LanzaroteIsland.com The more complete leisure and tourism guide about lanzarote
Twitter Facebook YouTube rss feed

Home > Forum about Lanzarote

Forum about Lanzarote

Forums: Lanzarote | Miscellanea | Work | old forum

Register

Lanzarote Forum

Opinions, questions and advice about accommodation, tourism, leisure and anything you may need in Lanzarote. 
schools
Posted by: sonnie ()
Date: January 10, 2008 10:55PM

Hi i was wondering if someone who has both experience of sending their kids to English or Spanish school did they think was more beneficial for kids coming to live their.Mine are 11 and 6 and i know they want to come but are worried about school. and one more thing which out of the English private schools on the island did they think was the best with good facilities,and on average what is the cost per child per month.I'm very anxious and its one of my concerns i would be grateful for any advise.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: schools
Posted by: Will2 ()
Date: January 11, 2008 10:20AM

Well personally if I went to live in Spain and didn't give my kids the chance to become bilingual I would be accused of being a bad parent.

From what I have heard the spanish state schools are very good compared to their english comparison on average. Shouldn't be any problem converting to an English uni if they want to - some people seem to think Lanza is 3rd world for most things! It certainly isn't.

Posted by: Elle1971 ()
Date: January 14, 2008 11:15AM

Sonnie - the general consensus of opinion is that the kids settle really well into the state schools here (I don't have kiddies, so it's not a personal experience).

Re: English schools. Hopefully Hugh will spot this post. he pops in here occasionally, and has put his 15 year old daughter down that route - with great success. he should be able to advise you.

Elle xx

Posted by: sdawe9 ()
Date: February 05, 2008 05:57PM

I moved out here three years ago with my two children who were 10 and 6 then. I moved to Puerto Del Carmen so they went straight to the local state school. As there was a lot of English speaking children there they very quickly made friends and settled in however they never really integrated with the Spanish children.

After 1 year we moved to Tinajo and they went to the local Spanish school and there was only a handful of English Speaking children there but as they already had a basic understanding of the language they were able to converse and the local children there were fantastic. Two years on both of my children have integrated fully and are both much happier then they was in england. They both have plenty of Spanish speaking friends and have picked up the language themselves, enough to have complex conversations with adults and children in Spanish.

The first year both of the children were put into a year lower then they would of been in as they could concentrate on the language and we was told that they had to pass each subject at the end of the year in order for them to go to the next year.

They have both passed every year and my eldest child is in the last year of primary school and is learning French as well.

I never regretted sending them to an soley spanish speaking school as children adapt very quickly but going to the school in Puerto Del Carmen first was a good start as they had extra help from their friends.

I hope this helps if you need any more information please contact me.

Posted by: sonnie ()
Date: February 06, 2008 11:42PM

Hi thanks for all the info,what time do the kids in the english scool start,and are the fees exspensive.also is there any after school activites for them to do.
I'm hoping to get there for the term to start in Sept if i can sell my house soon.Is it possible that they take kids in the middle of a term if we can't get there in time.

Thanks.....

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

LanzaroteIsland.com is not responsible for the content of the messages on this forum. Comments posted are owned by the person that posts them and we do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message. The messages express the views of the author of the message, not the views of LanzaroteIsland.com.

Lanzarote forum by Phorum