Forum about Lanzarote

Forums: Lanzarote | Miscellanea | Work | old forum

Register

Lanzarote Forum

Acclimatised Pool
Posted by: geejaybee ()
Date: February 19, 2007 02:21PM

Hi,

The villa I have booked for 2 weeks at thy end of this month has an "acclimatised pool".
At first I assumed this meant it had some sort of solar heating, butr now I'm not sure.
Does "acclimatised" mean actually heated or just "left to the sun to warm it up"?

Re: Acclimatised Pool
Posted by: Elle1971 ()
Date: February 19, 2007 10:18PM

Toughie this one - as unfortunately some accomodation suppliers don't quite understand the meaning, and therefore can give misleading descriptions.

The dictionary describes it as "adapting to the climate or environment". Which means to me, that as it gets warmer outside... so the pool would increase in temperature. Likewise... if the air temperature drops, then the pool will follow. (actually we could have a whole conversation here about how water, air and earth all change temperature at different rates yada yada... but we'd be here til Easter)

I think it means "only jump in if you're really brave between October and March, because it'll freeze bits off you that you didn't know you had! But for the rest of the year, it's a welcome relief from the heat" winking smiley But that's just my personal opinion. I have an acclimatised pool, and haven't been in it very much lately... but some would say that's because I'm a Southern Jessie.

A large number of people relish the cooler pool - and that's great too. I used to see the old fellas out swimming on New Years day in Portsmouth. And I think our Celtygirl here quite likes her Northern Waters (but then she's kept warm with Irn Bru... and is a nutter) tongue sticking out smiley

This subject was broached previously, and caused lots of discussion.

Have a read - and I hope that it helps you make your mind up. If you can let us know which villa it is, that you are looking at - then maybe someone could go dip a toe for you grinning smiley

[www.lanzaroteisland.com]

Good luck hon!

Date: February 19, 2007 10:24PM

Thanks Elle, its the Villa Oceano in Puerto Calero.
I have to say if your description is right I will be disappointed. Seems a bit perverse to me for the pool to get colder in Winter!!!! Thats just when you want it warmer no????

Posted by: Will2 ()
Date: February 20, 2007 10:02AM

I prefer unheated or slightly heated pool generally!

Temp of our pool varies between 20 - 25C 25 feels red hot 20 feels like ice! Its amazing what the difference is.

Hate the council pools in London that are heated to 30/31C plus the amount of extra chlorine they have to put in to keep the bugs under control.

Date: February 20, 2007 11:17AM

I wouldn't like a pool to be hot, but have to admit I am a bit of a wimp and the pool we had in the Don Rafael villa 2 years ago was so cold i was defrosting my nether regions weeks later...

Posted by: biffa ()
Date: February 20, 2007 02:22PM

Hi, an acclimatised pool is one that has a seperate heating system that does not rely on solar in the winter as the temperatures required to heat the pool are not high enough. Pools have a 'calorex' or 'titanium' electric heater which heat the pools to around 27-29 degrees,though this can be adjusted up or down (if theres a cover in place at night). Hope this answers your question.

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

LanzaroteIsland.com is not responsible for the content of the messages on this forum. Comments posted are owned by the person that posts them and we do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message. The messages express the views of the author of the message, not the views of LanzaroteIsland.com.

Lanzarote forum by Phorum