Forum about Lanzarote

Forums: Lanzarote | Miscellanea | Work | old forum

Register

Miscellanea Forum

Other stuff on Lanzarote 
Learnin Spanish
Posted by: annmoo ()
Date: October 24, 2006 03:08PM

Hi all; am finally going to get my act together and learn more than a few random spanish phrases, so the question is can anyone recommend a cd/phrasebook kit for me and also if anyone teaches spanish in lanzarote so i could combine a holiday with a bit of learning. all help really appreciated as i'm not getting any younger and red wine is killing off the brain cells!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Learnin Spanish
Posted by: Elle1971 ()
Date: October 24, 2006 08:25PM

Hola Annmoo. Buenos Tardes. Que Tal?

I used a freebie CD that came in a Sunday Paper a few months back. Oh, and a "Teach Yourself Spanish" Book. But all they were really any good for were for the really REALLY basic stuff. I've learned a lot more by just getting stuck in and trying to speak to as many locals as possible. One thing I've been warned about (although I wouldn't have a clue anyway), is that the Spanish spoken on the island is akin to the difference between Southern England and Geordie. But that being said... if you learn basic Spanish you'll get by anyway.

As regards someone on the island who teaches Spanish... There are always flyers on the notice boards around the island. Also in the Gazette (not sure about www.gazettelive.com but you could be lucky). I can't personally recommend anyone... but if you need me to get any contact`details from notice boards for you - then drop me an email at elle@elledraper.com. We are always trawling the notice boards anyway... so I'd be happy to help you out.

Hopefully someone else may be able to recommend a CD, book or something for you. But have a great holiday! Oh, and red wine may kill off the brain cells... but what a way to go eh!

Hugs, Elle xx

Posted by: Lynne ()
Date: October 24, 2006 10:37PM

I can recommend Michel Thomas Spanish course. He has a unique way of teaching and none of this " How to order a coffee/ ask directions" rubbish

Posted by: biffa ()
Date: October 25, 2006 08:38AM

Try a cd course called 'Linkword Languages' by Dr M Gruneberg. This course will give your learning a real boost and is unlike any other course i have tried. The format is word-picture association and really helps you to remember and greatly increases your vocabulary. You'll need to get yourself a decent Spanish teacher to go hand in hand with any cd course. believe me there are lots of supposedly teachers on the island and ive sampled some of them and was not impressed, i think its a case of i can speak english so why not pass myself off as a teacher of Spanish. I now have a superb teacher but i had to wait for almost 6 months until she could fit me in to her busy schedule so if your hoping to combine a couple of weeks holiday with a few lessons i would forget it, you'll be better off enrolling in an adult education course that they run at a lot of colleges and high schools.

Posted by: Guillaume ()
Date: October 26, 2006 07:18PM

i tried the freebies CD from the sunday paper, and except buenos dias and the funny voice of the taxi driver, i don't remember anything
i'm doing spanish beginner classes at the moment, and i'm learning the real basics

as for any other languages the best way to learn is to go on the place, stay in a spanish environnment, and keep talking and meeting spanish speakers

worked very well for me with italian and english

Posted by: Elle1971 ()
Date: December 30, 2006 05:37PM

So how is everyone's Spanish coming along then?

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

LanzaroteIsland.com is not responsible for the content of the messages on this forum. Comments posted are owned by the person that posts them and we do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message. The messages express the views of the author of the message, not the views of LanzaroteIsland.com.

Lanzarote forum by Phorum