LanzaroteIsland.com The more complete leisure and tourism guide about lanzarote
Twitter Facebook YouTube rss feed

Home > Forum about Lanzarote

Forum about Lanzarote

Forums: Lanzarote | Miscellanea | Work | old forum

Register

Lanzarote Forum

Opinions, questions and advice about accommodation, tourism, leisure and anything you may need in Lanzarote. 
Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Visitor Numbers
Posted by: stuartp ()
Date: October 24, 2007 12:12PM

I am with you on that one Will as a leisure visitor but if travelling light and without kids I can see the benefit for a resident who has to dive back to blighty for some business.

Would love to believe vistors numbers are improving but how much do you think the recent busy spell may have been as a result of our bobbins summer and people taking what they regard as a late summer break rather than winter sun?

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Flash ()
Date: October 24, 2007 12:26PM

You might have a good point there Stuart, but if you look at the Aena figures it does look like a trend, and interestingly the only fall in visitor numbers was August this year. School Holiday flight prices could possibly be responsible for that, an interesting one for the budget airlines to look at, maybe they got the pricing a bit wrong.

Posted by: Will2 ()
Date: October 24, 2007 01:28PM

But if you are are an airline flash what is wrong or right?

This year there were less flights, but I imagine there load capacity was way up in the 90% range and the profit per passenger would have been higher than normal surely?

Posted by: Alan ()
Date: October 24, 2007 01:46PM

Both flights are direct Will. Luckily.

I did consider via Dublin though as until I found the one I booked the return flight was insanely cheaper. I would consider Dublin or Madrid for a significant saving. But would never even think about the possibility of EMA to Dublin to Fuerta via ferry. Not a chance...

Time is money of course, but that why we have laptops smiling smiley

Will2 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Oh god no Alan!! How much do you value your time?
> 6 and a half hours is the quickest you will do it
> in plus the hassle of changing flights, the extra
> chances of it being late, luggage going
> awol.......
>
> Next thing you will be saying you are going via
> Madrid and Ace Ventura and the ferry....

Date: October 24, 2007 01:51PM

You nearly have a very good point there Will, but:

2006 6.4% increase in operations on 2005

July 7.4% increase in operations on previous July
August 1.1% increase in operations on previous August
Sept 5.3% increase in operations on previous Sept

I'm taking an operation as being a flight as it's quoted alongside passenger figures.

So overall I'd still say there is a trend for more people and more flights, which backs up the gut feel. I'd also guess that the drop in passenger numbers for August does coincide with all the bitching on this and other forums about the prices in school holidays.

The fact that so many English bars in places like PDC are suffering maybe hints that they're suffering from a combination o fthe AI's and maybe they're not pitching at the rght people any more.

Date: October 24, 2007 06:44PM

Sounds fair enough! May experience was that there were less flights going out this year - seemed less options anyway. Plus twice we got bumped from a 6pm return to the 11pm - which was jammed suggesting they had cut a flight.

But that is just 1 personal experience against thousand flights!

Posted by: Josie ()
Date: October 24, 2007 10:00PM

There are still loads more flights this christmas - but the prices are staying high - supply and demand?

And Will having done the PB-FUE-MAD-LHR thing I would definitely do it again if it suits and because I have a sad paperwork based job time some of the time spent on flights can be charged to clients until I get tempted by a G&T or nice glass of wine. Alternatively you get the chance to read all the papers which is great for a news junkie like me. Each to his own I say!

Josie x

Date: October 24, 2007 11:17PM

I was looking at flight prices last week with my son who was sat in England at the same time as me looking at the same pages on skyscanner and with the same date selection from Spain,. And guess what, from a Spanish IP address I was seeing different availablity. All that was showing on his screen were the expensive ones.

If you´re in the UK and have friends on the island you might find they can get you a better deal by getting them to place the booking for you.

Date: October 25, 2007 10:16AM

Speaking of prices, the amazing Mrs Flash booked for next Oct last night, Jet2.wotsit from Leeds Brad, hundred quid return, thank you very much were avin that.

Date: October 25, 2007 11:21AM

Each to their own indeed Josie!!

But as a 6 foot plus bloke i prefer to read the newspapers on the beach rather than rammed into economy with my knees rammed against chair in front!

Posted by: Oz ()
Date: October 25, 2007 02:29PM

Just looked at BA for our next October haul and they are running at £118 return inclusive of taxes. Slightly up on this year but still good from Gatwick.

Posted by: Estupendo Mike ()
Date: October 25, 2007 03:23PM

Not a criticism, but an observation. So many threads on here seem to develop into flight price discussions! Must be a message there for an airline to offer fixed, sensible priced flights. I would think most people would be happy to pay a little more than the cheapest flights without having to go through the hassle or stress of searching all over the place and then booking something and worrying that if they'd left it another day it might be cheaper still?

Posted by: pete ()
Date: October 25, 2007 03:55PM

My thoughts are that as with most things, you get what you pay for.
If you want convenience and times to suit your requirements, then you pay for it. If you are have to travel a hundred miles to an airport (often false economy), and fly out on a cattle truck, at times which are not suitable, of course you can get it cheap.
Still think that the price per mile is good value when compared to other travel facilities and options when travelling around UK.
Couple of thousand miles for £300 = 15p per mile. Taken a cab or train journey lately?
What is the fuel cost per mile for say a 2L car?

Posted by: Estupendo Mike ()
Date: October 25, 2007 07:13PM

I wonder how much it would cost to hire an exec jet to do the trip and if it would be worthwhile if you could get enough of you regular vistors together to do so.

Date: October 25, 2007 07:22PM

...or if there are enough people on the island with enough about them to get together and start 'ex-pat' airlines...! smiling smiley

Posted by: pete ()
Date: October 25, 2007 07:29PM

Oops, sorry.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/25/2007 07:40PM by pete.

Posted by: Josie ()
Date: October 25, 2007 10:49PM

Sorry Mike - my other half who knows about these things says an exec jet with less than about 12 seats is likely to cost about £1,000 each person each way!!!

...Still if one of us wins the lottery..

Josie x

Date: October 26, 2007 10:30AM

Thats not that unreasonable - people have paid £350 in August - £1000 isn't a huge amount more.

I would def consider it for a special occaision.

For example on the cost of getting married - would save about £10/£15 a head doing it in Lanza just on booze - so with the saving why not fly out on an exec jet!

Date: October 26, 2007 10:47AM

I'm up for it as long as I'm GUARANTEED not to get sat behind a 'recliner'

And no chavs on the flight.

Posted by: arvie ()
Date: October 26, 2007 12:28PM

'people have paid £350 in August - £1000 isn't a huge amount more.'
Like the idea, but isn't 185% extra not a huge amount more? or is my
calculator finger not working very well?

Pages: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

LanzaroteIsland.com is not responsible for the content of the messages on this forum. Comments posted are owned by the person that posts them and we do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message. The messages express the views of the author of the message, not the views of LanzaroteIsland.com.

Lanzarote forum by Phorum