LanzaroteIsland.com The more complete leisure and tourism guide about lanzarote
Twitter Facebook YouTube rss feed

Home > Forum about Lanzarote

Forum about Lanzarote

Forums: Lanzarote | Miscellanea | Work | old forum

Register

Lanzarote Forum

Opinions, questions and advice about accommodation, tourism, leisure and anything you may need in Lanzarote. 
Anybody know how to go about living and working out there?
Posted by: Holly - Birmingham ()
Date: June 27, 2005 11:24PM

Hi All,

I'm really interested in going out next summer to live somewhere like lanzarote if not Lanzarote it's self. I did look into being a holiday rep but can't say its really for me. I wouldn't mind work in a bar, restaurant or hotel. Is it best to head out at the being of the summer season and just look around?

Help...

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Anybody know how to go about living and working out there?
Posted by: Will ()
Date: July 28, 2005 01:53PM

YOu need to be out there - especially if you are looking for unskilled labour. Bars and restaurants tho are struggling due to the amount of all inclusive hotels. Overall numbers are down slightly too.

Have a look at the lanzarote.com website forums - has a lot more on working out there.

Posted by: Pedro, I drive coach ()
Date: July 28, 2005 02:17PM

You get job at a pub or club, if you lady you can dance if like, bar work is best, easy and you meet alot of people, money not so good but enough for life in Lanzarote, you go clubbing after work, great, you see little of the day working stupid hours though, accomidation fairly cheap, if you have friend you pay your way easy peazy! i hope you enjoy Lanza life, you tourists english takingover our island is great!

Posted by: Cat ()
Date: July 29, 2005 12:26AM

Hi all, i dont think u should hav much trouble gettin work out there for the summer. there was loads of jobs goin wen i was there. Your best bet is to go out early. However i didn't find accomodation easily, and once i did a security deposit was required the agency was also charging €300 comission on top of that.I thought it was a bit steep especially as i had'nt much money.

Posted by: Will ()
Date: July 29, 2005 10:07AM

300E commission??!!! Jeez - I hope you didn't pay it? I don't know a huge amount about spanish renting laws but that can't be legal - certainly isn't in the UK. You should never pay a commission or "registration fee to an agent.

Posted by: Cat ()
Date: July 29, 2005 05:19PM

No i didn't pay it cos i thought it was a rip off.I was just wondering does anyone Kno if bars out there pay by the week or month.

Posted by: pete ()
Date: July 29, 2005 06:16PM

Regarding the commission to agents, it seems the norm in Lanzarote, for an agent to charge an introduction fee of one or two months rent. This may be as the landlord does not pay a fee, believing that why should he pay a fee to an agent, when he can let himself. The Agents introduction fee is much like the introduction fees paid to agents in the UK commercial property market, except that in UK, it is more.

Re: Hoping to move to Lanazrote aswell
Posted by: Donna ()
Date: February 16, 2006 10:55AM

Does anyone know the best month to get over there and amount of money needed to be comfortable??

Posted by: shane ()
Date: March 30, 2006 12:43PM

Hi my names Shane and as has already been said the best way to find work is to go to the bars and restaurants and ask. If you have charisma and are willing to work hard you will find some. The problem for people is accomadation. I live on the island and am well aware about agency fees it is common and the best way to take advantage is to use the agency to your benefit. For example do you think that when you book a holiday you dont pay a fee of course you do. Well you can book your long term accomadation in advance yes you pay a fee but you have accomadation ready for you' clean, picked up from airport, proper legal contracts. Alternative is arrive no accomadation,no work trudging the streets hoping to find accomadation to be met with if youve no work no accomadation. I know what I would rather do. By the way I may Have accomadation in PDC but will only take advance bookings.

Posted by: biffa ()
Date: June 23, 2006 12:09PM

Hi, firstly if you want to work in Lanzarote you will need to apply for a N.I.F number this is required by law to enable you to work. This can be done by applying at the local ayuntamiento (town hall) it can be a bit dawnting if you don't speak the lingo but there are people who can handle this for you for around 30euro's (i used a fella called guy buske tel 676455282) he is really clued up about paperwork so you can't go wrong with him.
As for fitting laminate flooring i don't think you'll make much money out here doing that, though if your a joiner you could do well in the playa blanca area as they are building on every piece of land available.
If your looking for long term rentals be prepared to have a substantial lump sum ready as nearly every let will require 1 months rent as a security deposit plus a months rent in advance and if you let from an agent 1 months rent is the norm as a finders fee. Take a look at www.grupoestupendo.com they spell it out for you as to the costs.
Hope this helps.

Date: June 24, 2006 04:26PM

HEY ALL!

maybe this site is of some use to you www.workinginthebalearics.com,

I like most of you guys am looking for work on one of the spanish islands(i'll do pretty much anything) although im only 17 in august, which is a bit of a
downfall, any help is VERY much appreciated.

GOOD LUCK AND THANKS TO YOU ALL!!!!!!!

Callam from england

Posted by: trev1865 ()
Date: June 25, 2006 12:49PM

cat, most bars pay weekly,though not all.
mick, a nif is a good idea but i know people who work without one.there are a couple of places in pdc that will accept long term lets with no deposit or fees.pet freindly might be a problem though.
you will have much more chance of work in a bar or restaurant than as a floorer.it wont just be a case of turning up first day and getting a job either.it can be hard and i have spent long periods out of work.

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

LanzaroteIsland.com is not responsible for the content of the messages on this forum. Comments posted are owned by the person that posts them and we do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message. The messages express the views of the author of the message, not the views of LanzaroteIsland.com.

Lanzarote forum by Phorum