Home > Forum about Lanzarote

Forum about Lanzarote

Forums: Lanzarote | Miscellanea | Work | old forum

Register

Lanzarote Forum

Tour for Matt
Posted by: Elle1971 ()
Date: March 06, 2008 09:16PM

As per your question Matt, the black beach at Las Salinas is really easy to find. Drive out of Playa Blanca, towards Yaiza... and follow the signs for El Golfo. The road will take you all the way around the salt plains (photo opps galore!) You will see the black beach at the end of the salt plains. Keep going past there... and as the road then takes you to the right, you'll see a car park on your left. Park up, and head down to the beach. The stones are right in front of you. If you're lucky, and catch it at low tide... you can clamber over the rocks on the right hand side and go looking in the rock pools. They're teeming with life.

Not sure if you've been to Los Hervideros & El Golfo - but if not... here you go.

Come out of the black beach car park, and turn left.... carry on along the road (whilst "oohing" and "ahhing" at the crashing waves on the sheer cliffs to your left) Actually... keep your eye on the road - it's a twisty one.

You'll come across a sign with "Los Hervideros" on it. Blink and you'll miss it though! Park up and follow everyone else. You can get into the rocks via twisting, steep paths, and look down to see the waves crashing up through the rocks. Just stunning. Not for people without a head for heights... but soooo worth it.

Ok. Come out of Los Hervideros, and turn left again. Keep following those signs to El Golfo until the road forces you to turn right, but where you see a jagged overhanging cliff in front of you, and a car park. Turn left off the road (it's actually straight on) and par up. Walk to the end of the car park, and follow the path round to the right. Keep going to the end of the path and you'll enter El Golfo's cove. Make sure you take your camera! This is where the green lagoon is.

Right... now you've done that - you'll be hungry and thirsty. So you can either hike up the cliff opposite you (not for the faint hearted)... or get back in the car. Turn left out of the car park... and just follow the road all the way round to El Golfo village. Park up - and choose any of the restaurants on the seafront. There's no menus... just make a choice of meat or fish for however many people. We ordered fish for 3 people. Out came a massive piled high platter with loads of fish on it... papas arrugas (Canarian potatoes), mojo sauce, and salad. Bl**dy lovely!

Have fun!

Re: Tour for Matt
Posted by: PB Matt ()
Date: March 06, 2008 09:34PM

Thank you Elle i can't wait to follow this tour. Any good bars in El golfo you can reccomend?

Matt.

Date: March 06, 2008 09:47PM

You're welcome Matt. It's a route we take quite often. I've never been to a bar in El Golfo... only restaurants... although we have sometimes just had a drink anyway. I wouldn't say one was any better than any others, but we've not tried them all. Maybe someone else can recommend? But any of the ones that are right on the front, with the outside terraces overlooking the sea, are great!

Enjoy!

Elle xx

Date: March 06, 2008 10:56PM

You're welcome Tracey. Your youngest will love the rock pools. There's one at the cove at El Golfo too. As you head towards the end of the path, you'll see a large rock to your left. It has a flat area, with cracks in it. Lots of tiny fish in there. Go careful near that edge though. Alan's Dad nearly gave me kittens in the summer!

Elle xx

Posted by: Will2 ()
Date: March 07, 2008 12:11PM

Golfo is not a "bar" place - in fact it is the most gorgeous tiny fishing village.

Personally i would avoid anywhere that looks like it cater for the coach tour market!
So in my opinion avoid the ones at the start of the village and also the very last one on the right! Have found the staff really pretentious and they can be really pushy. Although that place does seem to attract an older english market who want to have 3 courses and push the boat out!!

But that is not golfo for me - I want to sit out in the sun, look out over the atlantic and chill!

Foodwise - don't feel forced to have the ubiquitous lanzarote fresh fish superb that it is! We love just to run through the starters with a big salad - a selction of puntillas (super yummy deepfried baby squid), lapas (some sort of shell fish), gambas, padrons de piementos that sort of stuff! Gosh am salivating already!

Date: March 07, 2008 03:27PM

Have you done El Golfo at night yet Will? We haven't... but have heard that it is at it's best then. Glowing plankton in the waves etc.

Elle xx

PS: I neeeeeeeeeed puntillas! Lapas are fantastic (also good at Las Bodegon Tapas on the seafront at Playa Blanca)

Date: March 07, 2008 11:43PM

That'll be the wine Josie. You have been warned! I always do it in flip flops... without a problem! Pfft!

(Actually no - I stick to trainers these days lol. Not for Los Hervideros... but for the beaches... because that back sand don't 'arf get between the toes and irritate lol)

So upshot... yes, heed Josie's advice - no flip flops for this tour!

Elle xx

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

LanzaroteIsland.com is not responsible for the content of the messages on this forum. Comments posted are owned by the person that posts them and we do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message. The messages express the views of the author of the message, not the views of LanzaroteIsland.com.

Lanzarote forum by Phorum