LanzaroteIsland.com The more complete leisure and tourism guide about lanzarote
Twitter Facebook YouTube rss feed

Home > Forum about Lanzarote

Forum about Lanzarote

Forums: Lanzarote | Miscellanea | Work | old forum

Register

Lanzarote Forum

Opinions, questions and advice about accommodation, tourism, leisure and anything you may need in Lanzarote. 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Car Hire...Sorry!
Posted by: gary2312 ()
Date: May 09, 2006 04:09PM

Hello,

I'm coming to Lanzarote for the 4th time next month and have always hired my car with who I now think is www.doyouspain.com - the woman who works from the white box in the car park at the airport and you leave the keys in the boot at the end...I'm sure my face was a right picture the first time she told me to do that!

Anyway, I just used travelsupermarket to get a few other quotes as doyouspain quoted me £112 for a week for the cheapest car which I thought was a bit much. I got a quote for £70 from a company called simply car hire but can't find anything about them on the web.

So...does anyone have any experience with this company as I've always found the woman in the car park to be great and very hassle free but the £40 saving is very tempting unless someone can tell me why not to use them.

Thanks, and apologies for adding to the long line of car hire threads!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Car Hire...Sorry!
Posted by: Will ()
Date: May 09, 2006 04:27PM

Not heard of the company you have got a quote from - tho holidayautos.com won't be far off.

Most of the hire car firms use the white box in the car park!

In my experience Holidayautos are pretty much unbeatable for price in the long term - tho you may get a better deal if someone is doing an offer.

I've used auto Reisen last few times - generally has only cost a fiver/tenner more but they have an office in arrivals so one of you gets the luggage whilst other gets the car. Normally have keys b4 luggage comes off. Plus their cars are parked in the underground garage so no faffing about on the escalator thingie!

Anyway everyone has their favourites but on price alone holidayautos wins.

Date: May 09, 2006 04:44PM

Just had another quick peek and holidayautos are charging £98 so I'll prob stick with what I know and go for doyouspain as we're not arriving until 8pm so a quick turnaround will be good before shooting down to Playa Blanca.

I had a look at auto Reisen too, but I'm only 24 and their min age is 25 unfortunately which is a shame but nevermind. One to remember for next year though as a lot of ppl recommend them.

Anywho, thanks very much for the ridiculously quick reply!

P.S. I can still get baby food over there right?! Lol

Date: May 09, 2006 05:09PM

Where in PB do you stay? I love getting the evening flight - zooming out of the car park in anticipation, take wrong turn on round about, end up in airport carpark again, then finally escaping and zooming down to PB. Quick shower and dinner at Romantica for 10pm!

Date: May 09, 2006 05:26PM

We stay in Solanza if you know it? My girlfriends parents own one of them which is handy, in fact they're out there right now the jammy buggers!

Can't beat a bit of Romantica that's for sure, we also discovered Cervantes when we went in January which was good. Can you suggest anywhere else and tell me where they are as we've had enough of eating mostly rubbish along the front and are more than happy to pay a cpl more euros per dish for some decent grub.

Any of the ones in the harbour worth visiting? We've been to a cpl but can't remember their names but they were definitely an improvement from what I remember.

Date: May 09, 2006 05:31PM

I must admit I would prefer to be going earlier but we got lucky and only ended up paying £200 in total for our flights with BA so couldn't say no. They're double that now which makes it all that bit sweeter!

Date: May 09, 2006 05:35PM

That's what we thought, I have no doubt that my in-flight "meal" will taste a damn sight better than most others!!

Date: May 09, 2006 05:59PM

Hmm not sure about BA meals!!! You get some nameless over cooked stew....
On way back always make my own picnic - 1/2 bottle Vina Sol, Uga smoked salmon or serrano and manchego sandwiches!!!

Restaurants to try - Casa Pedro is great for lunch and people watching. Its on the front just in front of romantica. The owner is a rampant snob - has owned restaurant for 30 years. If you speak spanish try and order "off" the menu.

Aromas is new - but my grandparents recomeend it highly. Its a few roads up from Romantica near the Ferritaria at the top.

Nothing near the harbour - tho if you are feeling brave the fishermans cafe does good tapas and a beer!

If you want a change try Artista and the other side of the bay near the Church. Great sea views and nice bar - galleria del sol next door. Waiters are a bit over bearing but just trying to be friendly!

Get up to Femes - the place on the right hand side that is slightly set back with the nice garden is superb. But don't go too late as they often sell out and close early.

£100 a flight top deal. We got £170 for late June which was good too - look out for us in our Lanza Ironman T shirts!!

Date: May 09, 2006 05:19PM

Thanks very much, I shall endeavour to visit these. Is Casa Pedro the place with the piano in the sky as it were? If so then I missed out on it in Jan as I was suffering as a result of what I think was some dodgy mojo sauce consumed on the front!

I think I prob meant to say the marina at the other end rather than harbour but nevermind!

I can't wait to go now, although still got 5 weeks to wait...rubbish!!

Date: May 10, 2006 10:02AM

Nope - June = Boys tour!!! 3 of us for long weekend of golf, table tennis, beach boules and BBQ skills!!

Not sure about flying pianos! Its windows are painted a lighter shade of green to everyone elses!

Date: May 10, 2006 11:16AM

Polo shirts darling.

And no if you saw us chavs would be the last thing on your lips considering my brother usually arrives at the airport wearing a panama and I will be in my favourite Martin Bell jacket!!

Date: May 10, 2006 01:39PM

Is that at the airport?
For some reason the hire car girls or always up for a bit of flirting!!

As a general rule - if booking a budget car should cost no more than 10E a day if you book in advance via internet.

Celty - keep on boggling!! Spose an anti-chav reaction!! Like to give the little scrotes at the airport something to aspire to rather than their 25 stone football shirt wearing relatives......

Posted by: Lynne ()
Date: May 10, 2006 06:19PM

Social (security) Skills or compiling a thesis on future (un) employment opportunities

i.e. What to spend your benefits on when you're older

Date: May 15, 2006 10:19AM

Got a Simplycarhire update for you! I'd mentioned travelsupermarket to my girlfriends parents who've just got back and I've just found out they went for simply.

They rented a budget one and ended up with a Saxo with no power steering which can't have been much fun with all the roundabouts. Also you pay the price of the rental but then they charge you 40 euros for a tank of petrol on top of that which seems slightly expensive to me! I should imagine they charge you more for petrol if you have a bigger car too.

I guess if you're planning on using the entire tank then it's pretty good but they only really used the car to and from the airport so didn't use much petrol at all.

Think I'll be going with doyouspain this time and then give autoreisen a go when I'm 25.

Posted by: muzzisben ()
Date: May 16, 2006 03:03PM

try, anthon rent a car in PDC, they have a website, always very modern cars and very cheap, will take to airport or drop off at apartments for you

[www.anthon.com]

Date: May 22, 2006 03:08PM

Josie - never been to Romantica? Blimey - it is the longest standing restaurant in the town pretty much. THey used to have a seaview before the row in front was developed.

Not sure about the half empty bit - in the winter it is generally packed usually by retired expat brits. Good thing is that it is open till midnight most nights so if you have an evening flight not a prob to get in.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

LanzaroteIsland.com is not responsible for the content of the messages on this forum. Comments posted are owned by the person that posts them and we do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message. The messages express the views of the author of the message, not the views of LanzaroteIsland.com.

Lanzarote forum by Phorum