LanzaroteIsland.com The more complete leisure and tourism guide about lanzarote
Twitter Facebook YouTube rss feed

Home > Forum about Lanzarote

Forum about Lanzarote

Forums: Lanzarote | Miscellanea | Work | old forum

Register

Lanzarote Forum

Opinions, questions and advice about accommodation, tourism, leisure and anything you may need in Lanzarote. 
coming overland?
Posted by: twinny ()
Date: July 16, 2006 01:07PM

how do we get to lanza overland?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: coming overland?
Posted by: biffa ()
Date: July 16, 2006 01:29PM

I done this trip in January this year.
Firstly go to www.getmethere.co.uk and get a route to Cadiz in southern Spain. I took the toll road option all the way and the total toll charges were 220 euros but the roads were excellent and all major cities and towns on your route are signposted well in advance, so you can't get lost (i didn't and i'm usless in the uk lol).
The ferry leaves Cadiz for Las Palmas in Gran Canaria at 5pm on a saturday but you have to be there by 4pm to load on. The ferry can be booked from the UK with southern ferries (www.southernferries.co.uk) only book the Cadiz - Las palmas ferry though as they are agents for transmeditarania (spellings wrong i know) thats because the transmed ferry from Las palmas to Arreciffe doesn't leave until 12 midnight on a tuesday and as the Cadiz ferry gets into las Palmas at 8am on a Monday that leaves a long wait for the Arrecife ferry. The best option is to drive around to the Armas ferry terminal where you can pay for the Arrecife ferry at the office , this ferry leaves at 12pm on monday night, its still a long wait but better than 2 days. It cost me 120 euros for a large van and 2 passengers(this was half the price that transmed wanted) The Armas terminal is easy to find, when you leave the dock you'll come to a roundabout just turn left and follow the road for about half a mile and you'll see it on the left.
Want any more info just ask.

Posted by: Elle1971 ()
Date: July 19, 2006 07:32PM

Thanks for this information Biffa - it's been really useful! We're going overland too, leaving England on a Tuesday & then staying with friends in Malaga... so this timetable is really helping us with our itinerary! Not sure about these toll roads though. 220 Euros is quite steep!

Thanks again... it's given us something to play with!

Hugs, Elle

Date: July 20, 2006 06:32PM

Well... we sat down last night and added up how much it would be in total for the two of us, a car & a trailer.... and in total it was going to cost over £1800 in ferries & fuel. That's more than double what we thought! Plus it would take us over a week to get there. We've done our sums, and now our flights are reserved, as are the couriers who are going to bring our stuff over (not furniture, as there's already some in our temporary apartment). That was really cheap, and will only take a fortnight to arrive.

Flights through Thomas Cook: £45.99 each
Courier: £360
Getting to Lanz in just a few hours with no stress: Priceless!

Ok, so we'll have to buy a car when we arrive - but we'll only need an old banger for a while anyway.

21st September = Arrival day! Eek!!

PS. Simon. Just yet another reason why I'm moving to different climes ;-)

Posted by: biffa ()
Date: July 20, 2006 06:47PM

Just a word of caution about the couriers. Ive been told that you have to pay import duty for your personal belongings though you can claim this back but i believe its a slow process. If customs see that your personal belonging are new then the tax paid is non refundable. I have heard of people having problems actually getting their stuff out of customs.
When i came over i knew nothing of this until i was told on the ferry by a brit who was himself a courier. he said i should have had a form t62 and itemised every peice of equipment in my van and paid the relevent duty. Needless to say it was a nervous guy who drove of that ferry trying not to catch the eye of the waiting customs officers. I am sure that your courier company will have told you this (or not if i am misinformed)
best of luck.
And yes it is expensive to drive here but we decided that our personal stuff was far to valuble to trust to anyone but ourselves and it was great fun as well, a bit of a holiday before our new life started, and the van has started working for me as well.

let me know how you get on.

Date: July 20, 2006 07:14PM

Yes, luckily we've looked at that too. One company has come up trumps with all the paperwork etc, so we're sorted there. www.lloydmanex.com So fingers crossed eh?

The personal stuff we're shipping isn't really that valuable. We're taking the laptops with us when we fly, and the really sentimental stuff is staying here until Xmas. We'll be coming back here every couple of months for Business & family visits, so can pick up bits each time.

It should really be stressful - but it all seems to be going smoothly now.

Wish us luck!

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

LanzaroteIsland.com is not responsible for the content of the messages on this forum. Comments posted are owned by the person that posts them and we do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message. The messages express the views of the author of the message, not the views of LanzaroteIsland.com.

Lanzarote forum by Phorum