LanzaroteIsland.com The more complete leisure and tourism guide about lanzarote
Twitter Facebook YouTube rss feed

Home > Forum about Lanzarote

Forum about Lanzarote

Forums: Lanzarote | Miscellanea | Work | old forum

Register

Lanzarote Forum

Opinions, questions and advice about accommodation, tourism, leisure and anything you may need in Lanzarote. 
Current Page: 2 of 8
Re: Driving on the island..please read!!
Posted by: BillandPam ()
Date: November 29, 2004 08:29PM

Keith..are you Will in disguise?

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: November 29, 2004 08:30PM

Just checking winking smiley

Posted by: Moles ()
Date: November 29, 2004 08:47PM

this is great fun! personally I don't drive but I've been a passenger for 17 years (not non-stop obviously) and it strikes me that having 2 lanes on a roundabout in a country that uses one is really asking for trouble

Date: November 29, 2004 08:58PM

"If people intend dribing when abroad, they should first familiarise themselves with the laws, if not, it is illegal to drive without supervision, as it is in UK, hence L drivers until they know and understand the laws (and can control a car)."

"It is illegal" .....B*llocks. If it was the local plod would have had enough to charge me. They didn't. The only thing i needed was my UK Licence, Passport (purely as ID at Car Hire desk) & Insurance Document. No supervision etc....you are very much ill informed there my friend.

[driving.drive-alive.co.uk]

[www.andalucia.com]

[www.iwantapropertyinspain.uk.com]

Also....."If you have a driving licence from any other EU country, it is automatically valid in Spain. All other countries (including the USA), can drive for just 6 months in one calendar year but must then obtain a Spanish licence."

Posted by: Keith ()
Date: November 29, 2004 09:09PM

Next time you rent a car, check the small print, terms and conditions, etc.
The local "Plod" probably could have, but their enjoyment was fulfilled by you mis manouvering on a roundabout (according to Spanish law).

Date: November 29, 2004 09:17PM

"Probably could have"..... but didn't for the reasons outlined above. Namely, that it WASN'T illegal. grinning smiley

Date: November 30, 2004 08:53PM

That's the intention, Alex...and you're more than welcome.

Posted by: Mags ()
Date: December 01, 2004 02:50AM

I have to agree with Lance.....

To exit a roundabout from the left hand lane you have to cut across the right hand lane. A roundabout is not a continuation of the road.... there are dotted lines to indicate that you have to give way to traffic coming from the left. Once on the roundabout, if you wish to exit it, you must move over to the right hand lane to be in the correct position to exit or you would have to cross in front of someone who was going round the roundabout in that lane. That's the way I see it anyway!

Mind you, it's also true that the Canarians haven't quite got the hang of roundabouts yet in general. I've lived in Tenerife for 21 years (and will be moving to Lanzarote later on this month) and once someone invented the roundabout here, there was not stopping them. We have roundabouts popping up everywhere now.... usually where there are no adequate slip roads and we now get miles of tailbacks on the actual motorways (I use that word very loosely as everyone knows that they're not proper motorways - just dual carriageways - but they like to think that they're up to date with the rest of Europe;-) ) I wouldn't say that they drive down the middle of the lanes just hoping for the best but they don't understand much about 'getting into lane' before they just turn off wherever they want to.

It's funny how here in Tenerife (I don't know if they do this on the other islands too) they often don't indicate when they are going to change lane or turn left or right but put them in a queue of traffic and they all put their left indicators on to show you that they're staying in front of you!

Strange thing that......

Date: December 01, 2004 08:41AM

They use the left indicator when in front of you, to warn you not to overtake, sometimes, as there is a hazard in front which they can see could cause you a problem if you overtook. An example of this is at pedestrian crossings, when taxi approach, if there is someone on the crossing, they will indicate left to warn not to overtake.
Not so strange, but clever?

Date: December 01, 2004 01:07PM

So if you think they are turning left, it still stops you trying to overtake, so it works.
The 2 second rule, well, it may be taught in UK, but it certainly is not adhered to, as is not the speed limit, amber gamblers, illegal parking, litter out of car windows, driving whilst on phone.
I agree with Will, Brits seem to think that Brits are best, Brits are right, Brits know the law and as for other nations, they are all wrong.
They drive too close, wait for the next motorway pile up in UK.

Posted by: Will ()
Date: December 01, 2004 01:30PM

Hmmmm

Indicator use is one of my pet hates in the UK. Seems no-one uses them anymore - especially not on roundabouts.

From driving in Lanzarote cars may as well not have them - only time they seem to be used is when overtaking - certainly not for indicating changes in direction!

I have never seen anyone indicating at a pedestrian crossing - this is one area I feel strongly about - in UK more and more people don't stop at zebra crossings yet it is enshrined in the highway code that you have to. I know you don't have to stop in Spain - but the case of the little girl killed whilst on holiday in Playa Blanca might jog memories for residents. She was stepping out on the crossing just beyond the unfinished bus station, the near side car stopped but the car on the other lane hit her.

Don't see the point of crossings if they are not properly lit and enforced.

Basically just be extra careful and look over your shoulders and blind spot even more than you would at home - still don't think you were looking properly Bill!!!!

Date: December 01, 2004 05:08PM

I appologise, as I thought that you were not allowed to overtake on any side where there is a pedestrian crossing.

The indicator used at pedestrian crossings is widely used by Taxi drivers.
Give them some credit, it does not mean that they pull over into the lft hand side of the lane, and even if they dis, there are not many roads in Lanzarote (where ther are pedestrian crossings) that are wide enough for passing on the right hand side.
Is it legal to pass on the inside when there is a pedestrian crossing?

You can see from a distance where the pedestrian crossings are, but ofte, not the pedestrian if your vision is obscured ny the car in front.
Hence, the indicator is used to warn that there is someone (as the sensible driver in front believes that no driver would try and pass inside and up on the footpath).

Date: December 01, 2004 06:29PM

As Bill's wife and witness to the whole inncident on the roundabout... i can say that Bill WAS looking and a VERY experienced driver .... and i'm sick to death of this whole thread. Pam.

Date: December 01, 2004 06:35PM

We too. But if an error is made, one has to hold their hand up.
Goodbye

Posted by: Martin ()
Date: December 01, 2004 08:59PM

Hi,

Amusing discussion! I lived in Lanzarote for 19yrs, 6 of those driving. The basic rules are, in fact the same as in the UK. However many locals haven't quite grasped that yet! In any case any vehicle crossing the outside lane (which is what you were doing) must give way to vehicles in that lane, even if those vehicles are really in the wrong lane to carry on. This law exists to prevent accidents like yours, and is in force in most countries in europe smiling smiley

Date: December 01, 2004 10:27PM

More b*llocks. I reckon you & Will are purely at the wind-up now.

Posted by: Devina ()
Date: December 02, 2004 01:24AM

oh my!!!! i found this forum by acident.. just booked my (6th ish..?) holiday to Lanzarote for April next year and thought i'd take a peek at this forum. You are a feisty bunch aren't you! lol well thanks for the info on the roundabouts... never had trouble in the past but it's nice to be made aware of something that may happen.
Now i think you should all shake hands and make up now winking smiley

Date: December 02, 2004 08:49AM

I now understand why there was a mishap on the roundabout.
I am alway right, and others opinions do not matter, this is what I do in Brit, so this is what I do wherever I am.
Regarding the term used "b*llocks" used to respond to others comments, I assume this reflects the standard of hand signals used when driving.

Date: December 02, 2004 10:04AM

LOL this is nothing to do with the driving now .... it all about getting the last word in now ... (SIGH!)... that's ok we'll just keep posting too ! all we were doing was highlighting to warn others what can happen out there.... no need to take it personally! Pam

Post Edited (12-02-04 10:42)

Posted by: Will ()
Date: December 02, 2004 02:22PM

Pam - I thought all you were doing was highlighting your husband was a terrible driver who doesn't look over his right shoulder when pulling off roundabouts!!!

Can you just let us know what car he drives at home so we can all give him a wide berth!! Especially on roundabouts!!

Cheers

Will

Current Page: 2 of 8

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

LanzaroteIsland.com is not responsible for the content of the messages on this forum. Comments posted are owned by the person that posts them and we do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message. The messages express the views of the author of the message, not the views of LanzaroteIsland.com.

Lanzarote forum by Phorum