Register

Miscellanea Forum

Other stuff on Lanzarote 
Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Demanding 5 year Old!
Posted by: MadMuvver ()
Date: December 06, 2005 11:47AM

With a nickname like mine you would know I have children, 6 to be precise!!! Oh my God you all say and please spare me all the jokes of "haven´t you got a TV" I´ve heard them all before.

I have 5 year old boy who is a bit of a nightmare, refuses to tidy his room, everyday it looks like hurricane delta has been in there. If he´s nauty and is banished to his room within 5 mins he´s out the window. He always has an answer for everything and when you ask him to do something he says "I´m not your slave!"

I also have 5 girls which obviously doesn´t help him much.

Are there any mum´s out there that are pulling their hair out! Or mum´s that have sound advice that actually works?

Many thanx

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Demanding 5 year Old!
Posted by: oldgoat ()
Date: December 06, 2005 11:58AM

Shouldn't this be in a parenting forum??

Date: December 06, 2005 12:06PM

Am I not allow to use this forum to talk to other mothers in lanzarote that maybe going through a similar situation?

Posted by: Zannah ()
Date: December 06, 2005 12:07PM

MM

I think at 5 you are expecting a bit much, don't you????

My son is 19 and he never tidies his room either....winking smiley In fact the older he gets the worse he gets.

I had the good sense to stop after one though....

But if I were you I would..........Give him a GOOD HIDING gel!!!!!! Don't spare the rod!!!

I wish I'd done that with my son when he was a lot younger, he would have more respect and decency now I am sure of that!!!

I shall just put my tin hat on now, shall I? before all the do gooder, PC types get going??.........winking smiley

ZP

Old Goat,

Shouldn't you be on a farming forum????

ZP

Date: December 06, 2005 12:34PM

ZP

Thanx for sticking up for me you did made me laugh!
I´ve tried the back hander - doesn´t work, now I´ll get all the do gooders reporting me! Praps I should throw the dinosaus away?

x

C

Definately a boy thing, never had such problems with the girls. Going to try and put locks on the windows (just caught him getting out the window again!), little bugger.

x

Posted by: steve ()
Date: December 06, 2005 01:40PM

let him get out of the window and don't let him back in, don't tidy the room and don't feed him, also remove all toys from the room and put them outside.....all in all be as bloody minded with him as you can he'll soon get the message.

Posted by: Ange ()
Date: December 06, 2005 02:21PM

Get someone to bring you the Supernanny book or DVD over from England. Her tips will sort him out!

Date: December 06, 2005 05:18PM

Ange

The books on it´s way my mother-in-law is sending it over for christmas, it´ll probably be the best present I receive in my stocking!

x

Steve

Your antics, did they work for you?

x

Posted by: sally h ()
Date: December 06, 2005 06:07PM

Hi Madmuver

Have bad news!!!!!! Boys get worse as they get older! Mine is 14 and walks into a room laughing and out of it again with strops and going on about "lifes so unfair". I call it the Kevins (Harry Enfield). Have tried smacking, grounding, taking things away, crying and laughing at him the only thing that cuts down the attitude (which started at 5 and i thought it was a phase) was to really make a fuss and set up some kind of reward system when he was well behaved. Also i realised that when he spoke to me i didnt really listen (we have a all done it when our children have gone on and on) so i just took 20 mins to have a chat about what he wanted and it really works.

Hope it works out for you

sally h x

Posted by: ole ()
Date: December 06, 2005 06:10PM

6 kids !!!!! Phew !!

I’ve just got the 3, and not kids anymore the youngest is 16.
But when they were kids, and still today, one word from me and …………
Well they just looked at me like I was stupid and carried on regardless.

Nowadays they’re more likely to also ask for a few quid as well whilst they’re at it, sometimes you just can’t win.

If you’ve already brought up 5 of them OK, then you’ve proved you’re a good enough parent, some kids just seem to grow up differently despite their upbringing. Maybe the more you try the more of a problem it gets. If he’s really bad then he might have hyperactive tendencies and I believe that can be easily adjusted medically.

If anything worked for my kids it’s shaming them for bad things they do, subtle mental torture rather than physical. Failing that an odd slap across the legs never did much harm IMHO.

Ole

Posted by: Will ()
Date: December 06, 2005 08:35PM

From what I have been told....!!!

Don't go down to their level, don't try and be their friend, you are their parent, certainly don't tidy up after them - at 5 they should very easily be able to link rewards with tidy rooms.

Date: December 07, 2005 12:48PM

All I´m worried about is getting it right with him now, not just the room tidying thing but the back chat and temper tantrums. I have to try and nip it in the bud before he reaches his teens.

I don´t want his future wife to think that I was a mother that let him get away with murder and think that women are there for the soul purpose for cleaning up after them.

He is definately in a battle of wills when it comes to his sisters as they tend to boss him about (which I am addressing).

It is amazing how children copy their parents, as I get the comments from him like "well Daddy does it!" (when he kicks his shoes off and leaves them in the middle of the lounge - so Daddy isn´t a brilliant role model).

But anyway thanks for all your advice, can´t wait to get the Supernanny book, I wonder if she would come to Lanzarote ... that would be interesting!

xxxx

Date: December 07, 2005 01:31PM

MM

I think you have proved that you have got the situation well under control, the very fact that you are thinking so deeply about it must mean that you stand a good chance of getting it sorted sooner rather than later.

Sally got it right I think when she said "I realised I didn't always listen when he spoke to me" ..I daresay we have all been guilty of it but I have strong memories of picking Blair up from childminder/school and, instead of listening to how his day had gone, just turning the hifi on in the car as I drove him home. And then plonking him in front of the telly while I prepared meals. If I had my time again .......

Yes, we are role models too, and typically they always copy the bad things, I mean he wouldn't copy YOU tidying his room would he?? winking smiley It's like swear words too isn't it?? They hear them once and by golly they are committed to memory!!!! And shouted out at the worst possible moment.

But I think you are on the right course MM, if you have 5 good daughters then there is every likeliehood that you will end up with a very good son too!!! And I bet you do!!

All the best!!

ZP

Posted by: Cyberpunk ()
Date: December 07, 2005 11:18PM

A mother of 6 is asking for advice on this daft site about parenting?

Gotta be a wind up .Or you are dense. (miles better education sites on the internet than this one luv).

By the way what 5 year old is gonna give a crap about having a tidy bedroom? Slapping the poor child for not complying to your super tidy bedroom standards???

You people deserve a sharp slap in the face for thinking such a thing.

Someone tell me this is a wind up thread pleeeese!!!

Posted by: Ange ()
Date: December 08, 2005 11:44AM

Its not a wind up, it just should be moved into the misc section instead of Lanza section

Date: December 08, 2005 01:12PM

If it wasn´t interesting for you to read, Why did you decide to even comment, or even click onto the thread in the first place - I don´t think it´s me that´s the dense one?

I also didn´t realise I had to put something like this on the misc section along with the 7 slags of PDC.

If you have a problem with this or feel it is a below the belt topic then complain about it and praps you will have your wish and it will be moved to a more suitable section.

It´s so nice to know that there are people out there that get more fun out of being a bully than to being supportive.

Many thanks

Date: December 08, 2005 01:19PM

MM

You'd never believe Cyberpunk is a dad would you??? He has a little girl, in fact a baby girl. Well that is what someone told me anyway, not him though, I don't ever listen to him...and neither should youwinking smiley

ZP

Date: December 08, 2005 02:33PM

Thanx ZP,

Never mind, maybe he´s a little stressed just having the one baby ... keeping him up all night. I have 2 baby girls one of 1 yr and the other of 5 mths, along with an 18 year old, 14 year old, 10 year old and my poor demanding 5 year old - he doesn´t know what he´s talking about so your right I shouldn´t listen.

Anyway, thanx for your lovely post made me feel alot better about myself and thanx to all the other people on here for all your advice and experiences.

xxxxxxxxxxx

Date: December 08, 2005 02:40PM

MM

Gosh isn't it funny the conclusions you jump to ??

I just assumed your hyper boy was the youngest, probably cos I have a friend who had 5 boys and then a girl and so then she stopped having anymore.......I just thought you had done the same in reverse!!!!

Crikey you must have boundless energy pet, good on you..

ZP

Date: December 08, 2005 03:04PM

ZP

Blimmey 5 boys! unbelievable, how does she cope, I´m only moaning on about 1 boy, can´t begin to imagine what it would be like having 5 boys. I do find girls alot easier, except you get the worst from girls when they reach their teens (so beware cyberpunk). But then I have heard boys can be the same - boys turning into men, letting go of the apron strings, fighting with their dads.

My biggest problem is sometimes I´m a bit soft, I feel guilty if I tell them off but I have to keep saying to myself - it´s not that you don´t want them to have fun it´s because what they are doing is unsafe, or that you are teaching them to look after themselves etc.

We all live and learn.

MM
x

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

LanzaroteIsland.com is not responsible for the content of the messages on this forum. Comments posted are owned by the person that posts them and we do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message. The messages express the views of the author of the message, not the views of LanzaroteIsland.com.

Lanzarote forum by Phorum