LanzaroteIsland.com The more complete leisure and tourism guide about lanzarote
Twitter Facebook YouTube rss feed

Home > Forum about Lanzarote

Forum about Lanzarote

Forums: Lanzarote | Miscellanea | Work | old forum

Register

Lanzarote Forum

Opinions, questions and advice about accommodation, tourism, leisure and anything you may need in Lanzarote. 
Western style park?
Posted by: Lady Sarah ()
Date: February 06, 2004 05:09PM

Whilst we were staying in Lanzarote in January, we found some details regardingan American/Wetern themed zoo/park where they had american animals etc. I think it was somewhere in the middle of the Island. It was geared towards children/families. Can anybody tell me what and where it is? Also- was it a good place to visit and was it worth the money? So many questions!.........
Lady Sarah

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Western style park?
Posted by: Jackie ()
Date: February 06, 2004 06:48PM

Sarah
The place is called Rancho Texas and it is an excellent place to visit.Lots to do during the day,and bbq,line dancing etc in the evening.If you look on www.Lanzarote.com you will find some info on it.

Date: February 07, 2004 05:40PM

Thanks for letting me know- I knew I had seen something about it, but nothing came out of any searches. Glad to know you had a good time too.

Posted by: Kate ()
Date: February 15, 2004 02:29PM

We have just returned from Costa Teguise and took the children to Ranch Texas, it was perfect, Parrot shows, eagle and birds of prey and a crocodile show, along side a mini farm , american animals and an indian village. We hired a car and it took about 20 mins from costa teguise, head out towards PDC and you can't miss it.

A fantastic day out, look out for one of the cockatoos he steals chips!!!

Posted by: Kazzzy ()
Date: February 17, 2004 01:02PM

I think I am correct in saying that there are details of this park on Lanzarote.com another website dedicated to Lanza. I think it gives prices etc.

Not been there but we hope to go when we are over in June so it would be good to know what you think of it.

Hope this helps.

Date: March 07, 2004 10:50AM

Hi Kate- sorry for the length of time ot get back to you- thanks for the information, have only just read it, I'm sure we will take a lok now- people have been very positive. Thanks once again
Sarah

Date: March 07, 2004 10:51AM

Thanks Kazzy- will look at the website. Sorry for not getting back to you sooner- haven't looked at this site for a while!
Sarah

Date: March 07, 2004 03:06PM

Hi Sarah or should I call you LADY SARAH

If you do visit don't forget to post what you think of it as I would like to know before I go in June.

Thanks Kaz

Posted by: Ann Leneghan ()
Date: March 08, 2004 03:11PM

Hi y'all

Rancho Texas Park has a link on www.discoverlanzarote.com - under Theme Parks on What to do Section. Good pics and info here. It's well worth a visit when you get here, lots to see and do. Great to the Kids and the Adults.

Date: March 08, 2004 04:55PM

Hi Ann - I must say I am very impressed as to how often you take the time to answer queries on this site, considering you must be a very busy lady with your restaurant.

We certainly hope to visit the Western style park. In your experience can you tell me if it is lots cheaper to do the trip yourself rather than with a tour company as we usually hire a car for a few days and this is one of the places we hoped to visit along with Timanfya. We are due to stay in Playa Blanca in June - do you know of any reputable hire car companies there as with a young child I would like to know I am travelling in a safe and reliable vehicle.

Sorry to be a pain but a few more questions Anne. With a 4 (nearly 5 year old) which Volcano trip do you think is the best? Also what temperatures can I expect in June in the days and evenings?

All advice welcome.

Kaz

ps Is your restaurant easy to find?

Date: March 09, 2004 11:41PM

Hi Kazzy

I love logging on to the forum when I'm finished work in the evenings. It helps me to relax and unwind but is also very informative and useful for my business. The restaurant is based in Playa Los Pocillos in the Commercial Centre of Los Pocillos and is near the Jameos Playa Hotel in Puerto del Carmen. About 5 mins drive from Rancho Texas Park on the Beach road, heading towards the Airport. If you do get a chance to stop by do let us know who you are.

Yes its always cheaper to make your own way there as you don't end up paying the extra handling charge that the tour company would add on.

Do you want to hire in Playa Blanca or have a car meet you at the airport?
Let me know and I'll then give you some recommendations.

As you will hire a car you can make your own way to Timanfaya National Park. As it's a National Park the trip around the Volcanoes is by Coach only from outside the Restaurant (Volcano Grill). You are not allowed access beyond this point, only on guided tours (which last about half hour and are extremely informative and in all languages - it is normal to tip the driver on these trips) and the tour is included in your entry fee at the entrance to the park. So unfortunately you don't have a choice of trips.

The weather is quite changeable of late(g lobal warming I suppose) so the temps I will give you are what we would expect around that time of year, usually 80's in the day but with a very refreshing breeze. Evenings can be chilly. It's always adviseable to bring a light sweater just in case.

Chat to you soon

Date: March 10, 2004 04:28PM

Hi Anne - a font of knowledge as always.

We have the transfer included in the cost of our holiday so we will probably hire a car for 2-3 days from a firm in Playa Blanca so any recommendations you may have would be appreciated.

Its good to know about the weather in the evening as I probably would not have brought a sweater with me - we were in Costa de Almeria last year in June and it was sweltering all day and all evening. The weather there was certainly a great deal hotter than the brochures had indicated in the mid 90's most days. Very nice but the mosquitos were rampant they were everywhere you never felt you could sit outsite in the evening and relax - some people were quite literally bitten from head to foot. Luckily I had done my research (it always pays) and we came prepared I wore Eau de Mosiguard for 2 weeks its that new fragrance from Estee Kill The Bugs!!! (ha ha).

If we get to the Western Park we will try to pop by your restaurant as it is nearby - is the Western Park a whole day thing?

Sorry for all the questions.

Bye for now and don't work too hard

Kaz

ps Any bars or restaurants you would recommend in Playa Blanca - we are staying at the Papagayo but I know we will visit some of the local places as well.

Posted by: Larry Ward ()
Date: March 10, 2004 07:22PM

Kaz

Try El Pato ... reception will be able to give you directions.

Very good restaurant, aimed at adult market, but happy to make allowances for my fickle 10 year old.

Lovely place to spend the evening, very airy, lovely atmosphere .. can tend to be pricier than Playa Blanca seafront.

We'll be back this summer!

Larry

Date: March 11, 2004 11:56PM

Hi Kaz

No probs. You will be surprised how time will fly at Rancho Texas, there is lots to see and you will spend a couple of hours no problem.

In Playa Blanca try also El Varadero Restaurant facing the sea, situated at the main roundabout as you enter Playa Blanca proper. Ask for Maria, tell her I sent you. He restaurant has a very good menu and caters very well for families. Then try The Irish Anvil in Punto Limones, near where the ferryboat to Fuerteventura leaves. A great bar, live music, great craic and children welcome.

For car hire, I'm stumped on this one. For PDC no problem but don't know them in Playa Blanca very well. Normally there is always a Car Hire company desk in the Hotel Reception. Or failing that the Reception will always recommend the best

Love the "Eau de Mosiguard". We women always know the best "perfumes" on the market!!

Date: March 14, 2004 01:27PM

Hi Ann
Thanks for the info on the Ranch link- I'm afraid I don't tap into the forum as much as I should, It's been interesting reading with Kazzy! We have two young children and are coming out to Playa Blanca 14 July. My husband and I stayed at the Natura Gradens in January and loved the place so much we decided to come back with the family. We will certainly look out for your bar!
We have been trying to plan where to go for a couple of excursions- it works out a lot cheaper if you do it yourself. Kazzy- there are loads of car hire places on the raod which runs parallel with the ferry terminal. There is also a wonderful perfume shop which sells all known breands at a fraction of the cost. I bought my perfume which usually retails at £58 and got it for £33, fantastic!!
Where are you staying Kazzy?

Date: March 15, 2004 05:33PM

Hi Sarah

I am staying at the Papagayo Arena in Playa Blanca as you know we are going in June.

Thanks for the info on the Perfume shop maybe they can sell Ann some of my favourite fragrance 'Eau de Mosiguard' as she liked the sound of it so much and it really does get you noticed(only joking Ann)!! Seriously though thanks for the tip on the shop - did you stay in Playa Blanca before Sarah?

Did you use any of the hire car firms as I am sure you are the same I just want to make sure that they are a reputable firm and the car is safe (think I have watched too many of these Holiday Watchdog progammes where they show all the dodgy hire car companies) - you just never know so any recommendations would be appreciated.

Did you go over on the ferry to Fuerteventura on the ferry? Was it worth the money.

Thanks to Ann and Larry for the restaurant tips I know we will try a few out even though we are All Inclusive (something I have never done before).

Kaz

ps Whats the weather there like at the moment Ann?

Date: March 15, 2004 11:39PM

Hi Kaz and Sarah etc etc.

Have to have some "Mosiguard". Can't be outdone you know!!.

Weather at the moment is breezy but very sunny and warm. Great sun bathing, walking weather. Chilly in the evenings, but this is normal after high daily temperatures.

On the car hire - whichever company you use the only thing you should double check are the tyres. It has been known, not often, but in busy periods when there is little turn around, that tyres have been hired out with less thread than is allowed. Most of the larger car hire companies use only new cars, at most 2 years old and they would have their own garage and mechanic.

Anyway keep writing.
Ann

Posted by: Carol ()
Date: March 17, 2004 10:42PM

Lady Sarah

I have noticed you on this forum quite a lot and would value your opinion
although it may be too late

I have booked for El Trebol in Cost Teq and was wondering after reading bad rewiews whether to rebook for Playa Blanca - Paradise Island but upon looking today I think the Holiday is Fully booked or has gone up a bit
Any info appreciated

Thanks Carol

Posted by: Linda ()
Date: March 22, 2004 03:10PM

Hi

We went to Rancho Texas last year, didn't know it existed until our neighbours in the next apartment told us about it. We got a taxi from PDC - it only cost about 5 euros (if I remember rightly). It was great!! We really enjoyed it and it made a change from the beach and shops.... The flying displays are good (remember to not stand up) the vultures sweep right over your head - you have been warned!! There are canoes for the children and adults (the waters not deep). Parrot show etc, Had a photo taken with a parrot on my shoulder and one laying on his back in my arms like a baby!! We plan to go back this year for the evening show, it sounded really good but didn't have much time or money left to go last year.

Well worth a trip out whether you've got children or not. As with everything else it is much cheaper to go yourself rather than with a tour.

Linda

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

LanzaroteIsland.com is not responsible for the content of the messages on this forum. Comments posted are owned by the person that posts them and we do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message. The messages express the views of the author of the message, not the views of LanzaroteIsland.com.

Lanzarote forum by Phorum