Register

Miscellanea Forum

Other stuff on Lanzarote 
Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Who Pays
Posted by: pete ()
Date: March 20, 2006 05:27PM

Irrespective if it is this or another forum, who pays for the time when you are logged on?
You, your employer, your friend, your family?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Who Pays
Posted by: Cyber ()
Date: March 20, 2006 08:54PM

Nobody.

Web browsing for me is amusing trash time mostly which aids the relaxation process.

winking smiley

Posted by: Ange ()
Date: March 21, 2006 11:03AM

I do. Welcome back to the land of 4ums CP, I could have sworn you'd made a new years resolution not to post, you have been awol for months!

Posted by: ZannahPannah ()
Date: April 08, 2006 04:34PM

So here she is again.................Our Dottie at the dig and at the mix..but

People who live in greenhouses have to be careful who they throw stones at Cyfrin, Daffodil, Jumping Bean or whatever else you call yourself...I mean, look at your own circumstances..!!!

In the meantime..

Celtygirl 3 Dottie 0...winking smiley

ZP

Posted by: ZannahPannah ()
Date: April 10, 2006 10:38AM

I don't have to crawl, lady...I am able bodied...

What I really meant when I said “your circumstances” was the hours you spend surfing....and I don't mean the net.. I mean the waves. I'd have thought if you are as uncomfortable as you say then rolling about in the foam would hardly be feasible...

And what do you mean??? "Unique postition of being partially disabled??" I know at least 2 dozen people who meet the critera you describe, and NOT one of them whinges the way you do.... Dottie why do you insist that you have the monopoly on suffering? It is rotten that you are ill but why take every opportunity you can get to rub other folk up the wrong way by making digs and sly insinuations.

But I did promise myself I wouldn't have anything to do with you again and I have broken that but I won't be doing it again. Much better to stay in my happy sunlit Utopia where nothing ever goes wrong …winking smiley

Posted by: Will ()
Date: April 20, 2006 11:02AM

Back to the point (and was there ever one Pete?!)

Who cares? Personal use of internet at work costs eff all. As long as you use it responsibly and within work guidelines.

Posted by: Lynne ()
Date: April 20, 2006 01:23PM

Sorry Celty girl, I'm going to say summit before it get's "binned"

I am NOT going to take sides........(I don't do playground arguements)

but

Will says

<Personal use of internet at work costs eff all. As long as you use it responsibly and within work guidelines.>

Providing your work guidelines include the allowance of personal computer use during work hours that is fine. I agree that actually using the computer costs nothing if on broadband (ADSL) but the employees time does cost the employer money as the employee is being paid for NOT working.
Okay if you are self-employed or are paid SOLELY on results/commision.

I employed a large number of people in the past. (I had a small chain of shops) My policy was if EVERYTHING had been done then the staff were allowed to read a book/magazine etc (we didn't have computers) if there were no customers in the shops. Woe betide them though if I turned up and found them reading if the carpet hadn't been hoovered, the displays weren't tidy or articles were not priced.

It's give and take but an arrangement that should not be abused. At the end of the day, the boss pays the wages.
Definition of wage = payment for WORK done.

Lynne

Date: April 21, 2006 03:29PM

I agree with you Celty - Pete's arguements go round in circles.

No employee turns up to work and works 7, 8, 9 hours or whatever solid without breaking for social chit chat etc.

Pete I assume David Brent is the boss you model yourself upon?

Why limit your arguement to internet? WHat happans over I had a dodgy curry which suddenly hits around 11am and I have the squits the rest of the day?!!! Do you deduct my pay? Who pays for that?

What I meant that originally is that 99.9% of employees like myself duck into websites briefly every so often maybe when there is a quiet moment at work. I am hardly going to be posting merrily away during period end or the budget prepartion or something.

Every work place I have been at prevents you from getting onto anything remotely dodgy - only tightwads like Pete who won't pay up for proper net protection.

Its like owning a car or a house pete. It's not "free" once you've bought it - you have to pay for the relevant licensing and insurance - the internet equivalent is a decent firewall and back up systems.

I still don't see why ANY of this thread is remotely relevant to anything nor what your very convoluted point is now - never mind what it was when you started?

Is there nothing in the Daily Princess Diana to keep you entertained today?

Date: April 24, 2006 11:04AM

Pete,

You seem to confuse with productivity with time spent at the desk.
YOu obviously manage/own a small firm where where appearances are more important than what you do.

I once worked in that type of firm - straight out of a large footsie company where I was used to meeting group and stock market deadlines to a small private trading company. It was more important for us to be there on time looking smart than anything that was actually done. Having been told to put my tie back on by the owner one July afternoon having just got back to the gym dripping (nice thought for you ladies....) was virtually the last straw.

Pete maybe you should become a school teacher or something. In the Real World people like myself are paid to achieve results on or before a certain deadline. Within reason how we get there is up to us. There certainly is no room here for clock watchers and David Brents like yourself.

And your ludicrous claims about Britain is no longer great because we don't work flat out anymore is hilarious.

Poser for you Pete - tho you may struggle to answer it.

YOu would agree that the financial services sector in London drives the whole UK economy. How then can your Victorian view of working practises fit in with the liquid lunches, the friday afternoons in the pub and the general work hard play hard culture, jumbo bonuses culture that contradicts your 9-5 model??

Date: April 24, 2006 03:38PM

FFS Pete answer the question.

The point being that if he is out on the lash at lunch time you can rest assured that if all is not well back at the ranch he will be out.

Glad we agree that staff should be able to do as they like as long as they achieve thier targets.

If they are spending too long on the internet surely management is not setting tough enough targets - but then you would have to reward staff better for achieving more - end of the day Pete you'll be paying out more or losing your best staff and you'll be left with the chaff who can't get a job elsewhere.

Date: April 24, 2006 05:23PM

Wow what a boss you are Pete!! Never hired a lemon? So how come all the Oxbridge types, hedge fund traders, Magic circle lawyers the types who work 80/90 hours a week (you would approve) not all working for you?

Make all self employed? Well I'm sure the staff would want to for tax reasons - but have you never heard of IR 35? But would cost you more in the long run and bye bye staff morale.

Date: April 25, 2006 10:36AM

Right everyone is happy - so why have you wasted so much time on a pointless exercise such as this?!!!!

Pages: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

LanzaroteIsland.com is not responsible for the content of the messages on this forum. Comments posted are owned by the person that posts them and we do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message. The messages express the views of the author of the message, not the views of LanzaroteIsland.com.

Lanzarote forum by Phorum