LanzaroteIsland.com The more complete leisure and tourism guide about lanzarote
Twitter Facebook YouTube rss feed

Home > Forum about Lanzarote

Forum about Lanzarote

Forums: Lanzarote | Miscellanea | Work | old forum

Register

Lanzarote Forum

Opinions, questions and advice about accommodation, tourism, leisure and anything you may need in Lanzarote. 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Restaurants
Posted by: Sheelah ()
Date: June 01, 2006 11:56AM

Hi
Has any one heard of either of the those restaurants
Quentins - supposed to be near Los Picalloes and the other is Kinsale in or near matagorda.
Any other recommendations for restaurants appreciated. places that offer good food and a nice athmosphere and good value. We visited montmarte and the polish irsh restaurant last time - both in old town and they were excellent.
Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Restaurants
Posted by: annmoo ()
Date: June 01, 2006 02:48PM

there's a restaurant in the old town that has a balcony dining area upstairs, lovely food and fab view. u get into it by going uopstairs at the back of it that you approach as you walk into the old town past a reatuarant called bodegas (i think). sorry i'm not much clearer on the directions but maybe someone knows were i'm talking about! actually in my times of goimg to lanzarote i've never had a bad meal!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/01/2006 02:50PM by annmoo.

Posted by: annmoo ()
Date: June 01, 2006 05:31PM

oh must try casa cabana, am going over in three weeks hurrah, were abouts is it? mind i am staying in playa blanca for the first time hence my thread 'playa blanca'

Posted by: Lynne ()
Date: June 02, 2006 11:50PM

Calle Teide, Old Town.

From the crossroads at the bottom of the two hills (at the taxi rank) carry on towards the harbour. Stay on the windy road until you see the Irish Harbour Bar in front of you.
Turn left (that is calle Teide). Go past the polish restaurant, past The four seasons, past the gym, continue another 100 metres or so and it is just after the Fishermans Inn but on the left hand side of the road.

Posted by: marco971 ()
Date: June 03, 2006 07:09PM

for sheelah, in old town PDC I recommend you to go in the restaurant that Annmoo and Sarasfw told before me. That restaurant is "CANGREJO ROJO", coming from Biosfera comm. center, downhill to the harbour (varadero area), finally you'll arrive on a small square (before the street turns right), with the chemist-store on the corner, on the left. You'll have the restaurant on the left, you must go upstairs. Wonderful, panoramic terrace on fuerteventura and los lobos. good service,great food!Specialized on seafood, but excellent grilled meat too (one month ago I had a wonderful steak with chateubriand sauce).Good prices too.My favorite in PDC! Go there, you'll thank me...
can I recommend you other two places? take the car, the first is in Femes, it's Casa Emiliano (excellent traditional local foods, if you like rabbit meat, u must go there...). The other one it's El Charcon, in Arrieta on the dock, close to the sea. Excellent seafood!

Date: June 06, 2006 10:30AM

thanks everyone for the various suggestions and also the directions. Will certainly try the cangrejo rojo - is it good value for money?
Nobody seems to have heard of Quentins or Kinsale restaurants - will have a look when I am there next week.
Again thanks everyone. Sheelah

Posted by: Will ()
Date: June 06, 2006 10:49AM

Good call on Emilianos in Femes!!
Is El Charcon the one with big arched door and think is run by a german lady?

Quentins and Kinsale especially sound particularly Irish and on that reason alone see nothing which would make them stand out when so many other great places to go and so little time!!!!

Date: June 06, 2006 01:36PM

hey Will, maybe you're talkin' about another restaurant.
no,I don't remember about the german lady in el charcon.The owner carries on directly the restaurant, his name is Ricardo, it's a 1,80 tall man and 100 kilos weight,a very friendly guy.The restaurant is directly on the dock, with blue doors( website www.elcharcon.com ), excellent seafood,a wonderful fish soupe (sancocho), good prices too.wonderful local cheese.

yes, on Emiliano in Femes, u're right, sure,wonderful place and the food it's so good....and prices sooo gooood...specialized on local typical meat alike rabbit and goat...one of my favorites rest. in Lanza!
el charcon and Casa Emiliano are closed on wednesday.
another interesting place: la saranda, in Macher, going downhill to PCalero it's on the left....

Date: June 06, 2006 03:36PM

I've seen El Charcon - but have never been - my favourite is the one you pass first on the right if you walk from El Charcon towards the beach - only about 50m away.

Date: June 06, 2006 06:14PM

Quentins is near to the petrol station top of hill in the old town. Next door to Blairs if you know where that is (the old Russell's Restaurant)

Kinsale is in los Pocillos (I think) or Matagorda possibly.

Been to Quentins. Had a good reputation when it first opened so gave it a try. Wasn't overly impressed with the food but so many people say they think it is brilliant. They have an unusual menu (i.e. not just steak, steak, fish and more steak). Horses for courses I suppose.
Not been to Kinsale but have heard (once again) that it is good.

There is a new italian in Los Pocillos called Pulcinella. It's the very last restaurant on the parade round the prom in front of the Jameos Playa Hotel.
Usual Italian fare but the staff can't do enough to help and never had a bad meal there (been about 5 times since they opened 6 months ago). Reasonably priced as well.

Date: June 06, 2006 10:25PM

for JenD, in PDC you could try Six Nations Bar, in calle teide, upstairs.Looking for watch FIFA world cup football matches in Germany? he he he, I'm waiting for Italy Vs England....what a match!!!

For Lynne that goes to the italian restaurants....hey lynne, don't trust them, italian restaurants and "pizzerie" in Lanza are....I don't want tell bad things. Trust me, I've tried, in the past,differents italian rest. in lanza...what a robbish, all garbage food, trust me!

Date: June 07, 2006 09:31AM

josie, I don't know it, I've never been there.
what I said it means that I've been in several italian rests.in lanza,but I've eaten not good food cooked in the right italian way.that's the meaning of "rubbish" I give to that foods, but for people not used to eat in italian cooking style, could also be good food, why not.It's the same,example, if I go in a british rest. to eat a "wonderful" yorkshire pudding and I say it was very good: maybe a british like u says that it was "garbage", because you know (but I don't know) how a real british meal must be, in the right and traditional way, right?

Date: June 07, 2006 11:09AM

Well its hardly suprising!! I go to Lanzarote to eat fresh fish cooked in a traditional way.

I don't go to Lanza to eat chinese, indian, thai, vietnamese etc because bizarrely and I know some of you chavs out there may get confused but certain foods and cooking styles develop because of the surroundings you are in - bit like the Jamie Oliver thing with kids not knowing that burgers come from cows etc.. Ie. lots of water - suggests seafood may be a good option. If I want a chinese I will probably head to china town, not for the Slow Boat in Playa Blanca where I will come out bouncing because of all the MSG and a slightly more orange colour.

Any f*ckwit can knock out a Pizza!! Pound for pound it is the biggest marked up item of food I think cashwise. L'artista is pretty good for Lanzarote - what really makes the place are the superb views and the atmosphere will be banging for the footie as they have loads of tellies.

Date: June 07, 2006 11:53AM

<<<L'artista is pretty good for Lanzarote - what really makes the place are the superb views and the atmosphere will be banging for the footie as they have loads of tellies. >>>>

Now who's being "chav", Will? Sitting in a restaurant/bar watching football with a crowd of like minded zombies.........you have gone down market!!

Lynne

Date: June 07, 2006 04:54PM

What are you on about pastinaca??

So I spose the time I was sitting outside Pedros and this old bloke in a wetsuit appeared up the steps from the beach with about 20 squid on a harpoon he had actually been busy defrosting them??

Squid are definitely caught in the area thats why it is a canarian specialty and if you have it it tastes nothing like the frozen rubber rings you get over her - as are TUna - tho in much smaller quantities than they used to be. Not a big fan of tuna tho.

Mussels I would imagine come from frozen yes.

Date: June 07, 2006 06:15PM

Virtually all beef for Lanzarote is Argentinean.

I can absolutely guarantee the old chap delivering Squid to Casa Pedro in Playa Blanca was for use in the restaurant. The restaurant owner has his own fishing boats to ensure fresh produce.

You should go there. It really is very good. You might even see the old bloke with his harpoon if you go at lunch time.

Date: June 19, 2006 04:50PM

Just back from Lanzarote and to let you know that we had a lovely meal in the Cang.rogo. Service was top class , the view is lovely but the food was nice but not exceptional. Had grilled sole which I asked to be filleted but there was loads of bones left in it. My friend had a good steak with lovley sauce. We had a superb meal in the Polish Irish rest the Casa Bodgeo which is just up from the irish habour bar. The beef stroganoff was superb as was another lamb dish.
I located the Kinsale which is located just beyond the Jamesoes hotel going towards Matagorda. Did not have time to eat there but looked at the menu and it seemed to be top class. Spoke to some english people who did eat there and they recommeded it highly.
Weather was very cloudy which was a bummer but still it was a good break. thanks everyone for the recommendations.
Sheelah

Posted by: bluemoonsteve ()
Date: June 29, 2006 11:46PM

kINSALE has been recomended to me by a owner of another place in Matagorda it is in the Jameos Playa shopping centre near to Lenaghans its is Irish owned and run and the Chef is the owner, the same person also reccomended Casa Benito in the Harbour where they eat when they are not working

hope this helps

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

LanzaroteIsland.com is not responsible for the content of the messages on this forum. Comments posted are owned by the person that posts them and we do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message. The messages express the views of the author of the message, not the views of LanzaroteIsland.com.

Lanzarote forum by Phorum