LanzaroteIsland.com The more complete leisure and tourism guide about lanzarote
Twitter Facebook YouTube rss feed

Home > Forum about Lanzarote

Forum about Lanzarote

Forums: Lanzarote | Miscellanea | Work | old forum

Register

Lanzarote Forum

Opinions, questions and advice about accommodation, tourism, leisure and anything you may need in Lanzarote. 
Just back from Lanzarote
Posted by: Josey ()
Date: April 22, 2004 11:06AM

We had an amazing week in spite the not so nice weather.
We rented a car and drove around the island and visited almost everything there was to see. My favorite moments were when going to the local restaurants the food was delicious and the service was wonderful. We got invited a small drink (chupito) just about every time, we got to taste some of the local made rums or local drinks.
We drove to la Geria and visited a wonderful vine field with its own bodega and we purchased some amazing wine to bring home, we found that it rained mostly in the mornings then the afternoons were nice for the beach. We were told that the weather they had wasn’t normal so we weren’t lucky however we had a wonderful time thanks to the fact that we drove around. We visited the Timanfaya national park, which was impressive. There were many British and Chinese restaurants on the marine driveway however we really made an effort to go to local restaurants instead and it was worth it. One of our 7 day stay we took the ferry to Fuerteventura and it turned out to be our best beach day with lots of sun, sand and turquoise waters. We also went to the Papagayo beach on Lanzarote and it was beautiful, the water is clean everywhere, however because of the rain we had the water was a few degrees cooler than normal and to say the truth it was freezing cold, in spite of that we managed a nice tan and went in the water a few times as well. For some pics here you go [landreville.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Just back from Lanzarote
Posted by: Jonathan ()
Date: April 22, 2004 02:04PM

Josey

Did you happen to go to Playa Bastian?

Great Pictures

Date: April 22, 2004 02:10PM

no I cant say we did, but im sure its beautiful cuse we went around and we found all the beaches to be beautiful...

Posted by: fatstan ()
Date: April 22, 2004 02:20PM

fantastic pic josey,,we are off in 6 days,,carnt wait...

Date: April 22, 2004 02:34PM

See you there fatstan we are off on May 4. Lets hope for some sun.
Josey how did you find the prices for food eating out and at markets.

Date: April 22, 2004 02:55PM

Jonathan,

We found the prices to be reasonable considering that most everything is shipped there. All and all my husband and I spent 1000 euros in 7 days, we never cooked and we went around everyday. We did not go dancing because we were exhausted by the end of the day, We will go back and catch up on that... Now with that money we made some purchases like bikinis and a few things to bring back like some wine and rum. We went all out on the restaurant food and we even went carting.
I think it was not bad at all, there are numerous supermarkets, lots to choose from and shop around. One hint, don’t bargain with the locals its very insulting for them unless you plan on buying lots. I asked a local about the quality of the tourist they get (see there is two sides to the coin) and they told me that the European tourist is ok in general but they sometimes have the misconception that the Canaries are like Morocco and they really don’t like that.

Josey

Date: April 22, 2004 03:00PM

Thank you for the info Josey.

Posted by: Shirl ()
Date: April 22, 2004 04:29PM

Glad you enjoyed your holiday on Lanzarote, we are going to Costa Teguise at the end of September.
Please could you answer me a question - How much was the trip to Fuerteventura?
Many thanks

Date: April 22, 2004 04:38PM

Hi Shirl,

We went on the fast ferry, (there is a slower one, I suppose cheaper) and it cost us 74 euros both ways with the car. We were there in 20 minutes.
Now Please be careful how you drive in any of the islands, remember to keep your right lane. I was told when I was there that some brits lost their lives because they forgot to keep the right lane and got a head on collision not too long ago. Drive carefuly...

Josey

Posted by: Shirl ()
Date: April 22, 2004 05:33PM

Hi Josey

Really enjoyed seeing your photos. We would not be driving so I can presume the Ferry would be quite a bit cheaper. Probably go on one of the Tours arranged by the Reps.

Shirl

Date: April 22, 2004 05:41PM

Hi Shirl,

There are free buses to and from pdc and Arecife to Playa Blanca where the ferry is, and yes it is cheaper without the car.. Ask your rep for information, I found that our receptionists were very good at giving out information and they did not push the tours because they could see we wanted to do it on our own and that was nice.

Have lots of fun

Josey

Date: April 22, 2004 10:52PM

Hi Lazafan!

The hotel was very nice, I cannot say it was a 5 star hotel however it was clean and we were comfortable in it, even though we missed our bed immensely lol. No we did not try the Chinese food because we don’t like to eat other foods when we visit a place, we like to experience the trip to the fullest, so we have local food.
Yes we went to the old town; we had some good tapas there and an amazing fish. My husband and I really enjoyed the Golden Corner in Puerto del Carmen with Miss Piggy on the front door. The cocktails were amazing...

Have a great time, hope the weather will be better in June.

Josey

Posted by: Manc Jo ()
Date: April 23, 2004 10:25PM

Great pics Josey! Thanks for sharing them. We're off to Costa Teguise in 6 weeks (soooooo excited). Not been to Lanza before so I've been checking the weather every day - it doesn't seem too good at the moment but hopefully it will improve by the time we get there in early June.
I have been so encouraged by all the Lanzarote fans on this site (and others) I have been and booked for Summer 2005 this morning, even though I've not had this year's holiday yet!
Anyway - I'll be posting a link to my holiday photos when I get back in mid-June. Fingers crossed for good weather!

Date: April 23, 2004 11:02PM

Good luck Manc Jo!! I'm sure you will be ok, June is a good month for good weather I'm not worried... Just take care and have fun

Josey

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

LanzaroteIsland.com is not responsible for the content of the messages on this forum. Comments posted are owned by the person that posts them and we do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message. The messages express the views of the author of the message, not the views of LanzaroteIsland.com.

Lanzarote forum by Phorum