Home > Forum about Lanzarote

Forum about Lanzarote

Forums: Lanzarote | Miscellanea | Work | old forum

Register

Lanzarote Forum

Re: Thieving Scumbags!!
Posted by: s5hez ()
Date: October 30, 2007 06:40PM

My god Will, 60 a day, well done for giving it up!!

I think you got the wrong impression of me, when I said I bought 1000 fags I did'nt say these would last me 4 months.. I don't class myself as a heavy smoker, 10 a day at the most. I only go over this if i'm having a boozy night out which is on average once a month and somehow a beer just takes so much better with a ciggie, i's sure you secretly agree with me on that one, look around the pub at the ones gazing into space with a smile on their face and they are almost guaranteed to be the ex-smokers and thats what they are thinking about.

10 a day is still 10 too many but for now i'm happy smiling smiley

Alan, The tele was bad luck but I know what you mean about about being a long way away, the first thing we sorted out was the windows, locking shutters and locking windows made me feel better and we then made sure we were fully insured.Also feel a bit better in an upstairs apartment, the only way my sofa's are coming out is over the balcony and they would have to carry things down the steps in full view of the main street. Apart from this there is not a lot you can do, if someone wants what you have they will find a way.

It's the same everywhere so apart from being careful you just have to hope you are lucky and it does not happen to you. When i'm in UK I worry about my place in Lanza and when i'm in Lanza I worry about my place in UK..

Got to learn to follow some of my own advise now when i'm out and about, sat back and realised just how daft we are, especially on the beach and in the cars. Looking back my beach bag had in it mobile, expensive watch, taken off the protect it from sand! purse with credit card and ALL my money, MP3, sunglasses and lots more. Keep it all 'safely' tucked away in the bag and then what do we do.. go swimming and leave the lot in the middle of the beach for anyone to take.. luckily nobody ever has but I now know it was just a matter of time. No More.. 5 euro max and nothing else of any value.

Posted by: sirharry ()
Date: October 31, 2007 03:42PM

I am afraid bars on windows and doors work a treat...and yes the lovely morrocians tend to be more oportunists.

Harry

Date: November 02, 2007 01:34PM

Have a back door...or a lock on the grill that can be opened from the inside.

Harry

Date: November 02, 2007 08:45PM

Even better idea from pete.

Harry

Date: November 04, 2007 11:08AM

wire the door and windows to the mains smiling smiley

Harry

Posted by: Lynne ()
Date: December 26, 2007 05:12PM

Sorry to hear your news Alan.

We have a welder that helps us out at Sara from time to tome. I know he is really busy at the moment with extra security grills etc so it looks like you are not alone.

Let me know if you want his number. He donates his work at SARA so I would like to return the favour and put some work his way. He has a good work reputation so it would be worth getting a quote from him at least.

Lynne

Posted by: Will2 ()
Date: December 27, 2007 01:16PM

Alarm waste of time really.

I imagine you were done by the same people as last time - they know that insurance will replace like for like so they just wait for you to claim. 99% that they are English too.

The only thing you can do is make it as hard as possible for them to get in - make them choose somewhere easier and less difficult.

There is crime in Lanzarote despite what others say.

People say they are scared on the streets of the UK - well it really depends where you live!! Have just had 4 days up north involving late nights wandering home and never felt threatened.

However have wandered down a few back alleys in PDC in the early hours and turned round pretty sharpish. Its all about perception - and what newspaper you read!!!!!!!! Daily Mail readers rarely venture out at night apparently...

All i can say is alan...

Is a plasma needed? If its purely a holiday home you need to get the right balance between having it nice for you but unattractive to criminals.

All we have is decent but old stereo and a few paintings - which aren't worth anything to the scrotes doing the nicking.

Posted by: s5hez ()
Date: December 27, 2007 09:08PM

Hi Alan,

Sorry to hear about your TV.I also noticed the graffiti on our last visit and it is very off putting.

When I chose my place I went for an upstairs apartment with security in mind hoping that it would put off the thieves, I also chose not to rent it out thinking the less people who access the inside the better.

Having done at least 6 trips over last year, and getting to know Lanzarote better I still think it is the place for me in the overall plan, PDC is perfect for the time being as I love going from Airport to balcony in 10 mins but long term I think I will consider different areas.

I don't know if I put it in my original post but one interesting comment at PDC police station was made when I tried to report the car breakin.. they said I had to report it to Teguise as Orzola was in that area but that I would have to pay for a translator, they said the translator was only free in PDC because of the high crime rate !!!

That makes you think.

Posted by: Will2 ()
Date: December 28, 2007 11:48AM

Just don't stay in PDC! Simple!

The bigger the settlement the higher the crime rate - the same the world over.

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

LanzaroteIsland.com is not responsible for the content of the messages on this forum. Comments posted are owned by the person that posts them and we do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message. The messages express the views of the author of the message, not the views of LanzaroteIsland.com.

Lanzarote forum by Phorum