

i think im gonna like this place!!!

Date: April 16, 2008 08:15PM

That's the one Mike - cheers!

Will the fish place is next door to El Galeon - just to the right of it. Just a doorway. And yes, Hipeerdino brought their own boys in as butchers.

Elle xx

Date: April 24, 2008 09:04PM

Hi bridget, just a thought, but, have u thought about lining the bbq in layers of tin foiland just pricking small holes in the foil, then u could use the old one.

Date: April 24, 2008 09:11PM

Hi Bridget - yes, they are available quite cheaply. Depends which resort you are in. Best place in Playa Blanca is Salvator's shop in the same street as the Post Office. You can pick one up for €15. Hiperdinos were doing them last year, but I haven't spotted them yet this year. I'm sure Eurospar (Arrecife) do them - and MegaCentro (opposite the Deialdn at Playa Honda) certainly should. We'll be getting a new one soon - as last year's has just about died now.

Elle xx

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

LanzaroteIsland.com is not responsible for the content of the messages on this forum. Comments posted are owned by the person that posts them and we do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message. The messages express the views of the author of the message, not the views of LanzaroteIsland.com.

Lanzarote forum by Phorum