LanzaroteIsland.com The more complete leisure and tourism guide about lanzarote
Twitter Facebook YouTube rss feed

Home > Forum about Lanzarote

Forum about Lanzarote

Forums: Lanzarote | Miscellanea | Work | old forum

Register

Lanzarote Forum

Opinions, questions and advice about accommodation, tourism, leisure and anything you may need in Lanzarote. 
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
New Supermarket in PB?
Posted by: Will2 ()
Date: September 26, 2006 05:39PM

Whats this new Hiperdino supermarket in Playa Blanca? Must have sprung up quick - it wasn't there in June!

Is it any good? Since the demise of Valiente's to become another Netto only half decent place is Marcial.

I assume the weekly pilgrimage to Vivo's near the airport will still be necessary (tho its normally a pleasure not a chore!!) - poss my fave supermarket in the world!!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New Supermarket in PB?
Date: September 27, 2006 10:32AM

Josie - obviosuly an Old School lady! I remember Salvadors when it used to actually sell useful stuff. In fact I remember meeting Salvador in the mid 80s!!

The "new" netto I'm talking about is what the oldies call Valientes - by the roundabout opposite the taxi rank.

Angie - when you say no Vivo's required can I get -

Fresh fish - sardines, squid etc? Fresh Herbs? Massive meat and cheese selection?
Every vegetable under the sun?

Re. vivos being fun - every time I go they seem to be playing what sounds like a NOW compilation from the early 90s!!

Last time we went was bopping along the aisles to Haddaway - What is love, bit of Rhythm is a dancer and then some Supergrass!

Like it because the aisles are wide, no chav families much more relaxing shopping experience compared to tesco!

Date: September 27, 2006 12:44PM

Is it as big as Vivos then? YOu didn't mention the muzic they play!!!!

Prob will still go to Vivo though as an excuse to buy myself a kilo of Salmon at Uga!!!

Date: September 27, 2006 01:12PM

Vivo - I think its part of a chain - but not Marcial - possible hiper dino. Compared to UK supermarkets am well impressed!

Date: September 28, 2006 12:20PM

1) Do it - if you do nothing else. Pop in one lunch time to book. You will invariably stay for a few tapay bits when booking

There is no menu - just go with it! Cost approx £30-£40 a head depending on booze.

2) How can you tell its empty when you go past as its on the 1st floor?!
Its my usual first night restaurant as is open till 11.30 midnight. Baby lamb chops is superb. Don't mess about with pinicity dishes the y do straight up meat really well. Fish soup os top drawer too.
3) Go early! Its hot and hard work but so worth it. Take water too. Binoculars and a camera perhaps.

Dunno about the rest.

Date: September 29, 2006 11:52AM

You're barmy!!!!!!!!!

Date: September 29, 2006 12:07PM

This is a wind up right?

You fly 2 hours or so to Madrid. Loiter at the airport for a couple of hours then catch another flight for a couple of hours to Feurtaventura, then get a half hour transfer or so to the ferry port before getting a ferry to Playa Blanca???

TO save what............. £40?!!!!!

And then you do it all again to go home???

So you are wasting 16 hours each to save £40? You could take a second job at minimum wage work those hours down your local pub and actually end up with more cash?

Are you drug mules or something? Come on own up!!

We usually go for 11 days - fly out on the evening BA fly on a Sunday - get in 8 ish straight to Romantica, go back on the 8 pm flight the following THursday get in at midnight. No faffing about on ferries!!

Well we go up to Arrieta at least once, I might have a round of golf , if we are their for 2 weeks need to do 2 big shops for meat and stuff so always passing by and always a pleasure to pop in at Bodega for a sharpner b4 lunch!

C'mon own up this is a wind up right?

Date: September 29, 2006 01:33PM

No wonder your still furnishing your apartment!

Just as soon as you get there you have to leave again to get the ferry home.

Have you tried flying Air Berlin? From Munich? I personally prefer to get the Portsmouth - St Malo ferry - as a foot passenger of course and then hitching to Hamburg. From here there is a complimentary coach service to Copenhagen where you can take a hot air ballon which if the prevailing south westerly wind is not too strong gets you to Stockholm in no time.

Here I find you can stow away in a container ship across the baltic for free to Gdansk where a friendly lorry driver could get you to the Polish German border. From here you can walk to Berlin and catch a train to Munich and get your flight to Arrecife.

All for £120 - £15 cheaper than BA, Monarch or XL! Result.

Date: September 29, 2006 01:36PM

I'm still shaking my head!!

How do you maximise your time in Lanza by spending 24 hours travelling?

Date: September 29, 2006 02:05PM

Don't be nasty Pete.

I'm sure there is a perfectly valid reason - I personally love to hang around for hours at airports waiting for connecting flights almost as much as visiting supermarkets.........

Date: September 29, 2006 04:01PM

I don't follow your logic Pastinaca

1) Ryanair start going to Fuerte from DUBLIN in Dec 06.
I tried a few dates in Dec, Jan and March and cheapest I got was £136 once taxes charges etc was added. Plus the cost of taxi to ferry, ferry etc. I can't see the SERIOUS money saving you are talking about.

2) Yes the only reason I would go via Madrid was if I was spending some time in Madrid - and I'm not talking about spending time in duty free! Generally the iberia flights to Madrid and on to Lanza cost more anyway!

3) Why? You should be able to get to Lanza from Gatwick or Manchester for under £150 if you avoid school holidays. I've even had to pay £180 once or twice - but for me to go on a 10 hour marathon to go on holiday - no!! Whole point is to relax, chill etc! Whats the point of undoing all that good work on the beach.

4) I agree it would be really nice arriving to PB by boat - but I would expect flying to Fuerte, cab to ferry then ferry to PB, cab to Villa to cost more not less!

Posted by: Elle1971 ()
Date: October 01, 2006 12:50PM

Went to the new Hiperdino in PB this morning... and it´s not for us.I prefer to share the shopping between Vivos at Arrecife, and the Marcial at Playa Blanca. I´ve found Hiperdino & netto a bit pricey (ok... so I´m used to Asda prices lol).

Speaking of dodgy music... What´s with the music in Car Parks?

On a high note (pardon the pun)... we´ve discovered a gorgeous Italian wine in Marcial for only 1 euro 69 cents! Needless to say, Alan & I have been supping large quantities of it this week! Oh, that´ll be whilst we´re sat by our pool in our gorgeous new home! Oh, the life!

Date: October 02, 2006 09:50AM

Hmmmmm! I still don't follow! I'd prefer to go for less time than waste all that time burning airmiles - this year did 3 lanza weekend breaks! 2 x Thurs to Mon on BA and one Tues to Sunday. Worked out really well.

Date: October 02, 2006 05:55PM

Ha ha ha ha Keith! There was a full shelf a week ago... but Alan and I have all but depleted it now! No more drink til the weekend now though - we're being busy little bunnies! Aren't we good? But yes, we are all thinking of you guys back in Engalnd. What's the weather like there at the moment? We're back there for 10 days at Christmas... and I'm sure we'll be freezing!

Josie... have a fantastic holiday! Wave to your right as you come into PB... and we'll wave back!

Hugs, as always... Elle xx

Date: October 02, 2006 06:04PM

Elle where in PB are you? Have you bought or renting? So whats wrong with the new supermercado? Hopefully out in November but we'll see....!

Date: October 02, 2006 06:23PM

Parque Del Rey, Will... If you come in on the main road... then you hit a roundabout with a petrol station on it... turn right there... and then right at the next roundabout too. We're on the left. We're renting for now... but maybe we'll buy later on. Come see us in November if you make it... but don't forget my birthday pressie!

Nothing wrong with the new Supermercado... I've just really taken to Vivos and the Marcial. We're off to Vivos tomorrow... Need to stock up!

Take care, Elle xx

Date: October 03, 2006 09:50AM

Is that near Paradise Island? COming from yaiza turn right at the big roundabout, past Dunas, La Perla and you're on the right somewhere?

Vivo's is great fun. Not cheap but a nice shopping experience!

Posted by: marco971 ()
Date: October 04, 2006 10:44AM

hi all. I'll be very soon in PB, what do u think which could be the best superm. in PB?The new Hiperdino?Not exactly the cheapest (one week of money saving doesn't change my life), but the best,full of good stuff (drinks,meat,fish....),very good quality stuff.usually I'm in PDC and go to stock up on arrecife or on hiperdino in Deyland(playa honda), but this time they'll be too far from PB to stock up well 2-3 times in a week...!
thank you all for the advices... smiling smiley

Date: October 04, 2006 11:12AM

Hi Marco. We went into the Hyperdino in the Deiland yesterday... and they´ve got a really good selection of stuff. The deli counters and fish looked really good in there. Loads of offers too, at the moment! But if yiou want all that, and more, and also some nice cheesy music (yesterday it was Wham!), then head across to Vivos.

Will... Not sure where Paradise Island is. But coming from Yaiza... turn right at the big roundabout (the one with the petrol station on it... just before the one with the temperature sign)... then turn right again at the next roundabout (opposite a hotel with domes)... we´re up that road on the left. It´s easier than it sounds... honest!

Posted by: marco971 ()
Date: October 04, 2006 12:01PM

thanks,elle! we'll meet on 20th of this month in Deiland,don't buy all the wines,leave 20-30 liters for me....! smiling smiley

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

LanzaroteIsland.com is not responsible for the content of the messages on this forum. Comments posted are owned by the person that posts them and we do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message. The messages express the views of the author of the message, not the views of LanzaroteIsland.com.

Lanzarote forum by Phorum