LanzaroteIsland.com The more complete leisure and tourism guide about lanzarote
Twitter Facebook YouTube rss feed

Home > Forum about Lanzarote

Forum about Lanzarote

Forums: Lanzarote | Miscellanea | Work | old forum

Register

Lanzarote Forum

Opinions, questions and advice about accommodation, tourism, leisure and anything you may need in Lanzarote. 
Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Visitor Numbers
Posted by: pete ()
Date: October 23, 2007 01:37PM

From ASOLAN
"The retraction of foreign tourism suffered during the first half of 2007, indicates that the decline in Tenerife during this period, with a fall of 5.91%, and in Lanzarote, with a 5.11% fewer visitors"

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Visitor Numbers
Posted by: Estupendo Mike ()
Date: October 23, 2007 02:10PM

A question Pete: Do you spend a lot of time trawling for negative stuff about Lanzarote on the web? And assuming the answer is yes, why?

Note to all - key word in the Asolan quote is "Foreign". As many have pointed out on here, the market from the peninsular is significantly up on last year.

Posted by: Flash ()
Date: October 23, 2007 02:18PM

A lot of people who have been recently are saying the 'feeling' is that it's busier. That's how it seemed to us compared to last October.

Have you been recently Pete, if so what was your 'feeling'

Date: October 23, 2007 02:20PM

No.
It certainly shows why so many "foreign" owned bars, etc., are struggling or closed.
Bet the agents who are selling don't like such statistics being put about?

Date: October 23, 2007 02:41PM

Yes, made a few visits this year to PB, as normal, but not as frequent.
Tend to go on the "quieter" times, except for Xmas and did not find it noticeably quieter.
Arrecife if anything did seem to be busier.

Posted by: Estupendo Mike ()
Date: October 23, 2007 02:43PM

I imagine the agents who sell only to foreigners are finding the market more competitive, although at the end of the day we're talking about only a 5.11% reduction in the opportunity to do business. Most of the switched on agents will have more than made up for this with activity in the booming Spanish sector.

Personally, I have no problem in seeing these kind of stats published as I think they always generate interesting debate, which is why I tend to step into them!

It does, however, strike me that so many of your posts are in this kind of negative vein, and I wondered why.

Posted by: Will2 ()
Date: October 23, 2007 02:44PM

So basically your own experiences go against the figures you produce?!!!

Date: October 23, 2007 02:47PM

You can't shoot the messenger Will winking smiley

It's just that the message isn't the complete story. It would be interesting to see overall visitor numbers rather than just 'foreigners'.

Date: October 23, 2007 02:53PM

"So basically your own experiences go against the figures you produce?!!!"
True, but perhaps when and where I frequent aren't a typical example and it is a personal observation not a statistic.
Could be some element of truth in the "facts" though, seeing so many "foreign" establishments are for sale.
Could be that the Spanish only go where it is good!!!
Alternatively, we could ignore the statistics and give "agents speak", whereby, the bar we have for sale has a good and busy trade of Brits and located in Lanzarote which visitor figures are increasing.
Perhaps that will now please?
Regarding actual visitor number, try the Aena site for information.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2007 02:54PM by pete.

Date: October 23, 2007 02:58PM

PS is that your translation of ASOLAN from the spanish or is there someone at ASOLAN who has the same distant grasp of English syntax as you Pete?

Date: October 23, 2007 03:02PM

"Could be that the Spanish only go where it is good!!!"

Nope that is categorically wrong! You get the same demographic split of spaniards as you do germans as you do irish as you do brits. Good and bad.

Date: October 23, 2007 03:14PM

Well Pete if I'm reading Aena correctly (my Spanish is wobbly)

2004 passengers up by 2.4%
2005 passengers same as 2004
2006 passengers up 2.9%

July 2007 same as July 2006
August 2007 down 1.7% on 2006
September 2007 up 2% on 2006

There's lies, damn lies and statistics but it looks to me as if, on the whole, visitor numbers are on the upside, as long as you assume as many locals leave as arrive and that ferry numbers don't make a big difference.

Posted by: pastinaca ()
Date: October 23, 2007 03:35PM

Asolan's figures don't include a large, and increasingly important, amount of independent travellers.

Date: October 23, 2007 03:44PM

I think that ASOLAN figures are possibly based on the hotel and REGISTERED villa and apartment occupations, but having seen the scores of ads for properties to rent, even for peak times, don't know if the unregistered would help figures that much.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2007 03:46PM by pete.

Date: October 23, 2007 03:53PM

Well I have never been included in those figures on that basis then!

Surely there are records from the airport showing all visitors? Or are those the ones flash has posted?!

Date: October 23, 2007 04:09PM

I think those are the ones I posted, they are based on the total numbers of arrivals and departures, so assuming pretty much as many people leave as arrive then they are probably a better indication of actual visitor numbers.

And like you I would appear in these, but not the former.

So it doesn't look like such a bad time to open that little bar, as long as you sell red wine and tapas instead of beer and sausages.

Posted by: Oz ()
Date: October 23, 2007 04:54PM

As I said in my 'back again' thread, it definitely appeared busier than last October, this March and June. Could be a one off or as the old saying goes - One swallow doesn't make a Spring.
It may be that PDC was busier or the first couple of weeks in October this year were well booked. Time will tell.

Posted by: Josie ()
Date: October 23, 2007 11:07PM

Lots more scheduled flights this year and the new Easyjet service from Madrid. Looks like a different traveller mix which can only be good for the island as package tourists tend to go to the all inclusives or stay close to their accommodation.

Waits to duck before flak lands ...

Josie xx

Posted by: Alan ()
Date: October 23, 2007 11:15PM

The two leg flights are looking the way to go I´m afraid. Especially for residents. Almost booked one tonight, purely on cost - but for some reason the Air Europa site didn´t want to take my booking! So I had to rethink. Glad I did, got flights early December return, wait for it CG - to EMA - 116 quid.

Date: October 24, 2007 11:09AM

Oh god no Alan!! How much do you value your time? 6 and a half hours is the quickest you will do it in plus the hassle of changing flights, the extra chances of it being late, luggage going awol.......

Next thing you will be saying you are going via Madrid and Ace Ventura and the ferry....

Pages: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

LanzaroteIsland.com is not responsible for the content of the messages on this forum. Comments posted are owned by the person that posts them and we do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message. The messages express the views of the author of the message, not the views of LanzaroteIsland.com.

Lanzarote forum by Phorum