Forum about Lanzarote

Forums: Lanzarote | Miscellanea | Work | old forum

Register

Miscellanea Forum

Other stuff on Lanzarote 
Am I the only one?
Posted by: Elle1971 ()
Date: November 20, 2006 01:48PM

I have the indeterminable joy of doing lots of market research at the moment. One type of place I use to gain information is forums, such as this one. You can gain lots of value from them.

However, I was in one today... which shall remain nameless... and was horrified by the poor command of the English language.

Ok, so I can be quite anal when it comes to grammar and spelling (although I am at times the world's worst)... but this just beggars belief. People actually write whole paragraphs using "short-speak"!

For example... these are some I came up against:

"NE1". Ok, well I thought that was a London Postal area... but no, apparently it's "anyone".

"...i definatly agree, n thats exactly wot me n me m8 r doin, im savin alredy lol i h8 bein ome nw after bein ther!..." This translates to "I'm an idiot who can't be bothered to put into practise the English lessons I had at school.

Grrr!

OK, I'll step off my soapbox now!

Hugs, Elle

PS. NE1 gonna ansa dis... cuz Id B intrsted 2 c who duz!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2006 01:50PM by Elle1971.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Am I the only one?
Posted by: Lynne ()
Date: November 21, 2006 03:42AM

The one that gets me is .....aksed or aks instead of asked or ask usually closely followed by "man".

Good post Elle.... glad you aksed, man !

Date: November 21, 2006 11:33AM

Ha ha ha ha ha! I'm so glad it's not just me who gets cross.... innit! ;-)

Posted by: Lynne ()
Date: November 21, 2006 06:12PM

I've just re read through this thread and do you realise we sound soooooooo OLD.

I remember my parents making similar comments when I was a teenager...........and it wasn't that long ago (tee hee)

Date: November 21, 2006 06:40PM

Nust admit... I've succombed to shortening words in a text... but only if it going onto two texts (I'm too tight to pay for two!) ;-)

And yes Lynne... it does make us sound old! Don't even get me onto the music of today! ;-P

Posted by: Will2 ()
Date: November 23, 2006 11:28AM

Ditto can't stand text talk!!

NE1?! New one on me! Def not a london post code!! We have N,NW,E,EC,SE,SW,W,WC def no NE - prob Newcastle!

Date: November 27, 2006 01:53AM

So Will love... no North East one... but you do have a Water Closet?

Ha ha ha ha ha! You're so civilised hon!

PS: Yes, Alan has already explained it would be West Central! But hey... my gutter mentality just thought "toilet!"

Sorry, you do not have permission to post/reply in this forum.

LanzaroteIsland.com is not responsible for the content of the messages on this forum. Comments posted are owned by the person that posts them and we do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message. The messages express the views of the author of the message, not the views of LanzaroteIsland.com.

Lanzarote forum by Phorum