LanzaroteIsland.com The more complete leisure and tourism guide about lanzarote
Twitter Facebook YouTube rss feed

Home > Forum about Lanzarote

Forum about Lanzarote

Forums: Lanzarote | Miscellanea | Work | old forum

Register

Lanzarote Forum

Opinions, questions and advice about accommodation, tourism, leisure and anything you may need in Lanzarote. 
Hoping to move to Costa Teguise.. any tips
Posted by: Rallyandy ()
Date: July 11, 2008 09:48PM

hi all ... new to this forum ... im hoping to move to ct in the future as we have friends who own Bar Bastian in Playa Bastian .... whats good and whats not... jobs, accomodation etc... just qualified again as an electrician. your views will be helpful ........... cheers andy.....

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hoping to move to Costa Teguise.. any tips
Posted by: Will2 ()
Date: July 14, 2008 10:17AM

Learn spanish, learn spanish and learn spanish!

If you master those 3 tips before you get there you've a better than evens chance of sticking it.

Posted by: Elle1971 ()
Date: July 14, 2008 05:02PM

Will's right Andy. Definitely learn the lingo. It will certainly help you when you need to buy supplies, and for day to day living here.

Do save up as much money as you can, to tide you over until you are established. Decide whether you are going to work for someone else, or go it alone. Accomodation won't be a problem, there's plenty about. Is it just you? Or a full family?

The very best of luck with your move! We did it almost 2 years ago, and have not regretted it for a moment.

Elle xx

Posted by: trev1865 ()
Date: July 15, 2008 02:21PM

as lanza is full of ex pats and brit tourists, learning the lingo is not near the top of a must do list.i know people who have lived here for years without ever learning spanish.its still a good idea though,but i would resign yourself to the fact that getting a job is very hard,and bar/kitchen work is the easiest way to actually land employment.

Posted by: Will2 ()
Date: July 15, 2008 03:10PM

Trev - dare I add to your post and say that bar kitchen work is the easiest way to land employment if you don't speak the language? Think that would be fair.

Posted by: Elle1971 ()
Date: July 19, 2008 01:51PM

Yes Trev... many don't learn the language... but their choices are more limited than those who do. It's also respectful. We're still learning, but are treated very differently when we make to effort to communicate in the laguage of the country we've moved to.

You're dead right - finding a job is difficult - and even bar and kitchen work can be seasonal.

Sorry Andy - we're not trying to put you off. far from it... but do be prepared for some hard slog. It can be harder here to make a living than back in the UK - but if you stick at it, the rewards are there.

Elle xx

Posted by: sirharry ()
Date: July 20, 2008 12:02PM

I have a place in Playa Bastian....trust me great you are moving out, but no jobs going in this part of town, wioth people being laid off everyday. As for Bar Bastian I have been going to that bar since 84, they are not doing great business and I would be surprised if they make the end of the year.

By all means come and live, but if you want work, you are probably better heading down to Playa Blanca.

Trust me bars closing down in CT every week.

Harry

Posted by: Rallyandy ()
Date: July 21, 2008 12:04PM

Thanks for all these words of advice... firstly to Elle its me and my partner and some of our kids (sounds good doesn't it lol) ..... i have many skills ie computers, digital tv, mechanic, and electrician , which im hoping to use.. im used to hard graft so shouldn't be a problem
just about to start to learn spanish (help !!!) the basics to start with lol.
dont know when we are coming... lots to start out still..

to Harry .... i gather there are lots of bars shutting, found that out in April when we visited. I know our friends arent that busy, but its the way of life for them not just the money (just as well !)... Playa Blanca definetly looks more viable for work purposes...
hopefully coming out in November to do some more research.....

thanks to everybody so far....

PS Harry say hello to Billy and Joe at Bar Bastian next time you are in from Andy and Laura

Posted by: trev1865 ()
Date: July 24, 2008 01:28PM

just to add you will have much more chance of finding work in pdc than anywhere else.

Posted by: sirharry ()
Date: August 01, 2008 08:02PM

what a surprise...not

Bar Bastian is up for sale.

Harry

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

LanzaroteIsland.com is not responsible for the content of the messages on this forum. Comments posted are owned by the person that posts them and we do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message. The messages express the views of the author of the message, not the views of LanzaroteIsland.com.

Lanzarote forum by Phorum