LanzaroteIsland.com The more complete leisure and tourism guide about lanzarote
Twitter Facebook YouTube rss feed

Home > Forum about Lanzarote

Forum about Lanzarote

Forums: Lanzarote | Miscellanea | Work | old forum

Register

Lanzarote Forum

Opinions, questions and advice about accommodation, tourism, leisure and anything you may need in Lanzarote. 
Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Lanza top tips....
Posted by: Will2 ()
Date: August 09, 2007 10:15AM

Well as its a bit of a slow news day.....

Lets create a top tips cut out and keep thread that could be vaguely useful.
Lets try and keep it vaguely non contraversial and purely Lanza related or getting to Lanza.... and any recomendations for english breakfasts, chinese and indian restaurants will be edited out!!!!!

1) If you are flying from Gatwick to enjoy an Oasis of pre holiday calm and you aren't some business traveller lounge type try Chez Gerrard at Gatwick. Up the stairs top left and great views of the runways. Steak frites to die for.

2) The beaches collectively known as the Playas papagayo are awesome but finding the best one is difficult as there are 7 - all differently named!! For the horse shoe cove one which is on all the post cards follow the signs for the Playa Papagayo.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lanza top tips....
Posted by: scotty ()
Date: August 09, 2007 12:17PM

Get to gatwick, grub at mcdonalds, beer in wetherspoons, chinese buffet next to the sports bar along the main strip in pdc, then treat yourself to an indian the next day at steves balti house in matagorda lol
Am almost sorry will

Date: August 09, 2007 12:42PM

Definitely a slow news day!

Date: August 10, 2007 10:37AM

... but surely not hertz or avis as you pay double....!

Generally found moules marieniere only adequate or disappointing ever since visiting little restaurnants and cafes in the BOulogne coastal region.

Date: August 10, 2007 12:53PM

Must admit never had the moules in Lanza - they are flown in and I much prefer the little creamy tasting ones off the northern french coast.

But might give it ago next time - its just that after puntillas, lapas and calamari no space left!

Posted by: Elle1971 ()
Date: August 10, 2007 01:20PM

What are puntillas Will? I love lapas and calamari! grinning smiley

My tips:
1). "Avon Skin So Soft - helps to keep those mozzies at bay!
2). If staying in Playa Blanca - and you like your sports and/or cocktails. Get a discount voucher for the Wax Bar from his website. www.waxbars.com
3). If travelling up to Famara from Playa Blanca... take the turning just after Uga to go through La Geria. Much quicker - with stunning scenery.

Lol @ Scotty! tongue sticking out smiley

Elle xx

Date: August 10, 2007 03:24PM

Don't know about delivering car to accomodation.

My info was that majority of mussels were flown in from indian ocean - these are the really big ones. But will check when am out there.

Lapas are in bit hit and miss I've found!

Puntillas are my favourite of all!! Baby squid, deep fried! Mmmmm! About 1/2 an inch long really are my fave!

Date: August 11, 2007 03:27PM

Yes Tony - it's a really good road now.

We're off up there tomorrow too. But Gary at "The Lighthouse Cafe" in PLaya Blanca has just shown us another waytoo - up through Timafaya - and turn right at Tinajo. Will let you know how we get on.

Elle xx

Date: August 12, 2007 12:58PM

Hi Josie. No it's in the row of shops at Faro Park. Next door to The Snug. We found it a couple of months back... and often nip in for a cooked breakfast.

Will look out for mini aircraft... the boys will like that.

Date: August 14, 2007 01:21PM

Flash - the Rubimar apartments are at the back of the Rubicon Marina Shopping centre. They look nice enough from the outside, but I haven't been in. People say to only stay there as self catering, or B&B. Apparently the food leaves a little to be desired. There's also not much to do inside the complex.

Upside? It's on the doorstep of the Marina, whch has lots of bars and restaurants, as you know. If your pals are merely using it as a base... then yes, it's fine. But if they're planning to spend all their time at the hotel, Then we'd suggest elsewhere is best.

Here are some reviews.

[www.holidaywatchdog.com]

Elle xx

Date: August 15, 2007 09:32AM

Thats a good call Josie - first thing in the morning - climb the Red Mountain - takes about 30 mins or 1 hour if you walk all the way round the crater. View is superb! Best to take some water as is thirsty work!

Date: August 15, 2007 12:05PM

MontaƱa Roja is wonderful! It was a bit too windt for us to walk round the whole crater when we did it... but the views were spectacular. Loved the names with the rocks too - which was a complete surprise. Alan took some photos whilst we were up there - will have to get him to post some.

Elle xx

Date: August 15, 2007 01:01PM

Excellent - am agreeing with myself!

Am booked in for a couple of nights at the Villa Lola y Juan in Haria for a bit of a change of scene in our second week so will report back!

Romantica is just a bit of an institution for us dating back 20 odd years! Back in the days when there was no main street - just a track, there was no marina even thought and the only restaurants pretty much were pedros and romantica - it had a view of the sea then too!

Bodega - I would pop in for lunch to check out the scene and to book to.

Date: August 15, 2007 05:10PM

Pedro's old restaurant was about 10 metres further along, was inside and felt like you were eating in a cellar. Was constantly in dispute with his landlord. Finally built his current place approx 7 or 8 years ago which took an absolute age but is a gorgeous restaurant now.

Bodega - the trick is not to go to early as they sometime whizz the food through and you are out in an hour! Its a family run place and the father is a a right smoothie to the middle aged ladies....!

Yes prob the most expensive meal of the holiday but as have said before the wine is different than the usual and quality of ingredients blows me away everytime.

Date: August 15, 2007 06:18PM

Lol Pete!

Haven't been to either yet!

grinning smiley

Date: August 15, 2007 07:33PM

I know Pete (or should I say "Victor"winking smiley - appalling isn't it? They're on the list, but we're saving them for special occasions. Got a good list going now.

Next Tip:

If nipping over to Fuerteventura during your stay in Lanzarote... just book singles, not returns. Then you have the flexibility to come back when you want, instead of being tied to one company.

Date: August 15, 2007 08:45PM

Don't be pedantic Pete. Or maybe it's Pete-antic! tongue sticking out smiley

For most, Lanzarote is still a place to visit rather than a home, and they eat out regularly when here (I'm guessing by previous posts you've made). For us, this is a place to live... and although we could eat out every night - you can have too much of a good thing, and then you do't appreciate it. So we treat eating out as more of a rarity - then we appreciate it all the more.

Wine however is not a rarity... and I'm off to the fridge to see what we've got in. Alan's been to get some.

Now stop trying to be antagonistic, and pour yourself a large one. grinning smiley

Elle xx

Date: August 15, 2007 10:38PM

Absolutely right CG. There are places where we go regularly... but for those extra special occasions... we save them for the (short) list that we work through.

Yes Pete... we did out eat regularly in the UK - but again... we saved those extra special places for extra special treats. Believe it or not, there's a couple of posts from me on English forums recommending exactly those kind of places (mind you, it's Portsmouth... so don't expect 5 star all the time lol).

Can't stand Sauvignon normally, although the Aussie ones can be okay... but each to their own. Personally I LOVE Pinot Grigio... and have done since before it became popular. We can get it here, at similar prices to the UK... but I'm quite getting into the Spanish vinos these days. Had a couple of botles of PG when I was in the UK a few weeks back - which was lovely. I can't drink red. As fantastic as many reds are (and no, I don't mean Southampton, Man U, or Liverpoolplayers - I only do blues with footie!) it just doesn't agree with me. I'll stick to white. My first drink of wine was Liebfraumilch as child... which quite frankly put me off for quite some time! Yeughh! Needless to say we're enjoying playing catch up!

So what is bocanegra then Josie? Hmmm... ultimate question. We'll ask our Spanish friends who are ove tomorrow evening for dinner.

Nunite all - am off to finish sipping chilled vino in another balmy (not BARMY... ok so maybe it is) evening by the pool in Playa Blanca. tongue sticking out smiley

Elle xx

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/15/2007 10:44PM by Elle1971.

Date: August 16, 2007 12:04PM

I love all wine - and enjoy discoverying new ones!!

When in Tuscany hit the Chianti in a big way! Was stunning! Had cracking lunch once in a monastery on top of a mountain and all the had on the wine list was Chianti from 2002 to 1960s! Price got a little scary!

Some cracking reislings around at the moment too.

Pete - I think you will find that the long term residents, over time eat out less and less. As there are only limited places to go - PB prob only 10 places as a local you would ever consider after ignoring the tourist traps.

Apparently have heard that the hiperdino lot who have taken over Vivos have really reduced the wine section and the fresh fruit and veg?

Any comments? Think I will be going to the greengrocer by the church in PB this time but meat and fish will still be ex-Vivos?

Re. Bocanegra I imagine there is no direct english comparison.

Date: August 16, 2007 02:23PM

Wolf Blass is over priced pee with a huge marketing budget!!!

Even the decent Aussie brands like Lindemans has gone down hill recently.

Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

LanzaroteIsland.com is not responsible for the content of the messages on this forum. Comments posted are owned by the person that posts them and we do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message. The messages express the views of the author of the message, not the views of LanzaroteIsland.com.

Lanzarote forum by Phorum