LanzaroteIsland.com The more complete leisure and tourism guide about lanzarote
Twitter Facebook YouTube rss feed

Home > Forum about Lanzarote

Forum about Lanzarote

Forums: Lanzarote | Miscellanea | Work | old forum

Register

Lanzarote Forum

Opinions, questions and advice about accommodation, tourism, leisure and anything you may need in Lanzarote. 
Easyjet buys GB Airways...
Posted by: Will2 ()
Date: October 25, 2007 11:57AM

[www.telegraph.co.uk]

You heard it here..... second!!

This will be interesting as GB operates BA's flights to Lanza.

Nothing will change immediately but will be interesting to see how this works out!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Easyjet buys GB Airways...
Posted by: Estupendo Mike ()
Date: October 25, 2007 03:25PM

That sounds like bad news to me. On the (increasingly rare) trips back to UK, I've used BA in recent years as prices were sensible, but more importantly there's a decent amount of seat room and a free bar!

Date: October 25, 2007 04:59PM

Actually what it probably means is that Easyjet are buying GB to get their landing slots at Gatwick and prob won't continue a Lanza service. Will go shorter higher profit routes.

Posted by: tonyp ()
Date: October 25, 2007 06:21PM

BA have announced that they will opperate some of the routes currently operated by GB Airways. So there is hope of a BA service yet.

Agree with Will about landing slots.

Posted by: Josie ()
Date: October 25, 2007 10:43PM

My husband (ex BA now works for CAA) who walked in with this news tonight says that BA are selling off all their franchises and anything could happen to the Lanzarote route. The two possible scenarios are:

1. Easyjet operates the route under its usual fare structure which means bargains for early bookers.

2. BA operates the route which means a similar price structure to now and probably better punctuality as GB Airways are well known for being late.

Josie

Posted by: Josie ()
Date: October 26, 2007 11:27AM

This message has just arrived in my inbox from GB Airways:

Dear Customer,

We are pleased to inform you that GB Airways is to be acquired by easyJet PLC. The purchase is expected to be fully complete within the next four to six weeks.

From 30th March 2008, GB Airways will be integrated into easyJet's operation and will offer easyJet's product and service. Up until 30th March 2008, for the duration of the winter season, GB Airways will continue to operate as a British Airways franchise carrier. There will be no change to the GB Airways product, route network or schedule.

For more information on this acquisition please click here.

Already booked?

Customers who hold BA bookings on GB Airways flights between now and 29th March 2008 are totally unaffected. GB Airways will continue to fly its published schedule as a British Airways' franchise carrier until this date.

If you are booked to travel with GB Airways next summer, and the deal goes ahead, your flight will be the easyJet product not the GB Airways/British Airways product. For more details on this please visit easyJet.com. On completion of easyJet's purchase of GB Airways, easyJet will contact you with details about your new flight.

Posted by: sirharry ()
Date: October 26, 2007 04:22PM

Flew back from Malta yesterday and the crew on BA/GB Airways announced it and were well pissed off...and I mean well pissed off.

Could be good for us...but who knows...only time will tell.

Harry

Date: October 26, 2007 05:31PM

I bet the BA/GB crew are well pissed off! The unions have BA by the bollocks - whereas easyjet and ryanair don't even recognise the unions!!

No more cushy life!

Posted by: Oz ()
Date: October 26, 2007 09:39PM

Just a bit more info from Easy Jet on the following link :-

[easyjet.custhelp.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

LanzaroteIsland.com is not responsible for the content of the messages on this forum. Comments posted are owned by the person that posts them and we do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message. The messages express the views of the author of the message, not the views of LanzaroteIsland.com.

Lanzarote forum by Phorum