LanzaroteIsland.com The more complete leisure and tourism guide about lanzarote
Twitter Facebook YouTube rss feed

Home > Forum about Lanzarote

Forum about Lanzarote

Forums: Lanzarote | Miscellanea | Work | old forum

Register

Miscellanea Forum

Re: UK away presenter at 4pm comatose bore.
Posted by: Penfold ()
Date: September 23, 2005 12:00PM

Maybe its just me but I think Tony deaf's comments have done their job - it now got you all at each other throats re programme content.

Radio as a medium needs to be ever changing to keep the attention of the listener, if it doesn't then people will just tune to another station. Dont knock the new guys they all have to start somewhere. People think its the easiest job in the world but until you have sat in the seat dont criticise what you have no idea about and give everyone a chance, the mistakes made can make the programme.

As I have had the pleasure of working/presenting on commercial radio in britain (it no longer exists - taken over by the big boys) then I agree any criticism is good because everyone tunes in to see what the hecks going on.

It must be great to be involved with a local community station as everyone can be involved with the running of the place (including the listeners)as the bigger stations you get your remit and have to get on with it.

So, to Tony Deaf - better if you direct your comments directly to the source and not just slang people off in open forum - you never know some of your criticism if directed in the right direction could help the station and also your listening experience. (Don't know if you have ever worked in radio but as I said earlier - give it a try (presenting) and then come back with comments)

The rest of you keep up the good work and dont let yourself be dragged into open debate!

Looking forward to listening when out in november as the sunshine definately helps with the listening experience.

Scotty looking forward to meeting when I come out in November (will email you for details etc.)

HAVE FUN!

Posted by: catwoman ()
Date: September 23, 2005 08:56PM

Penfold - nicely said!

Posted by: Lynne ()
Date: September 24, 2005 03:00AM

Hi,

Not going to get involved with programme content etc but I would like to give all the DJ's a pat on the back for all the work they do and help they give to local events especially for charity.

I am organising a charity event "The Island Show" for the local animal shelter SARA which incidently takes place tomorrow at 10am (I have to be there at 6.30am so what the **** am I doing here and not in bed !!!). I approached two of the local radio stations for two things 1) to attend the event with a roadshow sort of thing and
2) to ask for a bit of publicity.

BOTH stations came back with positive replies. I could only choose one station for the roadshow and even though the other is not attending it has been plugging the event for us.

Most of these guys work in the entertainment business or have bars but they are prepared to give up their free time to help others. WELL DONE guys and Thank You all ......whatever station you are broadcasting from.

Lynne

P.S. I am also in the entertainments field and have spent many years in front of an audience. I never have nerves and take whatever size crowd with a pinch of salt. I was interviewed on the radio last year and my bottle went completely, I was sooooo nervous. There is something daunting about talking to a glass window with just a microphone for company. Everyone has to start somewhere whatever the job, so give the guy a break!!

Posted by: Chev ()
Date: October 08, 2005 11:52AM

Hi Tony,(if that is your real name)
It was with great intrest that i have read,not only your comments, but, all the other comments regarding MY show!
Firstly,may I just say that YES at first I may have sounded boring, but what you have to realise is that, with any new programe,new ideas are very hard to come up with......we try some.....we fail.....we try some more until we find one or two that peeople seem to like!! We think that we have found those ideas now ...with "Chevs Fascinating Facts" and "The Very Very Strange Laws" which, if I might say, a lot of people are talking about!!
Secondly, it saddens me to think that a person,such as yourself, should have to post things like this on a forum to TRY and get a bit of notice...as the other people on this page have said .......we all make mistakes......we would not be human otherwise.......but then again......you would NEVER make a mistake would you???
I am not having a go at you Tony, but all I can ask is that you give,not only me but,all other Presenter a chance!?!?!
I don't know if you still listen to UK AWAY, I hope you do, but you can contact me at studio@ukawayfm.com and I will happily answer any more comments or remarks you may have.......or else we can meet in person, have a drink and a chat.......up to you!! Oh and by the way, do you have something against the IRISH??
You have increased listenership to the station with your comments.......for that we thank you......also thank you to everyone else for your kind comments.
Chev UK AWAY F.M.,IRISH and proud of it.

Posted by: steve bishop ()
Date: October 08, 2005 03:39PM

well tbh the whole radio scene in lanz is crap anyway,,,Rosemary Nightingale SAID she was starting a radio staion up!!!
But in stead produces a magazine full of adverts every month,,,,,

Posted by: scotty ()
Date: October 08, 2005 07:35PM

Im sorry you feel that way steve, we may not have the voices of radio 1, but we have a lot more going for us, like more songs per hour on ukaway an avg of 16tracks, and a chance to interact with requests and dedications, so many people have a pop but we do encourage views at the studio, its a shame we have to defend ourselves on here, as we just do our best for you guys and girls, would be great to hear how you would improve your community station as we do listen,and it hurts when people give us a throw away comment like your crap, as we work very hard for our 7euros per hour.

Posted by: ole ()
Date: October 09, 2005 12:09PM

I've always enjoyed the local radio in Lanza, although I have witnessed some rather dodgy moments. To be honest I've found the more dodgy bits the most entertaining !
Anyway if you don't like it switch it off - v. simple.
OR, even better, if it really bothers you, provide some positive feedback, but what's the point of just slagging it off on here ?
Ole

Posted by: Zannah ()
Date: October 09, 2005 01:39PM

I thoroghly enjoyed the radio too, only heard it in the taxi to/from the airport, but it was very entertaining... goodish music and some interesting snippets...let's face it, the taxi drivers go like maniacs ....so it was quite a nice distraction to listen to the radio rather than sit in silence on a white knuckle ride!!!!winking smiley

Posted by: Karen R ()
Date: October 09, 2005 02:41PM

It amazes me the afraid to complain brigade on here. tonydeaf rightfully has a winge and all the dont upset anybody pleasers pop up.

Scotty nobody made you accept 7 euro,s an hour. Most dj,s are only in the job to stroke there egos and get laid. You and YOU alone made the choice to accept the dj job so stop whining. So the pay is poor does that mean the bored senseless listeners have to feel sorry for you nodding like donkeys?

I,d also like to know how you judge your viewing figures? How can you tell for sure how many people listen in?

I also agree the numpty on at 4pm is a boring gimp. He is trying to be copy and be like Steve Wright in the afternoons from bbradio2. What the numpty needs to remember(is it chev or CHAV?) is that Steve Wright gives a FACT that interests people and its over in 5 seconds . CHAV drones on for 5 minutes though on the FACT and bores the hell out of everyone.

Face it CHAV, one year from now you will be stacking shelves for slightly less than 7 euros an hour with your dj days long behind you.

Date: October 09, 2005 08:41PM

Karen, im not complaining, i would do the job for nothing as i love music, and all i did was respond to someones thread just like all the other people do, im sure if i had a pop at something you held close to your heart you would probably give me your point of view back...still it would be a boring place to live in if we all had the same points of view, just think all the name calling is a bit daft. (7 euros an hour)must have been wobbly when i posted that, i missed out a couple of zeros

Posted by: Rosemary ()
Date: October 09, 2005 10:09PM

I think the comment on my starting a radio station are unfouned and i will certainly think about legal action if any more missrepresentations are made towards me.
Rosemary Nightingale Gazette publisher

Posted by: Penfold ()
Date: October 10, 2005 12:17PM

I thought this thread had been put to bed - but - obviously not!!!

The easy solution if you dont like what you hear then dont listen (thats what the channel select is for).

Karen R - I have got to say as an ex UK commercial presenter then I was in it for the money (you know, family to support, etc.....) I take it from your comments you are a well versed presenter - otherwise do keep you misguided comments to something you have experience of.

Just remember, like everyone else these guys provide a service and they are not the only ones that do it, so sort yourselves out and listen to what YOU want and stop complaining about something you dont want.

UKAWAY - keep up the good work!!!

HAVE FUN!

Posted by: Artie ()
Date: October 11, 2005 03:51PM

Tony, Just been reading this post with great interest, seams to me that you have too much time on your hands! if you dont like what you hear then turn the station over!!! i mean if your watching tv and dont like the programme your gonna turn over, not make a personal attack on the actors! well someone like you might!!!!!! i have personally know Chev for a long time and althought he really doesnt care what shallow minded ppl like your self think it bothers me,Chev was ASKED to come back to the radio station because of the loss of the irish listeners, it not like he woke up one morning and thought to him self, i know i'll be a dj!! the guys was on an Irish national radio station for petes sake, he's been doing this for a long time. and i'm sure that there are many more ppl that like his show than don't, my advise to you sit down and be quiet, if you have nothing nice to say, don't say anything! i know everyones entitled to there opinion but that doesnt mean starting a witch hunt and getting all the other sado's on the band wagon with you, this forim and what you written are here for anyone in the world to read. think about that!!!! rant over.

Posted by: Karen R ()
Date: October 11, 2005 04:35PM

So basically if something is shit its best not to say its shit incase the person who is the cause of the shit gets offended? Am i right?

What a load of S**T.

Posted by: ole ()
Date: October 12, 2005 09:56AM

Hear Hear Sandy and Artie !

Karen B, apologies for sounding sanctimonious, but I'd like to think it's part of being civilised to try not to offend people.
e.g. some synonyms of civilised from 'word 2000' :- cultured, refined, enlightened, polite, elegant, sophisticated.

Ole

Posted by: artie ()
Date: October 12, 2005 04:45PM

Karen as i said, everyone is entittled to their own opinion, however, starting a whole thread to slate someone.... come on!!! thought we'd come on as a race, from whitch hunts and the like, nice to see that what's his name has come on to deffend his post!!!! complete waste of space if you ask me! anyway chevs on in a bit and i'm tuning in, hows that for a go **** yourself!!!

Go on Chev!!!!

:-)

Neil.

Posted by: Bin Laden ()
Date: October 14, 2005 10:54PM

Accidently had on the ukaway channel at 5oclockish and had to listen to halloween arrived early show for all of 30 seconds before i woke up and flipped channels.

He,s shite.

Posted by: Billy ()
Date: October 19, 2005 08:26PM

I would just like to clarify a point made earlier regarding the Mad, Mad Footy show which is obviously regarded with some contempt by David the Sports Manager. The show was indeed supported by the other dj´s who, each in turn, did indeed submit a letter backing the show.
I know the two lads involved and they both worked very hard on both the content and material for the show, which made it a firm favourite with many people on the island. Unfortunately the new sports show has done little more than increase Saturday listenership on rival stations.
I feel that if information is submitted on this forum then it should be done honestly or not at all.

Posted by: Elle1971 ()
Date: April 19, 2008 08:05PM

Bumping up for new members to read.

Elle xx

Date: April 30, 2008 05:58PM

Crikey, thought this thread had well and truly bitten the dust, i wouldnt mind as much but i do the 4pm show now lol

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

LanzaroteIsland.com is not responsible for the content of the messages on this forum. Comments posted are owned by the person that posts them and we do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message. The messages express the views of the author of the message, not the views of LanzaroteIsland.com.

Lanzarote forum by Phorum