LanzaroteIsland.com The more complete leisure and tourism guide about lanzarote
Twitter Facebook YouTube rss feed

Home > Forum about Lanzarote

Forum about Lanzarote

Forums: Lanzarote | Miscellanea | Work | old forum

Register

Lanzarote Forum

Opinions, questions and advice about accommodation, tourism, leisure and anything you may need in Lanzarote. 
Current Page: 4 of 8
Re: Driving on the island..please read!!
Posted by: moles ()
Date: December 13, 2004 10:51PM

Noel's gone quiet, obviously busy this time of year

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: jayne1980 ()
Date: December 23, 2004 01:51AM

This has got to be the funniest thread I have ever read. Doesn't it really matter who was right and who was wrong? All Bill was trying to get across was to be careful when driving in Lanz as the UK driving laws may not apply. But I have got to agree that if i was going right at a roundabout(IN UK) I would not approach in left lane but then I also agree that the way people drive these days it's best to be safe than sorry and look before doing any kind of manoevre.
But thanx anyway Bill as now I will be extra careful when driving in Lanz.

Posted by: Devina ()
Date: January 01, 2005 10:51PM

just thought this thread deserved to go to the top again winking smiley

Posted by: Will ()
Date: April 26, 2005 04:41PM

Err was just checking for anything I should worry about when driving and erm not wanting to open old wounds....but this was a quality arguement!!!

Posted by: Ole ()
Date: April 26, 2005 06:18PM

A year or so ago in PDC I lost concentration and actually went LEFT at a roundabout and ended up going the wrong way down the road off the roundabout into on-coming traffic !!!
Fortunately all the other cars could see what was happening, and we all came to a standstill, whilst I tried to work out why all these other cars were going the wrong way !!!
When I worked it out, I then reversed back onto the roundabout only to continue going the wrong way around and had to eventually turn around with my pride somewhat in tatters.

I then drove back to my Apt at snails pace, parked the car, handed the keys to Mrs Ole and proceeded rather more quickly to the bar for a couple of pints of conptemplation.
I've driven on many previous occasions in Lanza never having made this misatke before, but it just goes to show that you should never become complacent.

Funnily enough it says in my UK highway code that I did nothing wrong !!!

OLE

Posted by: Sarah L ()
Date: April 26, 2005 11:08PM

Hate to add fuel to the fuego... but the rules for driving in the Uk actually require us all to drive on the left - even at roundabouts - and therefore we are permitted, in fact required, to enter a roundabout here in the left hand lane even when "turning right" (which of course, you are not, you are taking the usually thrid exit)

Therefore, the accident you had, even when reversed was conceivably your fault - you should always look to both sides. Lesson? use mirrors and look before assuming everyone else drives to your standards/rules. Even more so when you are not on your "home turf"

Posted by: Will ()
Date: November 07, 2005 03:49PM

Ahhh... for you newbies.

My favourite thread....

Posted by: pete ()
Date: November 07, 2005 04:01PM

The law of the land says [www.lanzaroteisland.com]
but don't know if anyone takes notice?

Posted by: dkthedj ()
Date: November 08, 2005 01:58AM

If anyone coming on holiday to Lanzarote from uk [or anywhere else for that matter] who has read this thread and does not quite understand what we are all talking, about I have a suggestion.Make your way to a place called Playa Honda. There is an interchange there with not 1 but 2 roundabouts.Get there about 13.00 hours[mon - fri] and pick either roundabout. Bring a stool,or deckchair,and picnic. Arrange yourself so that you have a good view of roundabout and prepare for the best laugh of your life.It is unbelievable.If you can film it for the brief duration of the lunchtime rush, 25 mins or so, you will have made your first comedy of errors. Try it and see.The one on the cash and carry side does tend to be a bit more hairaising.As has been stated so many time on this thread, when it comes to navigation of roundabouts they are totally cluless.

dk

Posted by: Will2 ()
Date: September 14, 2006 10:38AM

Seamermate,

This is why I love roundabouts!!!

Posted by: Elle1971 ()
Date: December 06, 2006 10:37PM

Just thought you guys could do with a giggle again!
To anyone who's new to this forum... grab a drink, and have a good read - you'll be glad you did!
Hugs, Elle xx

Date: December 07, 2006 10:00AM

Bit like UK Gold this one! Digging out old episodes of Blackadder etc!!

They ran the last episode of this life last night - recorded it so can't wait to watch it this evening. Not seen it since the first time 10 years ago.

Date: January 02, 2007 02:40PM

The Gazette have run an article on Roundabouts this month.
You can read it here: [www.gazettelive.com]

Posted by: KarenLeeds ()
Date: April 04, 2007 12:53PM

This has just given me a right giggle while I ate my Easter Egg for breakfast (not been shopping, no bread).

Seeing as I failed my driving test 4 times, I reserve the right to not comment on anyone else's driving skills when mine are obviously mediocre!

Date: August 09, 2007 05:04PM

This subject is now stretching its fingers far and wide!

Look what Alan tripped over today!

[www.perfume-bottles.cn]

Do a search on the page for Lanzarote!

Wahey!!!

For anyone who has not read this particular thread before... please give yourself some time to do so - it's legendary!

Elle xx

Date: August 09, 2007 05:40PM

Bugger - can't open the link - work filter reckons its games related!

What am I missing elle?

Date: August 09, 2007 06:52PM

It refers to driving and roundabouts in Canada and the US - then it mentions that it's happening all over - and there's a discussion going on in a Lanzarote Ex-Pats (?) Forum that's been lasting a couple of years.

We sniggered!

Elle xx

Date: August 10, 2007 10:42AM

Someone once said that roundabouts would never work in the states because it would have to involve drivers giving way and no way they gonna give way to someone else!!! All involves respect - the american respect that all gangsta types talk about rather than the traditional respect that needs to be earned etc....

Date: April 15, 2008 01:16PM

LOL CeltyGirl! Well done!

Date: April 15, 2008 01:47PM

To add mystery and more....

Do you think Simon H at the start is Simon....?!!!

Cue Dun Dun DER!!!! and mysterious drum roll...

Current Page: 4 of 8

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

LanzaroteIsland.com is not responsible for the content of the messages on this forum. Comments posted are owned by the person that posts them and we do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message. The messages express the views of the author of the message, not the views of LanzaroteIsland.com.

Lanzarote forum by Phorum