LanzaroteIsland.com The more complete leisure and tourism guide about lanzarote
Twitter Facebook YouTube rss feed

Home > Forum about Lanzarote

Forum about Lanzarote

Forums: Lanzarote | Miscellanea | Work | old forum

Register

Lanzarote Forum

Opinions, questions and advice about accommodation, tourism, leisure and anything you may need in Lanzarote. 
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Keep Me Sane!
Posted by: Elle1971 ()
Date: July 12, 2006 09:33PM

Hello all!

I'm a huge fan of Italian Dry White Wine (Pinot Grigio, Orvieto... you get the idea). I can't abide Chardonnay (maybe it's an aversion to £Footballers' Wives eh?).

Anyhoo... just wanted to know if anyone can recommend a good Spanish Dry White that's freely available in Lanz, that I could practise on before me & Mr Elle arrive in September?

I promise to raise a glass to you when I sample lol.

I await with eagerness!

Elle

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Keep Me Sane!
Posted by: Ellie ()
Date: July 13, 2006 09:50AM

Bermejo (pronounced bermeko) is beautiful - they only make so many bottles per year though, and when we were there in april, many waiters said that stocks were usually running low by the summer time. It is in a bottle with no label on it. Im not good with wines, all i know that its white and not chardonnay!

Date: July 13, 2006 10:13AM

Thanks to all of you - I'm going to see what I can locate here in England... have a try... and then I'll be prepared for when we arrive! Oh what a chore lol ;-)

Hope you all have a good day!

Elle xx

Posted by: Will2 ()
Date: July 13, 2006 11:45AM

Elle and others - its all well and good saying anything but Chardonnay but when you say tree in a bottle you are only talking about OAKED chardonnays. And Pinot Grigio is virtually exactly the same as an unoaked chardonnay anyway.

These are mainly Australian, SOuth African and US chardonnay's which are aged with oak chips in them to increase the surface area exposed and rather than the "buttery" flavour gives it the oaky woody stuff you don't like.

Vina Sol is an unoaked chardonnay blend I think you'll find!!! Very nice that it is to!!

Pete - why on earth are you recommending 1987 Reservas?!!! Think we're looking for everyday drinking right?

Generally the spanish don't over oak there wines any way.

I'd look out for Rueda, Rioja Blanco, chardonnay (promise it won't taste like anything by Jacobs Creek!) and if you fancy splashing out an Albarino - around 10E

Over here - try french chardonnay or sauvignon blanc - sancerre if you want to splash the cash. Also New Zealand and Aussie Rieslings are superb at the moment.

And for some reason my Will profile was corrupted so am WIll2!!

Date: July 13, 2006 12:04PM

Thanks so much. I do like a Pinot Grigio Chardonnay - so yes, the oaked versus unoaked makes sense. I like the Pinot & Orvieto because it doesn't have that kick-back aftertaste. As long as it's crisp - then I'm a happy lady. I like Rose too.

The upshot of this thread shows that there's plenty for me to try - which is great!

Thanks again for all your help and advice.

Just popping to the off-licence now lol.

Date: July 13, 2006 12:42PM

You consider anything under £15 plonk???

Jeez.

YOu do realise that a bottle of wine costing £30 in a restuarant - well above house wine stuff - would cost approx £5 or £6 at a supermarket and therefore be plonk under your rating pete?

Celty - wasn't intending to be patronising sorry if it came accross that way HOWEVER....

How can you be "generalising" when you say "I'm and ABC" anything but Chardonnay!!!! That sounds very specific to me!!

I like experimenting with my booze - greek chardonnays for example can be superb for a change.

Just don't buy your stuff from local corner shop - turnover isn't high enough and most to get a duff bottle.

I certainly don't feel under pressure like Pete that to enjoy wine you have to spend £15 plus to enjoy it. THousands of bargains if you read the papers or look out for the offers at £5 and under and certainly not plonk.

And the best thing about lanza is all the spanish wines I like in the UK which normally around £8-£10 in the UK are around £3 in Lanza!! Does that suddenly make them "plonk" then Pete?

Date: July 13, 2006 01:18PM

If I'm in a restaurant I ask the waiter!

Pete I don't get you. Can we have this again in English?!

"No, but the ones in UK which sell for £3 sell in Lanza for a fiver as drain cleaner."

What I said was Campo Vieja Rioja Reserva sells in the UK for £8-£10 if not more.
In Lanza you can get it for £3-£5. Because its less than a fiver in Lanza does that make it plonk? Certainly isn't drain cleaner.

Its people like you perpetuating the myth that wine under £15 is drain cleaner and that you HAVE to spend lots of money to enjoy wine that puts people off, that makes them scared to ask a waiter or sommelier to tell them what a wine is like. If you tell a waiter your budget and what you want then that is what they should help you choose.

Example here is that Celty and Elle are ABCs because they have never experienced unoaked charddonay becasue there assumption is that all chardonnay tastes of wood. Majority of Old World Chardonnay is unoaked.

Sermon over. Suggest you all go out and buy book called "superplonk" or read Jill Dupleixs columns in sunday times.

Date: July 13, 2006 01:53PM

PMSL!!!! You guys crack me up! And there was me thinking this would be a non-emotive thread. ;-)

Personally, I will pay anything up to £15 for a bottle of vino, although I hate the prices that restaurants here in England charge. But actually the one I drink most of is non-brand Pinot Grigio (2 for a fiver at my local off-licence lol). And it tastes great! Ooh, and I like Chablis too. At the end of the day - it's flavour that drives me... and I love plonk as much as I love a good wine year.

I'm not one of those that drinks this wine with that meat, or that wine with this fish... although I've been told that it helps to enhance the flavour of both the food AND the wine if you get the mix right. I'm possibly missing out.

Looks like I should organise a wine tasting for me & my girls soon lol. Any excuse eh?

Am now off to a bar on Southsea Seafront, with my best pal, Fiona. We'll be drinking Pinot Rouge - which is gorgeous too!

Elle xx

Posted by: marco971 ()
Date: July 13, 2006 02:12PM

For Elle1971: hi,good choice about italian wines(he he he, I'm from Italy!).however,if you prefer wines alike Orvieto or Pinot, in my opinion you should try in lanza wines like el grifo, la geria, mozaga too. Somebody told bermejo (from lanza of course):excellent wine, I like it, but simply I think it's a different taste from the others I said and,Elle, if you like the "straights" white italian wines you told,you'll find bermejo not so good alike grifo and the others.The same for Torres Vina Sol: it tastes a little bit with fruit notes, good but you could not love it if you like Italian Orvieto Classico. As always happens when talkin' about wine, it was just a my personal point of view,and my words are not the "Holy Bible" as in italy we say....
one more word:a lot of good italian chardonnay are not aged inside oak barrels.The wood taste given by the barrel (sometimes wood taste remembers vanilla notes) it's often (almost) in wines from usa ,south africa,australia (Penfold's 4 example), chile....
Sometimes,some cheap chardonnays from outside europe, are not barrel aged, but have a pleasant wood taste:why?that's because are "fake" wines,robbish: the producer puts the wine in big steel tanks,adds wood powder (sawdust) for some weeks,and after filtering the wine it's ready for sale!
If u like rose wines too,try the rose from lanzarote!
I don't talk about spanish continental wines because I don't know about it and,mostly,'cos when I'm in Lanza I love drink also wine from the place. smiling smiley

...somebody told me that in lanza there's a "wonderful" wine, limited production from a small producer, its name should be "ceniza de volcan" or similar,I don't remember.

Date: July 13, 2006 03:08PM

Didn't want to suggest FT as didn't think was on the radar of most Lanzarote goers ..... joking b4 you all rip my head off.

Posted by: marco971 ()
Date: July 13, 2006 03:50PM

Elle, just want to specify that,of course,not all no-european wines are fake"wood aged" in the sawdust way I've told!You can find excellent chardonnays in California (Beringer one of the best and winner of several world competitions),Africa (in Capetown surroundings), the spanish producer Torres makes very good wines in Chile, as alike the very good chardonnay by Penfold in NSW, australia.

Date: July 13, 2006 05:05PM

See how you guys rock? I've just got in from an afternoon (cut short) with my best pal, and am awaiting my fella to come home and catch up lol... But loving the input! I have my notepad constantly topped up with suggestions now!

My poor off license doesn't know what's hit him. I've been in and demanded that he gets some of these bottles in. I got a blank look from him - then I suggested that he does it anyway lol.

Bless you all!

Rock on vino!

(and yes, I'm now more than a little tipsy!) ;-)

PS: Most recently: Thanks to Celtygirl (We women should stick/drink together), Will (You kill me... love your humour) & Marco (loving the Italian of course!)

Date: July 13, 2006 06:10PM

Re. US wines - very little gets over to the UK except that overpriced Ernst and Julio crap as the yanks drink it all themselves.

For a massive generalisation - new world wines use more modern techniques that generate more alcoholic stronger more in your face flavours for cheaper - ie. compare NZ or Chilean sauvignon blanc V French, Aussie Shiraz V French etc etc.

Note: huge generalisation!!!

And remember UK has the largest, most discerning and most diverse wine market in the world. Supermarkets can't get away selling complete rubbish.

Date: July 13, 2006 06:41PM

Choking on your £800 Chateau Lafite-Rothschild 1982?

Date: July 13, 2006 06:47PM

'71 was the best year... cos that was when I was born. But hey - don't mean nowt for vino!

Date: July 13, 2006 06:57PM

Do you live in Lanz Celtygirl? If so... then we'll definitely meet up. If not, then it'll have to be when you come over for holidays. After September of course - cos we're not there until then.

Hugs, Elle xx

Date: July 13, 2006 07:03PM

Think you'll find it was Celty!!! Check your Hugh Johnson out!!

When is your website working Elle?

Date: July 13, 2006 07:06PM

Should be up and running in late August/early September, Will. I'm loathe to do it too early. I want to get to know the Canary people first and get them involved. There's no point in talking about Lanzarote people without getting their views too.

You fancy the girlie wine tasting too?

Hugs, Elle xx

Date: July 14, 2006 12:00PM

Don't think Pete was talking about that sort of support celty......... Pete you perv!!!

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

LanzaroteIsland.com is not responsible for the content of the messages on this forum. Comments posted are owned by the person that posts them and we do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message. The messages express the views of the author of the message, not the views of LanzaroteIsland.com.

Lanzarote forum by Phorum