Home > Forum about Lanzarote

Forum about Lanzarote

Forums: Lanzarote | Miscellanea | Work | old forum

Register

Lanzarote Forum

Aluminium Windows
Posted by: smiffy ()
Date: September 18, 2007 03:09PM

I am wondering if anyone can recommend a company (or ones to avoid) to replace an old wooden window frame with a new Aluminium replacement in my apartment in PDC.I noticed a shop opposite Spenders Bar on the road leading up to the Cinco Plaza Appts.
As my Spanish is only of an intermediate level I would prefer someone who speaks English.
Many thanks for all replies
Smiffy

Re: Aluminium Windows
Posted by: s5hez ()
Date: September 18, 2007 07:34PM

Hi, I used P S Aluminium in PDC. Its an English bloke called Paul and our price included removing and taking away the old ones ( strange but we were quoted for windows only by one place where you had to have them removed and the holes ready!)

We went for standard windows with louvre shutters and paid a bit more to have mosquito blinds fitted.

I feel we got good quality for the price we paid. We could have paid a lot more for top of the range windows but at the end of the day mine is a holiday apartment and I just wanted to tidy it up and make it secure.

If we were replacing them again I would not hesitate to use P C Aluminium again.

Consider the suitability of the type of windows you choose for your apartnent though.. I wish I had had the windows that open fully but also tilt open a few inches and then lock, great for keeping the apartment ventilated when you are away and totally secure if you have shutters also.

Also consider if you have shutters that if you are in an upstairs apartment and the shutters clip back to the wall you need to be able to reach out and pull them back in, we had catches fitted at the end of the shutters and the next trip's job is to replace the catches with some that sit right at the hinge side as I cannot close the shutters once they are opened!

Th thing I found really handy was that Paul accepted a deposit, did the job at an agreed time while we were between trips and when we came back everything was done and cleared away and we just had to settle up with him.

Hope this helps.

Date: September 19, 2007 09:55AM

Hi s5hez, thanks for the response. P S Aluminium sounds just what I am looking fo. Do you happen to know their whereabouts in PDC or do you have a contact number? Mine too is a holiday apartment just for my use & the old wooden frame has become an eyesore.
I am back in October so I could contact PS Aluminium whilst I am over.

Many thanks for your help.

Kind regards
Smiffy

Posted by: Will2 ()
Date: September 19, 2007 10:48AM

Can't you just restore the wooden frame? Would look far nicer in the long term surely? Tho may be a little more costly - but you want to think of the adverse value may have to your flat.

Also aluminium conducts heat much more than wood.

Posted by: s5hez ()
Date: September 19, 2007 05:48PM

I agree the wood looks nice if you have the time to look after it properly, unfortunately we decided we didn't with it being a holiday home, we also wanted the shutters for extra security.

We kept with brown to keep in with the surrounding windows. We did keep the balcony front and pergola in wood, spent a fortune getting it rubbed down and stained and less than 6 mths later it needs doing again, the birds love to do their business on it and as we are not there to wipe it down daily their mess eats into the stain.

I pass a gorgeous apartment each time i'm driving to mine and its all carved curved wood, looks fantastic and thats what i'm having on my permenant place one day but for now i'm more than happy with the aluminium ones. Overall my windows were so bad that I must have increased the apartments value by at least the cost of the windows.

P S Aluminium advertise in the Gazette, tel no's: 928 514 609 mob: 649 559 892, might have more luck with the mobile.

Posted by: Will2 ()
Date: September 19, 2007 07:12PM

Try a shot gun? Or a cat?

Posted by: Elle1971 ()
Date: September 19, 2007 07:15PM

Damn Will... you beat me to it!

Sorry Cath - I don't have any suggestions for whilst you're not there. Mike at Estupendo has been asking the same thing about the pigeons that have developed a liking for his place.

We suggested a water pistol... but it's a bit hard to fire that if you're not about. tell you what. pay me - and I'll sit on your balcony sipping cool drinks, and sunning myself... whilst squirting anything that comes near! grinning smiley

Posted by: sirharry ()
Date: September 19, 2007 07:36PM

Cat.....or yes something thing that glares.

Harry

Date: September 19, 2007 11:15PM

Always white for me Cath. I love red, but just one glass can give me a bad head the following day. Shame... I miss it!

Elle xx

Date: September 20, 2007 12:46AM

She will when I print it out for her in November!!!! Ha ha ha... women of the world unite! grinning smileygrinning smileygrinning smileygrinning smiley

Date: September 20, 2007 12:48AM

Yes, Alan... but it look awful!!!

Erm... methinks this conversation should perhaps move over to Miscellanea as poor Smiffy's thread has been hijacked. So I'll see you all over there.

Elle xx

Date: September 20, 2007 09:37AM

YOu don't have to move across to another forum I am also interested in ways of keeping collared doves from crapping on my terrace & balcony rails, whilst away.

Smiffy

Date: September 20, 2007 02:50PM

Lol Smiffy - thanks for being understanding. It's not a different forum as such, just a different list wihin this site. You'll find the link to it at the top of the message list. Don't mean to teach you to suck eggs, so apologies if you knew what I meant ;-)

Yes Tracey. I think it looks awful... but hey, if it's stopping them from sraping off bird poo... then there's something in it.

Elle xx

Posted by: biffa ()
Date: September 20, 2007 04:04PM

Getting back to the subject. PS aluminium IS opposite Spenders bar on Calle enzuelo, the guy who owns it is Paul Shepard and he's english.

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

LanzaroteIsland.com is not responsible for the content of the messages on this forum. Comments posted are owned by the person that posts them and we do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message. The messages express the views of the author of the message, not the views of LanzaroteIsland.com.

Lanzarote forum by Phorum