LanzaroteIsland.com The more complete leisure and tourism guide about lanzarote
Twitter Facebook YouTube rss feed

Home > Forum about Lanzarote

Forum about Lanzarote

Forums: Lanzarote | Miscellanea | Work | old forum

Register

Lanzarote Forum

Opinions, questions and advice about accommodation, tourism, leisure and anything you may need in Lanzarote. 
Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Why did you move to Lanzarote?!
Posted by: Will2 ()
Date: July 30, 2007 03:23PM

Interesting thread on the other site?

Couldn't be bothered to use my alter ego profile on there - but thought debate would be far more interesting say.

Basically I'm rather shocked that majority of people come to Lanza because England is full of Asians, Africans and Poles.

I imagine that many Lanzaroteans are moving off the island because of the influx of brits.......

Discuss....

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Why did you move to Lanzarote?!
Date: July 30, 2007 03:53PM

Just putting cat amongst the pigeons alan!!

If you don't like living with black people just fugging say it (not you alan - just making a general point)

I like living in London. In particular I like living in shitty parts of london. Why? Because its fun, life moves quickly, nothing is ever the same. Its cheap. i can get to go to fantastic ethnic restaurants for a fraction of the price for bigger name places or chains.

I would say I am in the ethnic minority where i live. When I get off tube assumption is that I am a Polish guy in an office job. My mrs gets chatted up regularly in Ukrainian, Polish whatever because she is tall and blonde.

I love being in the melting pot. In another 5 years it will all have changed as the area becomes mature and respectable - and I will have to move to find another shithole (and taking a considerable payoff from the housing prices....)

When I become an old cnut complaining about the foreigners please have me put down!!

My latest business venture by the way is doing VAT and tax returns for the Poles!! Unlike brits and Irish they are very organised and pay up on time!

PS Was in Tunbridge Wells at the weekend! Everyone white middle class and lovely - but BORING!!

Date: July 30, 2007 04:27PM

... I mean with all the Spaniards, Germans, Morrocans and Algerians there are more foreigners than at home FFS!!!

Date: July 30, 2007 06:20PM

I'm sure that makes a lot of sense Pete but I haven't a clue what you are talking about.....

I must admit I have been reading the Daily Mail on line recently and its hilarious!! I wouldn't leave the house if I believed any of it!!

Posted by: sirharry ()
Date: July 30, 2007 07:51PM

I am bored of the high cost of the UK, tax and the fact we have no outside life.

I also like living on and Island, but Lanzarote seems a more friendly island than most.

I love England and will always have a home there...but I spend more time in Lanzarote and love the way of life and now have more friends there than in UK.

I don't have any problems with all the different people, but I just wish they would be more English and at least learn the language and make an effort..I learnt Spanish as I did not want to take advantage and presume and I enjoyed it. Same when I lived in France..I made the effort and they accpeted me.

Date: July 30, 2007 11:15PM

Yes I do actually Pete as my shares are held of shore tax free in Gib. So the best thing for me is the relationship of Spain and UK. Really don't care about others Pete, learnt French and Spanish because I wanted to and enjoyed it.

And anyway I love being on a small Island and I love Lanzarote.

Nice to have you on here again Pete...been quite quiet recently.

Posted by: scotty ()
Date: July 31, 2007 02:35AM

My family took me to lanza in 2002 to help me revocer from a bad accident, and although i was still unable to drive a car etc i fell in love with the place, and my aches and pains didnt seem so bad, i wanted to go back to work in the uk but as i was retired by my firm due to my accident i couldnt get a job anywhere else, so i came here with the wife and kids, love the island, love what i do over here, love the weather and everything lanzarote offers (well nearly everything) A typical day in the uk would be working my nuts off (pre accident)getting home (in the dark) watching eastenders, reading a book to the kids and going to bed, here i get up when i want, kids finish school early aft noon and then have quality time, i do my radio show, grab some rays, and sometimes do some djing at night-times
Even my divorce seemed to go through in a chilled kinda way(til i saw the bill)
Ive english,scotish,welsh,irish,spanish,german,morrocan,and lots of indian mates and its all good, could never go back to live in the uk, although i cant watch the mighty gillingham fc as much as i used to

Date: July 31, 2007 09:49AM

My point is that once people start quoting immigration as a reason for leaving then they are filthy stinking hypocrites of the worst kind!!!

Britain has always been a nation of immigrants, through out the ages we have opened our arms to the misfits of Europe - many times to piss off our French and Spanish neighbours. It is no worse or no better now. It will be all change in another 10 years time depending on the economics and politics of the world.

I personally think it makes the UK a better place not worse.

And the irony of becoming an immigrant themselves is obviously lost....

Personally I doubt I will ever up sticks and leave the UK - I will def spend more time in Lanza but prefer more of a mobile lifestyle say spending 2 months at a time in anyone place.

Is the UK more expensive? It depends what you earn I suppose!! I don't find it too bad personally and I live in London.

Date: July 31, 2007 12:15PM

You read about it in the papers?!

But isn't it a bit extreme to relocate your entire family based on the editorial policy of a newspaper?

Wouldn't it be cheaper to move to a different part of the UK?

Date: July 31, 2007 01:07PM

I live in the second most deprived borough in the UK - now if I had kids things would probably be different - for a start I don't won't any child of mine speaking with a london accent..... but thats another story, however i do want them brought up in a multicultural environment so that being diffenrent is normal... going of on a tangent again ok...

If you know anything about the press you will realise that there are various agendas at play - drugs, gangland shootings and the like have been happening for the last 30 years but hardly get reported - currently and especially in London black on black killings are the same level as they have always been just the press are making a huge deal about it.

Make sure you are leaving the UK for the right reasons and that you are equipped with the right skills.

Also do remember - the moroccans and algerians are the largest immigrant population in Lanza, are blamed rightly or wrongly for most of the crime, tend to be muslim and its a lot easier to travel from Morroco to Lanza than to the UK......

Maybe you will have to move from Lanza in 10 years time....

Date: July 31, 2007 02:20PM

Alan please stop saying i am right - its getting quite embarassing....

Date: July 31, 2007 02:20PM

Alan please stop saying i am right - its getting quite embarassing....

Date: July 31, 2007 03:01PM

Where do you live out of interest Sara?

I would live nowhere else than the UK - will always be home to me! I love crisp november mornings, love snow etc. What I do hate in London is the sweaty oppressive damp heat we get which is minging!

Read on the lanza.com site people just moaning about the weather - weather in UK is great - its seasonal! I would get bored if it was the same everyday - we're English - talking about the weather is what binds us together!

UK summers have been superb - couple of weeks of rain and everyone forgets that.

I remember the two big heatwaves in Lanza in 2004 and 2005 - 2 weeks when the temp didn't drop below 100F. Even at night. Just couldn't escape from it!

Also Lanza can be utterly miserable in Jan, Feb March if the weather isn't sunny. Nothing to do, no central heating etc - if the sun isn't out there isn't a huge amount going for it - that sounds harsh but is my opinion!

Date: July 31, 2007 03:19PM

My grand parents spent the winters in Lanza for their health like most of the expat communitiy.

I went to school in worcestershire and loved it - yes brum is a dump in parts but easy to get away from it all - spent many weekends wandering around the Wrekin, or climbing the Worcestershire Beacon and British Camp - great area for exploring the country - top pubs too.

Now that is one thing I could never part with - pubs!! I don't care how cheap booze is in Lanza - you cannot replicate a traditional english country pub!

Date: July 31, 2007 03:53PM

Marbella is rather expensive I seem to remember.

So what will you do for work?

Date: July 31, 2007 04:16PM

I went to see a friend of mine from Lanzarote who lives in Birmingham and in fact is a muslim and orgigionally from Iran...He took me to Moseley to shock me and he did. Bloody disgrace and they want us to all be muslim and they want to rule the world..no way. I live in Shepherds Bush, see all types, lots of evening fun with a weekly beating or stabbing. But when you go to Mosley you get a wake up call as to what is really going on..they do not want to integrate one bit...and this was my friend a muslin warning me.

Quite an eye opener.

Posted by: Elle1971 ()
Date: July 31, 2007 06:52PM

Jane - it's perfect time for you now. Grab yourself some "me" time - and make them save their pennies for air fares!

Elle xx

Posted by: Sally-Ann ()
Date: July 31, 2007 09:36PM

I lived in Worcestershire and worked in Birmingham.. Moseley being one of my areas. I was a lettings Manager for a large Estate Agency based in Worcestershire (Robert Oulsnams for those of you from the area). One of my scariest moments was going to a flat to check out tenants to find that it had been used as a Brothel.. the door was ajar and when I tentatively went inside the mess was unreal, not only needles but condoms etc ... all over the place. While I was in there an open top car pulled up with the music blaring you know the sort, base so high it was trembling.. out jumped as many Asian youths as you could fit into a small car, plus some.

The community door was shut luckily and I quickly slammed the front door locking myself in. They were banging on the windows threatening me and swearing... I told them to F off I was ringing the police, very professional I know but it shocked them enough to back off a bit ( I do have a hard outer shell if crossed as some will know) I rang the police and the girl in the flat accross the corridor took me inside untill they arrived.

That just about finished me ... that and the constant abuse from unreasonable landlords and tenants.. the threats etc.. and my agency was one of the best atthe time !!!

I never backed down and usually won the argument with diplomacy and common sense (I am trained in that type of thing from working in social housing) but got sick of the constant battles and seeing members of my staff reduced to tears by complete ar**holes.

Got sick of the constant 9 - 5 battles... so when I found out something I would rather have not about my ex husband I ran away to the last place I went on holiday.

And here I am.. I would not change my life style for anything I work hard and play hard I have everything I could want and if I dont have it I work harder till I get it.

I miss the UK countryside, I miss my horse, I miss cold winter evenings and frosty mornings but not enough to return. One week back in the UK I am usually so homesick I cannot wait to come home, in Novemeber I was so bad after 2 days I was looking for flights back on the Sunday.. I stayed had a good time caught up with some mates but boy was I glad to get back on that plane.

My mother was dead against me coming here but now she tells everyone about her daughter in Lanzarote,about my work, and speaking Spanish (badly but she doesnt know that lol).. she couldnt be prouder and I couldnt be happier

Posted by: Elle1971 ()
Date: August 01, 2007 12:30AM

Me mate Sal rocks!

Posted by: Sally-Ann ()
Date: August 01, 2007 01:03AM

I'm blushing now

xxxxx

Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

LanzaroteIsland.com is not responsible for the content of the messages on this forum. Comments posted are owned by the person that posts them and we do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message. The messages express the views of the author of the message, not the views of LanzaroteIsland.com.

Lanzarote forum by Phorum