LanzaroteIsland.com The more complete leisure and tourism guide about lanzarote
Twitter Facebook YouTube rss feed

Home > Forum about Lanzarote

Forum about Lanzarote

Forums: Lanzarote | Miscellanea | Work | old forum

Register

Lanzarote Forum

Opinions, questions and advice about accommodation, tourism, leisure and anything you may need in Lanzarote. 
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Cold Lanza!
Posted by: Ode ()
Date: April 20, 2004 02:59PM

Hi
I am back from my first Canary trip, a week in Lanza.
To my disappointment the WEATHER WAS CHILLY (as I was warned by someone here but I did not want to believe).

Every day everything: cloudy, windy, sunny & even rain.

The worst thing was that you were not able to plan your schedule, you never knew what's the weather or temperature after next 30 mins.

The temperature in the afternoon varied from 15 to 22 C !!!

I had only one pair of jeans and jeans jacket and fleece sleeve and needed to wear the same ones every evening, sometimes during the day too! Most of my summer clothes remained unused.

Only about 2% of the people on the beach went to the sea, it was far too cold. Also pools were cool. Did not want to think about having our breakfast or late evening drinks on your terrace... too cold!

The island was beautiful but prices were high and because of the weather I don't want to go back to Canary any more, that's for sure!

Br, Ode

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Cold Lanza!
Posted by: Nigel ()
Date: April 20, 2004 03:25PM

Prices high compared to where?
Are you talking about restaurants or shops?
Regarding the weather, I have noticed that over the past 10 years or so the weather is not as reliable as it used to be, especially in December/January.
Another couple of years like this and it may become a no, no, go area.

Posted by: fatstan ()
Date: April 20, 2004 07:05PM

oh no,,
we go in 9 days!!!!!!!
we are really looking forward to it,but i
hope the weather picks up a bit between now and next week

Date: April 20, 2004 08:55PM

Hi Ode,
Im sorry your first experience of Lanzarote was disappointing due to the weather, all i can say is you must have been VERY UNLUCKY!!!
We have travelled at various times of the year, and never had what you could call bad weather, we've had rain but not for long, my parents (lucky things did 6 WEEKS!!! )in FEB/MARCH and only got rain twice, (in fact they had to take cover in the shade a lot due to the sun being quite severe on several occasions!! I have not found Lanzarote expensive, but i suppose it depends where you go, we always enjoy the old town, and the food/service etc is second to none, the same would cost you an arm and a leg in Manchester etc, we found that the EURO ruined IBIZA, PORTUGAL ETC, due to sky high price increases, but i think that Lanzarote (although prices have increased!!) is one of the few places in Spain that is still very reasonable.
PLEASE !!!!! GIVE LANZAROTE ANOTHER GO, there are some fantastic places to visit and enjoy, and superb restaurants that only work out a bit more than a TAKE-AWAY in this country for fantastic food/service and experience.

Posted by: gixxer pat ()
Date: April 20, 2004 08:58PM

we all know about the climate change over the whole world so its not really suprising that lanzer should be left out,here in ireland it was 15
degrees this morning sunny and by lunch it was 9 degrees and chucking it down, and tomorrow its to be stormy and wet...,kn hell.!!!
we've been to lanzer 5 times,6 this year and have noticed if you go there before mid june it can be dodgy ,im sure its not the same every year though. anyway fatstan ,im sure youll be o.k.

Posted by: Kazzzy ()
Date: April 20, 2004 11:10PM

Poor you it sounds like the weather was awful. I do think the weather is going mad though as we were in Menorca in May 2 years ago and everyone told us the weather would be great - WRONG the first week it just rained and rained without a break day and night, so I understand you not wanting to go back to Lanza as although I found Menorca nice (our 2nd week) it has kinda put me off heading that way again.

We are going mid June to Lanza so will the weather be virtually guaranteed as I am getting worried now that I may experience another Menorca!! What do all you experienced Lanza travellers think my chances are of having really good weather?

Talking of good weather, in London on Friday it was really warm - people in Covent Garden were sitting in shorts and vest tops - unbelieveable as isn't it supposed to be APRIL SHOWERS - still very enjoyable, bring on that sunshine!

In closing here's to everyone having a lovely hot, rain free holiday.

Posted by: Kim ()
Date: April 21, 2004 03:09PM

In answer to Kazzzy...

We went in early June in 2002 and the weather was fantastic. Obviously that was 2 years ago but hopefully it will be pretty similar for you! We went in September last year and it was boiling then too.
I'm off to Lanza in 2 weeks so I'm praying for good weather myself! We're not stupid though and will take a few warmer items of clothing as I know it can get abit breezy at night.

Hope this helps anyway!

Date: April 21, 2004 05:36PM

Thanks Kim. Was it cold in the evening when you went in June and what sort of temperatures did you have during the day?

Have a wonderful holiday and I hope the sun shines for you.

Kaz

Posted by: Kim ()
Date: April 21, 2004 09:24PM

Hi Kaz

It was warm at night when we went in June. I remember one night we sat on our balcony eating chinese so it definitely wasn't cold or we wouldn't have been doing that.
We go out for dinner at around 7pm and I've been walking along the promenade (sad word but there's no other way to describe it!) in a black top and the sun is still beating down then. Please don't hold me to my word though as I don't want to get your hopes up!
I will post when I get back week commencing 16th May and let u know how our weather was!

Posted by: Josey ()
Date: April 22, 2004 11:12PM

We were there same time as you, and got burnt! Sure in the morning it was sometimes cloudy, on the cold side, but in the afternoon we were on the beach almost every day. Goto Papagayo beach, you will see naked people everywhere. You need to find a beach hidden from the wind!
You really need to rent a car to find the *nice* beaches. We got one for 85 euros for 5 days. Can't beat that price. BTW, gas is at 50 euro cents a liter.
Coming from Switzerland, we found it nice to be out of the snow and rain.
At night, we needed a light jacket, but you can't suntan at night...

Josey's husband...

Posted by: trevor smith ()
Date: April 23, 2004 01:27PM

got to agree with lance.
lived here since christmas and had 1 `cold´day.
climate much more reliable than spanish mainline and different league to menorca!

Date: April 23, 2004 08:34PM

Hi Josey and Kim and anyone else who is reading this.

Well I don't know about cold Lanza but its certainly warm England today - what a beautiful day. Anyway enough of this rabbling on, thanks to both of you for the weather news, I was getting worried I may have a repeat Menorca scenario but I am sure nothing can be that bad again.

Does the sun in Lanza usually get strong from mid day - as we were in Costa de Almeria last year and it was scorching from about 9.30 am onwards, unbelievable weather but we paid for in with the number of mossies around at night (didn't get bitten though as went armed with Mosiguard).

Look forward to your report when you get back Kim oh and by the way I would say promenade as well - what else could we call it as your right it does sound a bit sad but it gives the right picture.

Have a good weekend all.

Posted by: maggie ()
Date: April 23, 2004 09:05PM

IT CARN`T STILL BE COLD THERE, PLEASE TELL ME IT NOT? OFF VERY SOON AND MY BODY NEEDS THE HEAT THE SUN AND THE!!!!!!!!!!!

Date: April 24, 2004 11:25PM

we off on the 29th,,, any ideas on the weather situation???

still carnt be overcast surly??? hope not..

regards
glen(fatstan)

Date: April 25, 2004 06:23PM

nice one lance,cheers for that,,
the forcast is starting to look up also,but i tend not to want to take any notice of it.....i prefer to look at the webcam for an idea of the sky

Posted by: bren ()
Date: April 28, 2004 04:12PM

I came back from Lanza last Wednesday and it was rainy, grey skies and cold at least once a day!! But the sun did come out every day and it was HOT. We lapped up the sun when it did come out and got a fantastic tan, we just had to brave the cold wind. Some people came back still white! My tan was one of the best I have ever had due to the wind. It was cold at night, and I needed more jackets and jumpers. So we didn't sit out at a bar for a meal. After all it is not the Med and the sea is cold as it is the Atlantic (just think of Cornwall) it can be cold and windy there but it is the best tanning weather in England. You never sweat on the beach as the wind tricks you into thinking you aren't getting burnt but you are! I went to Menorca once beginninng of May and had cold weather. Years ago I went to Lanza in September and it was the hottest place I have ever been to, not one cloud all week. So go in August/Sept for guaranteed sun!

Posted by: lori ()
Date: April 28, 2004 05:08PM

i am off to lanza in november well the end of it, am i going to get a tan or will i bee a lil frozen snotter???????

Posted by: Chris Dodd ()
Date: April 30, 2004 02:08PM

The only thing I can comment on is that i was in Gran Canaria in June 2002(1st week in june) and the temp even touched 40 degree's celcius! Mid 30's for the rest of the week! So being close, I imagine Lanza is gonna be fine for when we go at end of june 2004! Temperature taken from the display at the beach at Peurto Rico( the one on a pillar that also shows the time!)

Posted by: Sarah30 ()
Date: May 02, 2004 10:00AM

HI

My mum and dad arrived back from Playa Blanca on Thursday just gone and there weather was fantastic.

It was cloudy until 9.30/10am on a morning then it has been red hot for the rest of the day until roughly 7pm.

Anyone who is going to Lanzo shortly - enjoy!!!!

Sarah

Posted by: Kaz F ()
Date: May 02, 2004 02:07PM

Thank you Sarah30 as we go this Thursday to Playa Blanca. We were worried about the weather but you have put my mind at rest, so thanks again!!!

Where did you Mum stay??

Karen

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

LanzaroteIsland.com is not responsible for the content of the messages on this forum. Comments posted are owned by the person that posts them and we do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message. The messages express the views of the author of the message, not the views of LanzaroteIsland.com.

Lanzarote forum by Phorum