LanzaroteIsland.com The more complete leisure and tourism guide about lanzarote
Twitter Facebook YouTube rss feed

Home > Forum about Lanzarote

Forum about Lanzarote

Forums: Lanzarote | Miscellanea | Work | old forum

Register

Lanzarote Forum

Opinions, questions and advice about accommodation, tourism, leisure and anything you may need in Lanzarote. 
Vodafone broadband mobile connect card for Laptop
Posted by: burrenyoga ()
Date: November 05, 2006 10:41PM

Hi,
I am planning to come to Lanzarote end of November 2006 for 6 weeks until January, and am looking for the best way to get broadband connection to my laptop while i am there.

I am planning to be staying near Playa de Famara.

Vodafone Ireland has a facility called a Mobile Connect card which plugs into the laptop, and allows one to access the internet using a fast connection, provided the area has a 3G coverage.

I don't want to buy the card in Ireland, as i will be charged roaming rates while in Lanzarote.

Is there a Vodafone shop in Lanzarote where i can buy this card ?

Has anyone used one in Lanzarote to access the internet ?

What is the vodafone coverage in Lanzarote ? Any 3G service ?

What cost is the card, and the on-going pricing ?

Does anyone have other advice.... maybe a good broadband cafe near Playa de Famara ?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Dave

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Vodafone broadband mobile connect card for Laptop
Posted by: Elle1971 ()
Date: November 06, 2006 11:14AM

Yes, there are Vodaphone shops all over Lanzarote. So you won't have a problem picking up a card. But if your laptop is wireless enabled, then you'll be able to pick up a signal i various places anyway.

Date: November 06, 2006 11:57AM

Hi Elle,
I hear that in Famara there may not be good reception for mobile phones. Is this true?

Have you ever used a network card in a laptop.... up North near Famara? Is it possible to pick up a 3G signal?

I have a wireless network card in the laptop. Do you if there are any WiFi hotspots in Famara that i could pick up a signal?

From what i hear, there appears to a good few hotspots in PDC, but any in Famara?

Thanks for replying so quickly.

Best Wishes,
Dave

Date: November 06, 2006 02:00PM

I don't know Famara at all, I'm afraid. I'm in Playa Blanca. But I'm sure someone else will know. PDC and Playa Blanca have lots of places you can pick up Wifi though.

Good luck!

Elle

Date: November 09, 2006 12:11AM

Famara.... lovely as it sounds, might be a bit remote for internet access.

I hear that Costa Teguise is also a nice place, so i am considering staying there instead and becoming a coffee afficianado in the Maritas centre ;-)

Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced hotel or preferably apartment nearby the Maritas centre?

Thanks,
Dave

Posted by: johnno ()
Date: January 22, 2007 09:43PM

I'm about to go to Club La Santa. I know they used to have an Internet booth (1 Euro / 8 mins).

Does anyone know if they now have Wi-Fi there? Anyone know if it's free for guests?

Thanks

Date: January 22, 2007 10:29PM

Sorry Johnno... I can't help you on this one. The website just says that it has computers connected to the internet. Maybe someone else knows?

Here's their website, though for more info about where you're headed. We're taking the boys there in the summer for a day or two.

[www.clublasanta.co.uk]

Have a great time!

Elle x

Date: January 23, 2007 01:21AM

Alan has quite rightly reminded me... [www.lanzarote-webcam.com] is advertising rentals of 3G cards at the moment. Which means you may not have to go without wifi access. I don't remember the prices... but speak to Rafael there - he should be able to sort something out.
Cheers!

Posted by: Will2 ()
Date: January 23, 2007 11:39AM

I wouldn't change your plans just cos you can't get wi fi access all the time.

Famara is beautiful - incomparable with Costa Teguise which is a purpose built 1980s package holiday resort. I'm sure there are nice bits but I would take Famara hands down every time.

La Santa will have some sort of connection.

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

LanzaroteIsland.com is not responsible for the content of the messages on this forum. Comments posted are owned by the person that posts them and we do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message. The messages express the views of the author of the message, not the views of LanzaroteIsland.com.

Lanzarote forum by Phorum