Forum about Lanzarote

Forums: Lanzarote | Miscellanea | Work | old forum

Register

Lanzarote Forum

Driving on the island..please read!!
Posted by: BillandPam ()
Date: July 04, 2004 07:49PM

PLEASE READ!>>

I hired a car last month in Lanzarote and came a cropper at a roundabout in Arrecife...had to involve the local plod etc...here's what happened>>>>

I approached a roundabout on a dual carriage way and wanted to go STRAIGHT through it. I apporached in the left hand lane (nearest the central reserve) and intended to come out the other side in the same lane.(like going from 6 o'clock to 12 o'clock) The car to my right (nearest the pavement...a local guy) was turning LEFT!, (9 O'Clock) and came straight across me, causing minor damage to my offside headlight, and scraping his nearside rear wing. I went with the guy to my hotel reception and then the plod in Arrecife who both told me the same thing....."The driver on the OUTSIDE has priority on the roundabout...to go straight, you must STOP on the roundabout for traffic from your right, wishing to turn left"

I thought they were having a bloody laugh! Needless to say, i wanted to verify this with the hire car company which i did,(in their office, explained with pen & paper etc) who told me that the above was true....so please be very aware of that!!

The moral is....stay in the right hand lane on your roundabout at all times no matter what exit you take!.....Ask your hire company or any English speaking local when you get there.....don't get caught out like i did.

Re: Driving on the island..please read!!
Date: November 23, 2004 10:36PM

Tell as many as possible , Alex....no problems at all. The more people know the better.

Cheers,

BillandPam

Posted by: Will ()
Date: November 24, 2004 11:33AM

Being harsh I'd say that you have to be even more aware than at home - dare I say you weren't looking??

I nearly had a horrific prang near the papagayo last year - I was checking out of the new marina and returning up to the main "road" I was coming onto the roundabout to turn left to Playa Blanca. When on the roundabout I looked right to see a local flying towards the roundabout to go straight across it - blimey I thought he's going to have to brake hard...... no he isn't.....fortunately I pulled into the central reservation, he ended in the ditch and we spent 30 seconds exchanging international hand signals before pulling off with dented pride but not cars!! If I handed of looked I dread to think what may have happened.

Moral - we may think our driving is better but like your instructor many moons ago told you look before you manoeuvre. Sorry to sound like a teacher!!

Posted by: Nicola, Lanza Resident ()
Date: November 24, 2004 06:43PM

Just wanted to say that I've been living in the Canary Islands for 10 years. When I came to the islands in the beginning there weren't very many roundabouts about!!! Basically, the Canarians have never been taught how to use roundabouts and I am afraid that its the same on all the islands - Tenerife is worse, everyone drives in the middle of all the lanes and hopes for the best. I have had strange looks from Guardia Civil officers when I have tried to use the roundabouts "correctly" and have been cut up a few times but to be honest, I still use them the way they are meant to be used and at the end of the day, all you need to watch out for is your two front wings, anything else is someone elses fault. Keep using them the right way everyone, maybe then it will rub off!

Date: November 24, 2004 08:20PM

I was paying full attention Will...was concentrating on going straight through the roundabout...it wasn't a question of attention. It was unexpected that some-one was going to go round the roundabout in the right hand lane to turn LEFT- when there's a perfectly good inside lane to turn left in (like us sensible folks do). One of the chaps that runs the Scotch & Wry told me it was a common occurence for tourists.

My quick reactions upon immediate contact with the "rogue" vehicle probably prevented worse damge. Bear in mind the speed at which this happened was approx. 15mph....from a standing start at lights. Very minor damage, but great care should be taken at roundabouts when you're there. The local plod will put you right if you have any doubts on the subject, as they did with me.

Date: November 26, 2004 08:16AM

Wasn't changing lanes. The other guy was cutting across mine, ffs.

Post Edited (11-26-04 08:17)

Posted by: deano ()
Date: November 26, 2004 02:48PM

they dont belive in indicators full stop be aware all times

Date: November 26, 2004 03:22PM

Indicators?

YOu've obviously not driven in London much recently!! THey are purely optional here too!

Date: November 26, 2004 09:57PM

If you weren't changing lanes then you'd still be on that roundabout!!

I assume that you went 3/4 way round the roundabout in inside and as you moved off the roundabout the local on the outside lane who was going all the way round had a bit of a shock when you hit his left hand side?

Date: November 26, 2004 10:02PM

Lance...think about it....it's a dual carriageway....TWO lanes...one inside lane (left) , one OUTSIDE lane (right) i was going straight through.....in the left hand lane to the other side which was STILL a dual carriageway!...The other guy came straight across the front of my car from the RIGHT hand lane and cut straight across the front of me..think about it....i was going 6 o'clock to 12 o'clock....the Spaniard who bumped into me was going from 6 o'clock to 9 o'clock...in the OUTSIDE lane.

If that scenario was repeated in the UK, then i would have been free of blame/liability, the other guy would have been wrong and liable etc.

It doesn't matter which way you slice it and dice it...he cut infront of me causing the accident! Spanish road rules dictate that he had the right of way though (because, you can go ALL the way round a roundabout on the OUTSIDE there...gedditt?) Not so in the UK...hence the resultant accident.

Now do you see?

Date: November 26, 2004 10:51PM

* 2 lanes going from 6 to 12

* I do not need to leave my lane to go straight through the roundabout.

* I do NOT at any time cut into/drive into/veer into the right hand lane.

Posted by: Moles ()
Date: November 26, 2004 11:17PM

Can anyone tell me a way to walk in Lanzarote without going near a roundabout?

Date: November 26, 2004 11:28PM

Lance....if you can't get it from what i've typed you'll never get it.

*dual carriageway approach.

*dual carriageway (2 lanes on roaundabout)

* 2 lanes exit at 12 o'clock

Simple...we have a lane each from aproach, lane each through roundabout AND exit. Problem occurs when Spanish Joe decides to cut across my bows to go to 9 o'clock exit !

Bear in mind, Lance...Spanish roundabouts go anti clockwise.....now do you see?

Date: November 27, 2004 12:09AM

As iv'e said before, most of us in the UK would assume that i have taken a proper/acceptable course of action at the roundabout, leaving out Spain's way of thinking when it comes to roundabouts.

Both lanes (in the UK sense) would/could be used for going straight (6 o'clock to 12 o'clock) and we would never expect anyone in the outside lane to go all the way round a roundabout on the outside before exiting.

The Spanish way of thinking is that it's acceptable to use the outside lane to go ALL the way round the roundabout, which is what you are saying is where i have went wrong.

My argument is that that Spanish Joe had no right being in my lane because he should only have went STRAIGHT (or right) in the lane he was in as we would have if we applied UK road rules. You are saying that i was at fault because i never looked on the roundabout. From a Spanish point of view, i would have crossed lane "B"...from a UK point of view, lane "B" is for STRAIGHT or right ONLY. Therefore, as far as most UK drivers applying our roadsense would be aware, they would be assuming they were doing the correct thing. Therefore, lane "B" is valid in Spain only. Hence accident which occured. So that scrubs any notion that "I wasn't looking"..we dont expect folk to cut across our bows as described!!

The point i made on my ORIGINAL post was, that UK motorists should be aware that Spanish folks don't do roundabouts like us here as per our Highway Code (TRUE).

Date: November 27, 2004 01:30AM

I approached in the left hand lane because it said "Costa Teguise" straight through the roundabout (complete with arrows!!).

That'll be why i was in that lane....winking smiley

No matter the circumstances Lance, there's no accounting for people pulling in front of you WHEN YOU LEAST EXPECT IT for the reasons outlined laboriously above.

Post Edited (11-27-04 01:35)

Date: November 27, 2004 02:08AM

Yes Lance...that's what SPANISH rules say..

NOT what UK Driving laws, which most of us would apply over there.

Hence my original post.

ps..i didn't "pull" infront of anyone...i was going straight.

Post Edited (11-27-04 02:09)

Date: November 27, 2004 02:59AM

I'll let you draw your own conclusions from now on....i'm fed up trying to explain a relatively simple difference in procedures at roundabouts between UK & Spain...some of you have grasped it, some haven't.

Que Sera Sera

Date: November 29, 2004 10:56AM

What sticks out totally is this assumption that the Spanish are in the wrong!!

They are obeying their laws and it is our assumption YET again that we are British and that our laws are superior - despite the fact that is us (or you in this case Bill) that has had an accident in their country breaking their roads laws because you were ignorant to them. Ignorance of a law is no defence for breaking it! Our driving is supposedly better our food, banks, laws culture etc. yet we seem to want to leave our counrtry to visit theirs..... and then complain!!

And you are being a bit holier than thou about UK roundabouts!! I've seen many times people go all the way round roundabouts in outside lanes - if you belive you can drive straight accross UK roundabouts without looking then your RTA's can't be limited to Lanzarote alone!

Date: November 29, 2004 07:23PM

Don't know how many times i have to say this!

Will...you're typical of those with perfect 20/20 hindsight. I'll say it AGAIN. The point of my original post was to highlight a difference in the way that we & Spanish people do roundabouts. I appreciate that i was in the wrong as far as Spanish road laws go. I admitted full responsibility & liability at the time upon learning the local ways.

As for my attitude to roundabouts in this country, it is perfectly compliant with the Highway Code. I suggest you square that with what i posted above in approach & exit etc on roundabouts. If, you do indeed know/see people going all the way around roundabouts THEN exiting in THIS country in the outside lane, then it is them who are risking an accident /crash and are breaking rules of the road, not me. I refer you again in those instances to our Highway Code for rules concerning roundabouts. For the record, i've never had a road traffic accident/points on licence in UK.

If others choose to drive all the way around roundabouts in the outside lane in this country before exiting, then they will be at risk. You will find that it is perfectly acceptable to perform my manouvre outlined in THIS country. If you check that with the Highway Code, you will see what i mean. If you contest it further, i would assume that you are taking the P*ss.

Posted by: keith_cymru ()
Date: November 29, 2004 08:01PM

Don't think Will has to take the p**s, but I agree with him that we Brits think we are right, we have got it right and we know best.
The thread may have been started to highlight differences in entering/exiting roundabouts, but this is being a Nanny.
If people intend dribing when abroad, they should first familiarise themselves with the laws, if not, it is illegal to drive without supervision, as it is in UK, hence L drivers until they know and understand the laws (and can control a car).
You mention "My quick reactions upon immediate contact with the "rogue" vehicle probably prevented worse damge.", but you also now admit that under Spanish law, you were in the wrong.
The local driver possibly went to his local bar and reported the story of this fool Brit driver. He would be entitled to, it was you that was in the wrong, and should have familiarised yourself with basic driving laws, prior to taking the car on the road.
If your child was going to drive for the first time, without knowing the laws in UK, would you allow it?

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

LanzaroteIsland.com is not responsible for the content of the messages on this forum. Comments posted are owned by the person that posts them and we do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message. The messages express the views of the author of the message, not the views of LanzaroteIsland.com.

Lanzarote forum by Phorum