Forum about Lanzarote

Forums: Lanzarote | Miscellanea | Work | old forum

Register

Lanzarote Forum

Places to see
Posted by: jonpum3 ()
Date: August 14, 2008 03:32PM

Hi everyone,
I'm due to visit Lanzarote in September (my first visit ever!).
We're staying at the Lanzasur Club in Playa Blanca.
Can anyone recommend some nice places for us to visit on the island and a decent place to rent a car for a few days?
Also, has anyone experience of the Lanzasur Club?
Gracia, Hasta Luego
Jon

Re: Places to see
Posted by: pearlpoppy ()
Date: August 20, 2008 12:37PM

Hi

Cesar Manrique's house and the cactus garden are well worth a visit. Also, the Sunday market in Teguise (not Costa Teguise), but get there early, say nineish, before the hordes arrive! We stock up on lovely Lanzarote spices and herbs there, but there is a lot of tat as well! Oh, don't park at the first place you see available, you'll walk miles to get to the market otherwise! Teguise is also nice to visit on other days, when it is much more tranquil, and there are many lovely bars and eateries to visit. It has what is claimed to be the oldest house on Lanzarote, where you can have coffee and cake, or a meal, in a lovely courtyard. La Era in Yaiza is a wonderful restaurant to visit - if they've finished refurbishing it. Doesn't look anything from the outside, but again lovely inside, with very tasty Lanzarote food. Talking of eating, Aromas in Playa Blanca was great when we went there, and people on other forums sing it's praises.
Have a lovely holiday, I'm sure you'll fall in love with the island, as we have.

Date: August 22, 2008 01:04PM

Celtygirl Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> La Era -sadly still seems to be shut - but totally
> fab if open. Also visit Famara beach - cannot be
> surpassed anywhere
>
> C
> x

Ah, what a shame about La Era. Where's Famara beach?

Posted by: Elle1971 ()
Date: August 22, 2008 06:54PM

Famara beach is not far from Teguise. We go from Playa Blanca, drive up through la Geria, and turn left just before you reach Teguise village (not to be confused with Costa Teguise).

Lovely beach - very popular for surfboarding. Watch that riptide though!

Elle xx

Date: August 23, 2008 10:07AM

Elle1971 Wrote:
> Famara beach is not far from Teguise. We go from
> Playa Blanca, drive up through la Geria, and turn
> left just before you reach Teguise village (not to
> be confused with Costa Teguise).
>
> Lovely beach - very popular for surfboarding.
> Watch that riptide though!
>
> Elle xx
>
> ***************************************
> "Take my advice, I don't use it anyway!"
>
> "Who nicked the cork off my lunch?!"
>
> My personal blog site -

Many thanks Elle

Sounds as if I'd be better off standing back in admiration of it!

Posted by: Elle1971 ()
Date: August 23, 2008 04:41PM

Ooh go on PearlPoppy... dip a toe in. It's worth it. I'd steer clear on really windy days, or you'll get sandbalsted like I did. But there's something about those waves that make you just want to jump in. It's really warm at the moment too.

The warning abut the tide is that you don't notice how it sweeps you sideways until you look back at where you've left your towel winking smiley

Enjoy it anyway hon!

Elle xx

Date: August 25, 2008 09:45AM

Elle1971 Wrote:

> The warning abut the tide is that you don't notice
> how it sweeps you sideways until you look back at
> where you've left your towel
>
> Enjoy it anyway hon!
>
> Elle xx
>
> ***************************************
> "Take my advice, I don't use it anyway!"

Ooh, been there, and what with being extremely shortsighted, end up dazedly tottering around the beach until I get found!
Won't be back to Lanzarote until next year in March/April, unfortunately, and that's if we can afford it. We're off to Menorca on 4th Sept for a week, paying less for the both of us than it usually costs for one of us to go to Lanza! We absolutely love Lanzarote, but what with increasing airfares, cost of living etc., it's making it pretty difficult to afford. Those blasted numbers didn't come up - again!

Posted by: jonpum3 ()
Date: August 26, 2008 10:29AM

Thanks everyone. I've certainly got an idea now. I've booked a car from autoressien at the airport for when we arrive. We should land at 9.05pm if the flight is on time, and the car hire place closes at 10pm. However, they said they'd stay open until we arrive. Unfortunately my tomtom doesn't have the canary islands coverage, so I'll have to resort back to good old fashioned maps.
When I've visited Gran Canaria and Tenerife, there's usually someone handing out free maps at the airport - I presume I'll probably get one at Lanza airport, or the car hire place. The road network looks easy enough on google earth.
Can't wait to get there at end of September for our 10 day holiday - I'm sure it will be great.

Posted by: Will2 ()
Date: August 27, 2008 10:06AM

Problem with sat nav is that you switch you brain off and forget your commensense.

Lanza has basically one road which delivers you from the airport to Playa Blanca!! Once you get used to the roundabouts and complete lack of traffic lights your fine.

Posted by: Will2 ()
Date: August 28, 2008 04:04PM

They change the road layout at the airport every 6 months it seems!

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

LanzaroteIsland.com is not responsible for the content of the messages on this forum. Comments posted are owned by the person that posts them and we do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message. The messages express the views of the author of the message, not the views of LanzaroteIsland.com.

Lanzarote forum by Phorum